The Winter of Discontent #2 Food, energy, transport, jobs, housing etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Omg I love this / would love to know what that even looks like?! How cool though!

I live in an area that had a lot of post war building so a lot of the original owners are in their houses as 80/90 somethings now & love seeing some of the original features and am amazed some of them are still working, like the pre radiator heating systems.
It is huge, they have though about changing it but if it ain't broke don't fix it. They have a plumber who can just about still service it but even he is getting reluctant.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I have shoes repaired, however I had a paid I wanted repair and it wasn't possible to resole due to how they were made. Companies want you to buy again, its a bit like household item. My mum and dad have the original boiler in their house from the early 1930s. You would never get a modern day boiler lasting that long.
it's a catch 22 situation as well cause you can get shoes in Primark for between £3-£10. How much does it cost it re-sole a shoe? For most I'd imagine it's cheaper to throw the shoes away and buy new

Reactions: 4
It's probably not the right thread but I need to alert people. The number of young men being SA'd is on the rise. Also the incidents of date rape drugs being given to men is increasing. Please warn ALL young adults to take care while out and about .

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Another important thing people can do is reduce spending on cheap clothes. I know it's easier said than done, but it's really important. The problem is, the likes of Primark don't help. They are just there, tempting people with a £1 pair of socks or a £1.50 t-shirt. I haven't been there for quite a few years, so could be wrong about the prices, but nevertheless they are very cheap.

If a person can afford to, then the best thing to do is save and buy better quality clothes at a higher price. I used to buy leather jackets that were about £50, but realised they aren't great at lasting. I went and bought a boda skins leather jacket for £450 and it should last a long while. I know it's a lot, but that's an extreme example. It's better to spend a decent amount on a good quality jacket or pair of jeans, or even footwear imo.
Sadly cost doesn't always equal quality , sometimes you are paying for a name . It's disappointing when something that has cost a lot doesn't last ( in general) .

• Heart
it's a catch 22 situation as well cause you can get shoes in Primark for between £3-£10. How much does it cost it re-sole a shoe? For most I'd imagine it's cheaper to throw the shoes away and buy new
+ the more expensive the shoe, the more expensive repairs will be.

Just googled to check I hadn’t imagined this, my husband had a pair of Church’s serviced and it came to over £200, looks like they do do a full audit on the shoe but they can only do that twice in a shoe’s lifetime, so even a £700 pair of shoes plus two £300 audits, so £1.3k let’s say (ignoring cleaning products & shoe tree costs!) would last you what, 10 years tops? Which is a very good innings for a pair of shoes but if most adults are spending £60-70 pp that’s 18.6 pairs of shoes! Which would get you winter boots, flats, sandals, etc not just the one pair? So I can see why people aren’t opting into this, also there’s the high initial cost which would be a barrier to a lot of people.

This has reminded me I have a pair of Bally sandals under the stairs where the sole’s glue MELTED during a heat wave a few years ago and I had to walk home with it flapping like a flip flop!

• Wow
Reactions: 7
Exactly, and that's the cycle that needs breaking but at what point. The likes of Primark thrive of cheap shoes people wear for a few week/months and buy again or buy in three colours. People won't stop buying them if they are available, this drives Primark to make and sell more. It means less people have shoes repaired and makes that service more expensive and harder to access and therefore people buy cheap shoes. A complete catch 22.

I buy from both, I get the odd thing from Primark (less and less as I get older) and I tend to buy well but I am in a privileged position with disposable income and no kids and can afford to drop £100 on a pair of boots and have them resoled every 2 years. Buying a £20 paid that will last two years is much more economical.

Sadly cost doesn't always equal quality , sometimes you are paying for a name . It's disappointing when something that has cost a lot doesn't last ( in general) .
This is another element in today throw away world, brands do not make as well as they used to. I like Mulberry's, vintage ones are made so much better than todays, and proportionally cost less to!

I usually only buy underwear from Primark so if anyone is looking for extra large beige Brazilian thongs they have plenty and sweet FA of anything else 🤣

• Haha
Exactly, and that's the cycle that needs breaking but at what point. The likes of Primark thrive of cheap shoes people wear for a few week/months and buy again or buy in three colours. People won't stop buying them if they are available, this drives Primark to make and sell more. It means less people have shoes repaired and makes that service more expensive and harder to access and therefore people buy cheap shoes. A complete catch 22.

I buy from both, I get the odd thing from Primark (less and less as I get older) and I tend to buy well but I am in a privileged position with disposable income and no kids and can afford to drop £100 on a pair of boots and have them resoled every 2 years. Buying a £20 paid that will last two years is much more economical.

This is another element in today throw away world, brands do not make as well as they used to. I like Mulberry's, vintage ones are made so much better than todays, and proportionally cost less to!
Exactly. The argument is the same for a lot of things. Public transport being one major example. The price is too expensive so it's cheaper to drive but it's expensive cause more people are driving and less people are using public transport.

The issue with a lot of high street stores too is that it's hit and miss. I've still got works trousers from primark that I bought 5 years ago, still in good condition no problems, but I have also bought trousers that bobbled within 6 months

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I agree! I bought a pair of Levi’s (approx £90 here in the UK) after 6 months the fabric wore where my thighs rub. My £10 ASDA skinnies are still going strong after 3 years.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I agree! I bought a pair of Levi’s (approx £90 here in the UK) after 6 months the fabric wore where my thighs rub. My £10 ASDA skinnies are still going strong after 3 years.
yeah I have addidas gym shoes that the inside sole ripped off within a few weeks. My Tesco £18 ones that I bought in an emergency one day lasted me 4 years!

• Wow
travelled across the country today into various WH Smith’s. Can confirm crisps everywhere 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 11
yeah I have addidas gym shoes that the inside sole ripped off within a few weeks. My Tesco £18 ones that I bought in an emergency one day lasted me 4 years!
I had the same with Adidas, the sole had worn by the time they stopped giving blisters. . I also find converse don't last long

Reactions: 3
The thing with driving/car ownership that never gets properly mentioned is the issue of when you dont live in a major city or even a big town. Well it does, but only by those of us who have duck all access to regular, frequent, useful public transport.

Where I live now there is one bus an hour to the nearest small town, once every 2 hours after 6pm. Then you change to get another bus to the towns where stuff/jobs/shops happen. Process takes at least an hour and a half, and costs minimum £12 return (if you are lucky). Not surprisingly all the teenagers learn to drive at 17, so they can drive to their zero hour jobs to pay for the cars they need to get a better job and/or see their friends.

When I used to live in London, I would barely drive, basically because I could get the tube or the the bus to where I wanted to be in less time at less cost and hassle than if I'd driven.

Reactions: 9
The thing with driving/car ownership that never gets properly mentioned is the issue of when you dont live in a major city or even a big town. Well it does, but only by those of us who have duck all access to regular, frequent, useful public transport.

Where I live now there is one bus an hour to the nearest small town, once every 2 hours after 6pm. Then you change to get another bus to the towns where stuff/jobs/shops happen. Process takes at least an hour and a half, and costs minimum £12 return (if you are lucky). Not surprisingly all the teenagers learn to drive at 17, so they can drive to their zero hour jobs to pay for the cars they need to get a better job and/or see their friends.

When I used to live in London, I would barely drive, basically because I could get the tube or the the bus to where I wanted to be in less time at less cost and hassle than if I'd driven.
Very much this. I grew up in a rural area and buses were terrible - once you paid adult fares you’re looking at £12-15 for a return ticket to the nearest town and impossible timetables. The bus to the nearest town from village I grew up in would take an hour and a half to do a journey that you could do in a car in 20-25 mins, and the timetable was such that you’d arrive in the town at just past nine and either have to get back on the bus to go home right away or stay there for eight hours. That would just about work if you had a 9-5 job but if you worked shifts or odd hours then you were screwed, and the only option was to have a car. People also forget that things like supermarkets tend now to be built in out-of-town shopping areas that are really badly served by buses, so if you don’t want to have to pay a premium for groceries then you either need a car, or an internet connection so you can shop online (assuming you don’t live so rurally that places won’t even deliver …)

I went to university in London and was blown away by the frequency of buses and how easy it was to travel around - and how cheap it was! People tend to forget that there are huge parts of the country where you just don’t have the option to hop on a bus, and going even a short distance can take a huge amount of planning.

Reactions: 12
Same here for the bus. Ours is every hour and takes an hour and 10 minutes to get into the big town. I can do it in 15 minutes in the car.
When I lived in Germany I was shocked by the efficiency of public transport. I didn’t bother getting a car cause I could rely on public transport and a bike

Reactions: 7

Our bus is every hour from 7-am till 1 pm then it's every two hours until 7 pm then that's your lot till tomorrow or Monday if its Saturday. We have to have school busses as well but they often don't turn up
we only live 10 mins from town and less than an hour from London. but it's like living in the dark ages transport and shopping wise

• Sad
travelled across the country today into various WH Smith’s. Can confirm crisps everywhere 😂
Plenty in Home Bargains and ASDA here.

you’ll be screwed if you want Halloween stuff though. That’s why I buy early.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.