The Winter of Discontent #2 Food, energy, transport, jobs, housing etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
How on earth is the Government going to plug its finances in future, when cars start to move away from using Petrol and Diesel?
They will probably charge us for breathing. That’s a lot of tax to find somewhere else, agreed.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
They will probably charge us for breathing. That’s a lot of tax to find somewhere else, agreed.
I personally believe pay per mile will come in, once fuel duties drop through the floor on future. Due to the majority driving 'green' vehicles.

As they can't tax green vehicles in the same way as traditional petrol cars (via fuel duties), they will have to look to other methods to make up the shortfall in tax.

I would rather the Government finds ways to save money in areas where it isn't needed - such as the cost of running Government, the numerous Quangos, etc, etc before finding more ways to tax us ever more money.

Too much of OUR money is wasted every year, yet we are just expected to stomach increased taxes to pay for this waste. Not on!

Reactions: 5
I think there genuinely may be a crisp shortage. We've had problems getting certain crisps, mainly Walkers Ready Salted, from Asda for weeks now. Haven't managed to find them elsewhere either.
I got walkers ready salted as a substitute for my salt and shake crisps - was gutted 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I personally believe pay per mile will come in, once fuel duties drop through the floor on future. Due to the majority driving 'green' vehicles.

As they can't tax green vehicles in the same way as traditional petrol cars (via fuel duties), they will have to look to other methods to make up the shortfall in tax.

I would rather the Government finds ways to save money in areas where it isn't needed - such as the cost of running Government, the numerous Quangos, etc, etc before finding more ways to tax us ever more money.

Too much of OUR money is wasted every year, yet we are just expected to stomach increased taxes to pay for this waste. Not on!
Gosh yes, pay per mile would be the logical alternative it seems. I also think energy bills will go up and stay up rather than gradually come down, because eventually people will be using more electricity for charging the cars.

Re. crisps, there was none in the Tesco express today when I was buying my sandwich, went next door to the newsagent and they had only big packs left or.....Taytos! So I tried them for the first time and they were sooooo good!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I'm not sure about a shortage, but the supply definitely seems quite patchy.
On the other hand this means there are warehouses stuffed full of all manner of undistributed crisps, not just the well known ones but a multitude of rare and exotic types too, ready for the picking!

All we need now is fuel for the unmarked hgv. And someone to drive it.
Yes sorry, you're quite right, I meant a supply issue rather than a shortage of actual crisps.

Gosh yes, pay per mile would be the logical alternative it seems. I also think energy bills will go up and stay up rather than gradually come down, because eventually people will be using more electricity for charging the cars.
I think that if they introduced pay per mile round my way it would be the thing that would trigger a revolution, given the number of overrunning roadworks and the stupid diversions we currently have in place. Not far from me, there’s a main a road that was supposed to only be shut for a couple of months for widening. Eighteen months later, it’s many, many millions of pounds over budget and there’s still no sign of it finishing and the road reopening …

Reactions: 5
Petrol is getting more expensive everywhere. Don't think the increase is caused by the panic buying. Didn't have this phenomena where I live in Europe yet we have similar increases for fuel. Thanks god I don't have a car but I know soon everything will be more expensive in shops. Generally speaking we don't have much shortages in European countries - apart from things that are on high demand worldwide - but it didn't impact any of my needs those last months. But inflation is also hitting hard.

Petrol is getting more expensive everywhere. Don't think the increase is caused by the panic buying. Didn't have this phenomena where I live in Europe yet we have similar increases for fuel. Thanks god I don't have a car but I know soon everything will be more expensive in shops. Generally speaking we don't have much shortages in European countries - apart from things that are on high demand worldwide - but it didn't impact any of my needs those last months. But inflation is also hitting hard.
The increase in petrol has been caused in part by panic buying. If people are rushing out and causing a shortage of something that was highly price volatile to begin with, the price will go up.

It is simple a case of supply and demand - if demand outstrips supply, prices head further upwards.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
The increase in petrol has been caused in part by panic buying. If people are rushing out and causing a shortage of something that was highly price volatile to begin with, the price will go up.

It is simple a case of supply and demand - if demand outstrips supply, prices head further upwards.
It's nothing to do with panic 🙂🙂. Here in Canada, it's 1.50 and we did not have panic buying. It is up in North America as a whole. It is to do with the demand of energy going up and price of oil going up worldwide.

For the first time I really saw huge gaps in my local sainsbury's.

Netflix paid tax of £4 million on sales of 15 billion in the UK.

Sorry that should be 1.15billion.

Last edited:
Definitely a crisps shortage near me. Been looking for a multipack of chilli heatwave Doritos all week (my son’s fave) and haven’t been able to get them anywhere. A man in my local Asda told me it’s caused by people stock piling for Christmas. He said within minutes of then putting crisps out, they have been stripped from the shelves.

• Wow
Reactions: 7
The Sainsburys nearest to me has not had an Pepsi Max for weeks, it’s ok for crisps though.

Reactions: 2
Definitely a crisps shortage near me. Been looking for a multipack of chilli heatwave Doritos all week (my son’s fave) and haven’t been able to get them anywhere. A man in my local Asda told me it’s caused by people stock piling for Christmas. He said within minutes of then putting crisps out, they have been stripped from the shelves.
Very odd. Do people think there's going to be no food at Christmas?

I was at the hair salon for the first time in months today and it was so expensive! $300 for cut and colour. My girl is amazing though so it's worth the once a year appointment.

Reactions: 1
Very odd. Do people think there's going to be no food at Christmas?

I was at the hair salon for the first time in months today and it was so expensive! $300 for cut and colour. My girl is amazing though so it's worth the once a year appointment.

I’ve noticed this too! My cut and colour used to be around £90, last time I went it was £120! They did say when they first reopened that it would be a little bit extra for cleaning, PPE etc but it hasn’t changed back and it probably never will 😩

• Wow
For the first time I really saw huge gaps in my local sainsbury's.

Netflix paid tax of £4 million on sales of 15 billion in the UK.

Sorry that should be 1.15billion.
Netflix are not only creative with their TV series but also with their accounting practices too.

Where are all these lefties criticising Netflix for not paying their fair share? A deafening silence!

I'm all for banning companies trading in the UK if they don't pay their fair share. I'm sick and tired of the small (and in many cases, struggling) businesses being hounded for every last penny they owe by HRMC, but the big guys continually getting away with paying very little - despite earning billions in sales. If you are making only a small number of millions in profit on a multi billion turnover, your business isn't that brilliant.

I wonder what Netflix's TRUE UK profit is, before creative accounting and money siphoned off to tax havens?

It can't be that difficult to block Netflix services, if required to.

Last edited:
I tell you, I'm envious of the hunter gatherers still living their way of life around the world. It seems such a simple lifestyle from the outside looking in. Getting their heat from a fire, hunting for their food (keeping active), no TVs, phones, electronics, just living as we humans were always meant to and being one with nature, and living in a close knit circle, helping one another. No worries about rising food costs, gas prices, random pandemics, etc. Haha I might sound mad, but the last year and half has made me realise the shallow life we live. Oh well, I'm never gonna be a hunter gatherer, so the modern grind continues 😅

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.