The Winter of Discontent #2 Food, energy, transport, jobs, housing etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I honestly find the Tesco clubcard stuff really dirty from them. If you have an offer I fully expect to be included in them as an ordinary customer. Obviously I know the membership cards don't cost anything but it's just a dirty practice imo
I agree forgot my clubcard other day at local express abd 4 items I paid more for as were clubcard price annoys me so much plus discriminates under 18 as apparently not allowed yet we of the multi buy drinks and sweets are clubcard deal.

Yes we do have Costco in this country not sure how many branches.
Issue is they quite restrictive who joins depending on profession fees petrol to drive there and then maybe end up buying extras and spending loads so unsure it would save us money.

Some big differences between food consumers in the USA 🇺🇸 and UK.
USA customers love to buy in bulk and sams club/ Costco and buying whole cow from what I see on you tube quite common there.
They have massive pantry/ several freezers/ garages and cold stores/ long life food storage there.
I get some states have extreme weather and lots of very large families on you tube maybe distorts things.

But I live in 3 bed terrace so house either side.
No garage.
Generally most UK houses don't have basement / pantry _/ laundry rooms and our kitchens are small and have washing machine in.
Our kitchen cupboards are tiny and my drier, chest freezer and fridge/ freezer live in my dining room and I turned under stairs tiny cupboard into a pantry so I could buy a few more regular things in bulk.

I am always amazed watching USA food hauls how they have a lump sum of money to buy in bulk where as in the UK we generally buy as we need because space and wages dictate we can't bulk food shop
I really would loved to have done overstock extra supplies just in case last few weeks but can't afford to can do a bit more in November but its tough to buy extra above what we need and we have shortages on some things.

I have been working really hard last few months to try reduce grocery bill.
Meal planning,writing strict lists and batch cooking.

I have come to the conclusion and its difficult for some due to what they have near them and time.
But its always more expensive if you expect to do shopping all at once place.

We only have 1 car which husband uses for work so I can only shop places I can walk to and on bus route.
I am inner city so many places walkable.

Very local as in within 10 mins we have

Small coop good reductions and frozen meal deal.
Sainsbury local ok some ok deals and reductions.
Iceland
Lilds
Aldi
Big morrisions
B&m and one below
International super market cheap spices.

If I'm prepared go half an hour
Large tesco.
Med Sainsbury
Wilkos
Savers
Bigger lidls
Home bargains
Wilkos
Savers
Cheap greengrocers and mobile butchers
Fishmongers.
Marks and Spencer food Hall.

If I want more choice its a drive Big Asda, big Sainsbury, waitrose , Iceland warehouse, poundland and farmfoods.

I don't mind queuing I try and shop alone minus the kids and we do mix of all the local ones but once a month we do a far away one.
Find wilkos/ savers/ home bargains/ b&m much better for pets/ cleaning and toiletries.

Has anyone tried heron foods? We down south so its called b&m express its 45 mins drive so wondering is it worth the trip how does it vary from farmfoods or Iceland.
We off to farnfoods 1st time in ages next week as some good bulk deals and money off coupons on their website might cancel out petrol go there as home bargains next door and medium asda so could do all 3.
I'm prepared put the work in and its helpful saved 400 on grocery last 2months.

Reactions: 6
Yes we do have Costco in this country not sure how many branches.
Issue is they quite restrictive who joins depending on profession fees petrol to drive there and then maybe end up buying extras and spending loads so unsure it would save us money.
You can join with a personal membership, but you can only go after a certain time. First thing in the morning is for businesses.

My family have a membership and my mum and dad go quite often but it's hard not to come away £100 lighter.

Reactions: 3
I’d forgot all about shop and scan! I’ll have to try it. Went to Lidl earlier and only till 1 was on and he was nowhere to be seen for about 3 minutes 🤣
I love it! Not so much when you get a random search and they forgot something you forgot to scan 😂🤦🏻‍♀️😂 Last time it happened to me it was an item in a meal deal I’d missed so if I hadn’t been checked it would have cost me more. My mistake saved me over £5 😂

I used to get so many deals with Sainsburies but now I'm not really getting any offers. It sucks now.
that’s why I prefer Tesco. Sainsbury’s used to be good but the deals have dried up and it’s expensive. I’m a fan of the Clubcard deals (boo hiss bad me) and I’ve signed up for the plus so I get 10% off 2 shops and other deals (10% off F&F) I’m still saving taking into consideration the monthly fee (you do get the first month free and can cancel at any time!)

Last edited:
Download the Stocard app, it’s brilliant, I prefer carrying just a card holder and it’s enabled me to shed my second granny purse full of loyalty cards. Absolutely love it!
I use this and I now only carry my local garden centres loyalty card. I had so
Many!

• Heart
Petrol £1.42.9 today in South Essex ....didn't check the price of diesel.

Heating not on yet at home apart from a test to make sure all is working okay,

Am making husband and son put on socks and jumpers if they are cold. At some point it will go on but not quite yet.

Petrol £1.42.9 today in South Essex ....didn't check the price of diesel.

Heating not on yet at home apart from a test to make sure all is working okay,

Am making husband and son put on socks and jumpers if they are cold. At some point it will go on but not quite yet.
I forgot we have a certain temperature on the thermostat when the heating comes on so it came on itself last week (how rude!) 😬 Trying to limit the time it is on at the moment whilst it is still somewhat mild outside. It's probably only on an hour a day so I quickly put socks to dry on the radiator during that hour 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 2
John west tuna cans have also shrunk now with a 102g drained weight when they were previously 140g.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
Anyone watching dispatches? It’s about how kids growing up in poverty and how they will be effected by the £20 cut

• Sad
Reactions: 8
Anyone watching dispatches? It’s about how kids growing up in poverty and how they will be effected by the £20 cut
Yes , I’m watching . The little girl that just wanted to go to Tesco to buy something. The boy that has never been to a restaurant of any kind . I have to say the school they attend are incredible and supportive wherever they can be.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
Yes , I’m watching . The little girl that just wanted to go to Tesco to buy something. The boy that has never been to a restaurant of any kind . I have to say the school they attend are incredible and supportive wherever they can be.
Their school is fantastic!
That little girl, I want a house away from here to have a better life 😭

• Sad
Reactions: 4
I doubt many families have the school support network shown in this documentary. The staff that work there truly seem to care about the children even out of school time.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
was a really heartbreaking watch. I just don't have any words for it. It makes me so angry. Thos two kids living in temporary accommodation sharing a kitchen and a bathroom sitting outside coop to use the internet. Just devastating. I can't even imagine what lockdown was like for people in overcrowding or temporary accommodation situations. How do you homeschool a kids with no internet or no room to do anything

The school was tremendous

• Heart
Reactions: 10
John west tuna cans have also shrunk now with a 102g drained weight when they were previously 140g.
Have noticed this with red salmon ( not a tuna fan) got two tiny little tins. Never even noticed this size before.

Another thing if the interest rates rise then mortgages will probably follow, we are private rent so guess rent will go up too.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.