The Winter of Discontent #2 Food, energy, transport, jobs, housing etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
To be honest I think the only reason I want a dryer is because I think I'll struggle for getting things dry at home in the winter. My partner and I both work full time and so heating won't be on at all during the day. If I leave things on an airer when we're at work they're still damp when I get home. I struggle to keep on top of getting things dry in the winter when I only have evenings and weekends to do it in.
Me and my husband are the same. In winter towels and thick jumpers take 3+ days to dry! We don't have time to do washing in the week. In the summer it is OK we can do multiple loads and hang them out, but winter it is a nightmare.

I really want a tumble dryer but dont have the space. I have compromised on taking towels and bedding to the laundrette to dry them. I have probably spent as much in there as I would have buying a drier. But it is lovely getting warm Fluffy towels.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Get a dehumidifier! Honestly, pennies to run and will help dry clothes in doors quicker like a heated airer but it will also take the moisture out of the air so not condensation. It also makes the room feel warmer. We got one for our last house and the difference was amazing! We still use it now, clothes go out if it’s sunny or breezy (even in winter!) and then finished on the airer. Only jeans. towels and bedding goes in the dryer if not dried outside.

Reactions: 7
You'd probably be better getting a dehumidifier with a clothes drying setting
If drying clothes indoors a dehumidifier is a good idea anyway, that moisture has to go somewhere and there's only so much a window can hold before it starts making its own pond.
And be especially careful if your place has any cold corners, those can become damp traps (or get worse if already a problem) without enough air movement.

A fan heater on 'cold' is an effective drier but again the damp problem and needing a dehumidifier.

What's weird about all this is I remember a long time ago we had humidifiers to attach to radiators to stop the air being too dry though I'm wondering if that was an antistatic thing because synthetics were really bad for it back then. Our neighbours had them too, it wasn't just us.

Reactions: 3
I was going to ask if anyone had tried these! I don't have space for a tumble dryer in my kitchen although we are thinking of getting a watertight shed outside and sticking one in there as we have electric supply. Though I wondered if these were any good? I've seen the cheapy aldi ones and I guess they'd be a bit crap but I wouldn't wanna fork out for a Lakeland one unless I knew it was gonna actually work 😅
My daughter has one - she says its good. Not sure where she got it though.

I dry clothes inside with a dehumidifier too. They are great. Literally sucks the moisture out of the clothes and as mentioned above it’s vital to remove moisture from rooms to avoid mould and damp anyway, so also a good investment for your health and structure of your property. I hang my clothes on a normal airer and point the dehumidifier directly at the clothes. They work quicker if you keep rotating the clothes every half hour or so to give each garment a ‘turn’ but also work if just left; just takes longer. I’d be lost without mine now.

I had one of those:
1634215606603.png

It was great for my small flat as it also heated the place and I could stow it away quite easily in my cupboard.

Reactions: 2
Maybe this is a good idea for someone? And suitable for vegans, too 😉

Someone I know says she has two of these "tea light ovens" in her apartment and she doesn't need any heating, she claims it provides ample warmth

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1
Brussels Blocks Cheap Russian Nordstream Gas, EU Hikes European Price As Putin Explains On PressTV

It's all just so depressing, thought things should be looking up by now but honestly it's just worse. We are down to our last oil dregs, just looked and 500 litres now will cost us more than 1000 litres cost us in the start of the pandemic. Nevermind the price of Diesel which is enough to make your eyes water. So many of us work paycheck to paycheck, already have debt and simply have no means for these increases. I know that's just life and you should be prepared for these situations, but pray tell how is that possible when they lock you up for the best part of a year and destroy your income? Whilst increasing the prices of near everything, so disproportionately. They keep you on your knees then are surprised when you have no give.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
It's all just so depressing, thought things should be looking up by now but honestly it's just worse. We are down to our last oil dregs, just looked and 500 litres now will cost us more than 1000 litres cost us in the start of the pandemic. Nevermind the price of Diesel which is enough to make your eyes water. So many of us work paycheck to paycheck, already have debt and simply have no means for these increases. I know that's just life and you should be prepared for these situations, but pray tell how is that possible when they lock you up for the best part of a year and destroy your income? Whilst increasing the prices of near everything, so disproportionately. They keep you on your knees then are surprised when you have no give.
It has definitely made me sit up and take notice. I am determined to save no matter how little to make sure I have something going forward.
Can anyone recommend a good app for managing finances/ budgeting and saving

Reactions: 7
There's a budget/saving thread going in the advice section.

Moneysavingexpert is also a good place to start.

Reactions: 6
I did my food shop with Tesco on Monday, spent over £100 and used a voucher that I had to get £14 off. Shopping came, barely anything there and I'm running low on bits already. I cannot afford to spend £100 a week on food. I just cant.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
To be honest I think the only reason I want a dryer is because I think I'll struggle for getting things dry at home in the winter. My partner and I both work full time and so heating won't be on at all during the day. If I leave things on an airer when we're at work they're still damp when I get home. I struggle to keep on top of getting things dry in the winter when I only have evenings and weekends to do it in.
Same and it's annoying when they start to smell off and you have to rewash. I'm thinking of getting a heated airer too. No space for a tumble dryer.

I read a blog called Frugalfamily. I really like her. She's a mother with 2 teen kids who works full time but she has loads of recipes, hacks, meal planning, and she does a "frugal things I've done this week" which I love and find really inspiring

Reactions: 1
It has definitely made me sit up and take notice. I am determined to save no matter how little to make sure I have something going forward.
Can anyone recommend a good app for managing finances/ budgeting and saving
I use zero based budgeting and find meal planning really helps. I've gone off track with my meal planning at the moment and spending far too much on food 😬

Get a dehumidifier! Honestly, pennies to run and will help dry clothes in doors quicker like a heated airer but it will also take the moisture out of the air so not condensation. It also makes the room feel warmer. We got one for our last house and the difference was amazing! We still use it now, clothes go out if it’s sunny or breezy (even in winter!) and then finished on the airer. Only jeans. towels and bedding goes in the dryer if not dried outside.
Can I ask a stupid question? We've moved house and my utility room doesn't have a window. Can I stick a dehumidifier in there along with some clothes on clothes horses, without potentially causing any mould or damp issues?

Can I ask a stupid question? We've moved house and my utility room doesn't have a window. Can I stick a dehumidifier in there along with some clothes on clothes horses, without potentially causing any mould or damp issues?
not a stupid question and yes you can! The dehumidifier will extract the moisture too, we never get condensation in the room we put ours in. We close all the windows, vents and door to ensure it’s not pulling in moisture from other areas x

not a stupid question and yes you can! The dehumidifier will extract the moisture too, we never get condensation in the room we put ours in. We close all the windows, vents and door to ensure it’s not pulling in moisture from other areas x
Thanks, that's what I was hoping for. We have an extractor fan in that room but it doesn't seem to work very well! That's my next couple of evenings sorted - dehumidifier shopping 😂

Same and it's annoying when they start to smell off and you have to rewash. I'm thinking of getting a heated airer too. No space for a tumble dryer.
Probably not that cost effective but I always let the washing machine finish its cycle then do an extra spin and drain seems to help when drying on an airer (I'm strictly highstreet but none of hubby's clothes are tumble dry-able drives me mad). Also uni bond 360 is great for corners where you get a lot of moisture.

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.