The Winter of Discontent #3 Food, energy, transport, jobs, housing, cost of living etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
5p cut doesn't seem enough, we were at 1.30something before the pandemic, so
5p off from 1.67 2 years later is still massively inflated.

P.s. re:washing machine, it was the filter afterall!! Thanks for the tips, it should
last for a bit longer now. It is still old machine so will save fora replacement but it
Is now working again 👍😁

• Heart
Reactions: 15
5p cut doesn't seem enough, we were at 1.30something before the pandemic, so
5p off from 1.67 2 years later is still massively inflated.

P.s. re:washing machine, it was the filter afterall!! Thanks for the tips, it should
last for a bit longer now. It is still old machine so will save fora replacement but it
Is now working again 👍😁
Bloody filters. I found a kirby grip and the removeable liner from a bra in mine once 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Bloody filters. I found a kirby grip and the removeable liner from a bra in mine once 😂
I up-ended mine once and delved into the tube that feeds into the filter. I came out with 3 bra under wires, an arm from a toy and £1.83 in lose change.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 16
Not really budget-related, but food-related: We're again in a situation here where it's almost impossible to buy flour, pasta, oil, rice, etc.

We had to use the "divide and conquer" approach to shopping today, as in the previous weeks, it was impossible to get everything at one store. They are almost always out of one thing or the other and if they have it, you're allowed to only one or two items max.
The store I was at was completely out of sunflower oil, multiple other oils, and flour. Boyfriend was able to score one 1kg bag of flour, but no rice. I'm off work the next four days and I already foresee myself hitting multiple shops just to get everything.
I've been baking our bread for ~10 years and would like to keep it that way, plus bakeries have the same problems with supplies and the bread prices are also only going up.

Reactions: 5
Not really budget-related, but food-related: We're again in a situation here where it's almost impossible to buy flour, pasta, oil, rice, etc.

We had to use the "divide and conquer" approach to shopping today, as in the previous weeks, it was impossible to get everything at one store. They are almost always out of one thing or the other and if they have it, you're allowed to only one or two items max.
The store I was at was completely out of sunflower oil, multiple other oils, and flour. Boyfriend was able to score one 1kg bag of flour, but no rice. I'm off work the next four days and I already foresee myself hitting multiple shops just to get everything.
I've been baking our bread for ~10 years and would like to keep it that way, plus bakeries have the same problems with supplies and the bread prices are also only going up.

Same here, some of the shelves are empty. Oil and flour have been fine as rice, but we've had no butter/margarine, pasta/spaghetti and tinned sweetcorn in my local Asda for about a week, oh and I couldn't find hula hoops for about 2-3 weeks - thankfully they're back but obviously dearer in price (seems like Aldi has totally stopped the ready salted ones) - my youngest kept moaning I was forgetting her fav crisps on purpose :sneaky: - difficult explaining supply chain issues to a 5 years old

Local Lidl for the past few weeks has had no passta, no macaroni pasta - for like 4 weeks now, no spaghetti, only the 29p range pasta. No tuna bake sauce for atleast 4 weeks.:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 4
Strangely, my Tesco shop yesterday I had no subs for the first time in ages, and I got oil, flour, pasta etc. Must be a regional thing though, I’m in the north east and the only thing I struggle to get regularly is baby formula.

Reactions: 3
I'm in Germany and it's pretty ridiculous - like when the pandemic first hit, anything made out of flour is hard to get (plus rice, etc) and Germany is self-sufficient in growing wheat and many other grains. No need for panic buying.
Sunflower oil is largely imported from Russia and Ukraine and it probably will stay a problem. I typically use it for cooking, but I don't mind using something else.
The Aldi we normally go for for "bulk stuff", which means pasta, rice, oats, and similar in our case hasn't had canned tomatoes or any tomato products for weeks now, I think even before the war started. I have no clue why, no other store I have been to since then had any trouble with those products. Since I use canned tomatoes quite a lot I now pick up at least one can every time I'm in a store, to avoid running out again.

Nothing major in the scheme of things, but no cucumbers in tesco for 2 weeks now. Why?

Reactions: 2
I'm in Germany and it's pretty ridiculous - like when the pandemic first hit, anything made out of flour is hard to get (plus rice, etc) and Germany is self-sufficient in growing wheat and many other grains. No need for panic buying.
Sunflower oil is largely imported from Russia and Ukraine and it probably will stay a problem. I typically use it for cooking, but I don't mind using something else.
The Aldi we normally go for for "bulk stuff", which means pasta, rice, oats, and similar in our case hasn't had canned tomatoes or any tomato products for weeks now, I think even before the war started. I have no clue why, no other store I have been to since then had any trouble with those products. Since I use canned tomatoes quite a lot I now pick up at least one can every time I'm in a store, to avoid running out again.
I never quite realised how many food products sunflower oil is in. Pretty much every other packaged food product has oil of some kind in it, and generally it's sunflower oil.

Road repairs are just a money-making exercise, the council don't care how long the repairs last just as long as it's done.

We have a huge plastic problem we have a huge road problem. They know that plastic can be used to make virtually indestructible roads ( and houses) and yet payout every year for potholes to be filled very badly and even when it's a complete resurface it only lasts until the winter when the cold and wet brings the potholes back
My brother had a mate that works on the roads.

Local councils used to have their own crews maintaining the roads properly. But they're not busy all year round. So some genius contractor from the private sector came in and said save money, fire your crews and just hire out private companies to do it as and when needed.

As a result, road maintenance comes out of a budget and if they want to save money, they don't bother fixing them. The contractors deliberately do a crap job so that there is more work for them.

And it's cost everyone more in the long run.

Reactions: 11
Random one but has anybody else noticed the quality of wraps has gone really downhill. We use them to make pizza's and they are so thin and flimsy now

Ps also still really concerned about the cost of living in general. My husband has today been informed he's getting a 4% pay rise. I am a flexible bank worker and getting nothing 😢

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
Random one but has anybody else noticed the quality of wraps has gone really downhill. We use them to make pizza's and they are so thin and flimsy now

Ps also still really concerned about the cost of living in general. My husband has today been informed he's getting a 4% pay rise. I am a flexible bank worker and getting nothing 😢
Can't say I noticed about the wraps, but I don't buy them that often, less than once a month...

4% isn't bad, but of course, in the current climate, 4% is still less than the inflation, so I understand that cost of living is something you're worried about. Heck, I don't think I know anybody who isn't, the way things go you'd need a raise of ~20% and who is getting that (unless you maybe get a new job with considerably better pay).
The yearly salary talk in my company is next month and I'm quite interested to see how it goes. I'm shy, I don't think I'd have it in me to ask for a raise on my own, so in a sense, I'm thankful that the company has it scheduled for everybody.

• Heart
I'm getting an extra £40 pcm pay rise. I appreciate it but in the same breath its barely going to make a difference. Plus as I'm on UC I'll just get less UC

• Sad
Reactions: 12
I'm getting an extra £40 pcm pay rise. I appreciate it but in the same breath its barely going to make a difference. Plus as I'm on UC I'll just get less UC
We got a £2 per hour pay rise ( not related to inflation or anything but for job performance basically) but in my sector pay hasn't increased for about 7 years so makes almost no difference at this point.
Not sur eif anyone knows, I was wondering, I have never been able to claim benefits, but for UC (which I now qualify for based on my salary) would having savings stop me from being eligable?

Universal Credit (UC): Capital/ Savings
Any capital/ savings you have under £6,000 is ignored.

Any capital/ savings you have between £6,000 and £16,000 is treated as if it gives you a monthly income of £4.35 for each £250, or part of £250, regardless of whether it does or not. So if you have £6,300 in a savings account, £6,000 of it will be ignored and the other £300 will be treated as giving you a monthly income of £8.70.

If you have capital/ savings over £16,000 as a single claimant or as a couple you will not be entitled to Universal Credit. Some capital can be ignored when working out if you are entitled to Universal Credit.

If you are a member of a couple but have to make a claim as a single person, your partner's capital/ savings will still be taken into account.

From Turn2Us

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.