The Winter of Discontent #2 Food, energy, transport, jobs, housing etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I tell you, I'm envious of the hunter gatherers still living their way of life around the world. It seems such a simple lifestyle from the outside looking in. Getting their heat from a fire, hunting for their food (keeping active), no TVs, phones, electronics, just living as we humans were always meant to and being one with nature, and living in a close knit circle, helping one another. No worries about rising food costs, gas prices, random pandemics, etc. Haha I might sound mad, but the last year and half has made me realise the shallow life we live. Oh well, I'm never gonna be a hunter gatherer, so the modern grind continues 😅
Do you know what I have been thinking this too! If ever I tell anyone they think im mad 😂

Reactions: 4
Netflix are not only creative with their TV series but also with their accounting practices too.

Where are all these lefties criticising Netflix for not paying their fair share? A deafening silence!

I'm all for banning companies trading in the UK if they don't pay their fair share. I'm sick and tired of the small (and in many cases, struggling) businesses being hounded for every last penny they owe by HRMC, but the big guys continually getting away with paying very little - despite earning billions in sales. If you are making only a small number of millions in profit on a multi billion turnover, your business isn't that brilliant.

I wonder what Netflix's TRUE UK profit is, before creative accounting and money siphoned off to tax havens?

It can't be that difficult to block Netflix services, if required to.
Why blame the "lefties" for this? It's the Tories that have been in power for the past 11 years. Their tax policies are allowing this to happen.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Why blame the "lefties" for this? It's the Tories that have been in power for the past 11 years. Their tax policies are allowing this to happen.
I should have been more specific. The middle class, metropolitan wokeist left.

Because they are happy to jump on certain people avoiding taxes (usually right wing, and/or Conservative) but are blind and very silent when their favourite pro EU companies, or favourite left wing celebs actively avoid tax. Somewhat double standards.

Corbyn previously banging on about the ills of tax avoidance, whilst seen holding an Apple iPad in his hand. Utter Hypocrisy.

Apple are another whom don't pay their fair share, but make massive sales in the UK every year.

Tax avoidance has been happening for a lot longer than 11 years. Nothing was done about it either, under 13 years of Labour - if anything it got worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
Netflix are not only creative with their TV series but also with their accounting practices too.

Where are all these lefties criticising Netflix for not paying their fair share? A deafening silence!

I'm all for banning companies trading in the UK if they don't pay their fair share. I'm sick and tired of the small (and in many cases, struggling) businesses being hounded for every last penny they owe by HRMC, but the big guys continually getting away with paying very little - despite earning billions in sales. If you are making only a small number of millions in profit on a multi billion turnover, your business isn't that brilliant.

I wonder what Netflix's TRUE UK profit is, before creative accounting and money siphoned off to tax havens?

It can't be that difficult to block Netflix services, if required to.
They only scream and protest at those they are told to scream and protest about. Controlled puppets.

• Sick
Well, I’ve had it. The dreaded email saying my G&E is going up. 4.5 years ago I was paying £45pm for both - now it’s £115 😤 Still the cheapest tariff so no point in swapping.
Currently praying this mild weather lasts until May next year.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
Do you know what I have been thinking this too! If ever I tell anyone they think im mad 😂
@Tatooine_legend1 Tried to quote both these posts but won't let me for some reason so tagged you instead. lots of preppers and CT are all clubbing together to buy land and form new communities so you are not on your own and not at all mad. Living in these times is hard on the soul and so many just want peace

Reactions: 1
Because they are happy to jump on certain people avoiding taxes but are blind and silent when their favourite companies, or favourite celebs actively avoid tax.

Tax avoidance has been happening for a lot longer than 11 years. Nothing was done about it either, under 13 years of Labour.

I don't think this is true at all. I am in "leftie" circles and we all think it is terrible that these huge multinationals are not paying tax whilst Rishi is raising NI on us all.

Reactions: 14

I don't think this is true at all. I am in "leftie" circles and we all think it is terrible that these huge multinationals are not paying tax whilst Rishi is raising NI on us all.
They are too busy cancelling people for wrong thinking to get involved in the real problems of the world How can you not see what the left has become? They are no longer my beloved left. I don't recognise them at all.

I am leaning towards the left and can't bear netflix, apple, facebook, amazon and co who are not paying their taxes. Actually I don't anyone in my circle that is ok with that. How condescending is it to think that people with different opinions are just doing what they are told? Critical thinking is not exclusive.

But I am getting used to see populist movements attacking people living in cities for all the ills of society instead of going after big corporations. Turning people against people instead of pointing the finger to those who are in charge to edictate laws to force companies to pay their fair share or highlighting the power of lobbies among the political class.

Reactions: 12

You may not agree.

However there are an awful lot of hypocrites out there.

They'll take to Facebook and Twitter on their Apple products (all active tax avoiders) to protest about tax avoidance.

They'll also do their shopping on Amazon (another tax avoider), be seen drink pricey coffees from Starbucks and Caffè Nero (both tax avoiders).

This is where the hypocrisy lies. You can't bang on about tax avoidance, if you willingly purchase products and services from the companies guilty of it.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
You may not agree.

They'll take to Facebook and Twitter on their Apple products (all active tax avoiders) to protest about tax avoidance.

They'll also do their shopping on Amazon (another tax avoider), be seen drink pricey coffees from Starbucks and Caffè Nero (both tax avoiders).

This is where the hypocrisy lies. You can't bang on about tax avoidance, if you willingly purchase products and services from the companies guilty of it.
Screen_Shot_2021-03-01_at_2.28.39_PM.png

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Well, I’ve had it. The dreaded email saying my G&E is going up. 4.5 years ago I was paying £45pm for both - now it’s £115 😤 Still the cheapest tariff so no point in swapping.
Currently praying this mild weather lasts until May next year.
I've just checked mine and it's saying my gas will go from £20 to £22 a month so not as bad as I was expecting. If I add on average use electric it's £105 😳 it'll be higher though as I've had problems with my electric supply so will have debt added. So think we'll be sat in the dark 😅 I currently pay £84 a month (not sure if this includes electric)

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Modern life seems to be making more people mentally and physically ill. It cannot be good for us. Look up the Hadza in Tanzania. For me they live a beautiful lifestyle. But even their way of life is being changed as farmers start encroaching more and more onto the lands they live.

They used to be thriving, but now their numbers are dwindling and there's only around 300 active members living the genuine hunter gatherer lifestyle, even others from the same tribe have been slowly adapting to modern life, it's a shame.

I read that missionaries and tourists go visit the tribes, this is all well and good, but they are taking sweets and other 'western" foods to them, now some of the Hadza are becoming diabetic and their health is deteriorating because of that.

Anyway, sorry for essay but I swear this way of life is not good for us. We have all these possessions, but ultimately we are just chasing the next possession. We aren't one with nature any longer. Close knit communities are pretty much dead. People seem to be getting more and more aggressive and frustrated. People are way more selfish too. Society is not becoming better, in my opinion.

Reactions: 10
You may not agree.

Are you also never giving any money to any of those? I don't have an iphone - but a mac because I often have to transport my laptop with me. Haven't put my feet in Starbucks and other coffee chains for years - I support independent cafés or I have my own coffee. Bought three things on Amazon my entire life - but I know I am privileged to have time to shop or spend a bit more money on stuff I am looking for. Same for clothes - second hand or produced in Europe those last years - but again I have the means for that so won't spit at people buying their clothes at Primark and supporting the fast fashion industry.

I live in a city so I don't have a car and use my bike but my family lives in the countryside and completely get why they have two cars. Can locally source my meat because of my relatives in the countryside but I understand people living in cities cannot necessarily do that. I have time - and an involved husband to cook my own food and avoid processed food to not give too much money to the food industry. But I get people who are very busy for many reasons cannot do that.

And I know I am not perfect - sometimes I take a flight to visit my family abroad, my running shoes are from nike because they are the most comfortable for me, I sometimes splurge on things I don't need and I spend time on website heberged by amazon. And other many things. But I don't beat up myself with and don't beat up other people with it. We are in a system and apart from living completely cut from the world we are contributing to make those big companies richer - often we don't have the choice.

Guilt is not the answer. We should more try to help each other and share tips than playing this divisive game. We might not agree on everything but most people have similar goals - living a good life in a decent environment and having some kind of social justice. We should remember that instead of letting culture wars destroying any sense of community.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
In a world of several billions, individuals can make small changes but the only way change can be truly made is through systemic change at the top, by corporations and politicians the ones leading the world right now. Eating less meat, driving less and turnin your heating down will make a bit of a difference but it is nothing in comparison to industries and the amount of energy they consume.

"Oh you're a hypocrite for using an iPhone" is so stupid. I could get rid of my iPhone and stop using the internet but Apple would still be a billion dollar company and I would still need to go on the internet in order to get a job and put food on my plate and a roof over my head.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
In a world of several billions, individuals can make small changes but the only way change can be truly made is through systemic change at the top, by corporations and politicians the ones leading the world right now. Eating less meat, driving less and turnin your heating down will make a bit of a difference but it is nothing in comparison to industries and the amount of energy they consume.

"Oh you're a hypocrite for using an iPhone" is so stupid. I could get rid of my iPhone and stop using the internet but Apple would still be a billion dollar company and I would still need to go on the internet in order to get a job and put food on my plate and a roof over my head.
I'm not happy about water being privatised, but I still need to take a shower now and again.

Reactions: 7

Another important thing people can do is reduce spending on cheap clothes. I know it's easier said than done, but it's really important. The problem is, the likes of Primark don't help. They are just there, tempting people with a £1 pair of socks or a £1.50 t-shirt. I haven't been there for quite a few years, so could be wrong about the prices, but nevertheless they are very cheap.

If a person can afford to, then the best thing to do is save and buy better quality clothes at a higher price. I used to buy leather jackets that were about £50, but realised they aren't great at lasting. I went and bought a boda skins leather jacket for £450 and it should last a long while. I know it's a lot, but that's an extreme example. It's better to spend a decent amount on a good quality jacket or pair of jeans, or even footwear imo.

Reactions: 3
Another important thing people can do is reduce spending on cheap clothes. I know it's easier said than done, but it's really important. The problem is, the likes of Primark don't help. They are just there, tempting people with a £1 pair of socks or a £1.50 t-shirt. I haven't been there for quite a few years, so could be wrong about the prices, but nevertheless they are very cheap. If a person can afford to, then the best thing to do is save and buy better quality clothes at a higher price. I used to buy leather jackets that were about £50, but realised they aren't great at lasting. I went and bought a boda skins leather jacket for £450 and it should last a long while. I know it's a lot, but that's an extreme example. It's better to spend a decent amount on a good quality jacket or pair of jeans, or even footwear imo.
Sustainably/ethically sourced clothing is a minefield and sadly it’s not just a case of more expensive = fair wages for garment workers, safe conditions, and sustainably sourced material.

It can also be a bit of a classist dig as low income families *need* stores like Primark, and it’s not fast fashion to them it’s the only accessible means of clothing they have. The secondary market is fucked - go into most charity shops and it’s either house clearance stuff so inappropriate for anyone under 60 or poor quality “fast fash” brands priced not that dissimilarly from buying brand new, tbh. Just because MC consumers / customers with a disposable income are seeing these outfits as single use, doesn’t mean the people that need these retailers are.

Ultimately it needs an attitude change, people don’t need as much as they’re buying, they don’t need to refresh their wardrobes as often as they are, the industry needs to move away from being trend led, marketing to move away from hyper consumption to styling or accessorising or swapping, like it’s an incredibly complex situation and I don’t think telling ppl to just spend more answers it.

Reactions: 24
Another important thing people can do is reduce spending on cheap clothes. I know it's easier said than done, but it's really important. The problem is, the likes of Primark don't help. They are just there, tempting people with a £1 pair of socks or a £1.50 t-shirt. I haven't been there for quite a few years, so could be wrong about the prices, but nevertheless they are very cheap.

If a person can afford to, then the best thing to do is save and buy better quality clothes at a higher price. I used to buy leather jackets that were about £50, but realised they aren't great at lasting. I went and bought a boda skins leather jacket for £450 and it should last a long while. I know it's a lot, but that's an extreme example. It's better to spend a decent amount on a good quality jacket or pair of jeans, or even footwear imo.
In a ideal world, of course. But the reality just doesn't work, Primark has its place. If you are on a low or even decent income and have kids you cannot afford to be buying and high end brands at the rate they grown. Hand me downs are not done much anymore, perhaps because of society's shift and also because the quality of clothes is no where near what is was and I think so of this was driven by companies desire to make more money and cut costs not always driven by the need for fast and cheap.

I think it all feeds into each other, social media, big corporations, low wages and where do you start to make the changes. It is a big cycle. Most people just cannot afford not to shop at Primark and not having a smart phone in todays age puts you at a massive disadvantage.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.