The Winter of Discontent #2 Food, energy, transport, jobs, housing etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
People going on and on about Brexit when these things are going on all over the world. but the brainwashed still need to parrot Brexit in every post. Brexit was a huge push to divide us and confuse us. Make us unsteady in what we believed. I didn't think you could get more left-wing than me but now I'm apparently a right-wing ignorant racist. I didn't change,the left changed My left might not agree with what you say but would fight for your right to say it. now the left will shut you down over a word. PC was invented to make us unsteady always wondering or worrying if we were going to offend someone. The left love to label everyone and there are so many agendas right there, We are fighting each other over words and labels and while we do that governments are literally getting away with murder.
Brexit has not caused these problems but it has made Britain more vulnerable to it. It could have been navigated if we had a different government from the people in charge right now who did it properly, but had it not happened at all I think we would have fared much better.

Also the overton window is a thing. What's considered left changes over time.

However I do agree with you in some ways. Labour activist wing (journalists like Owen Jones who you see on Twitter) focus far too much on liberal social issues at the expense of economic leftism which is turning off people from voting Labour.

Reactions: 10
Few points I would like to add.
The HGV drivers is not down to brexit, people don’t want the tit jobs. Maybe employers should renegotiate hours/salary for these jobs and people might apply. Most company’s treat workers like dogs
But the lorry driver shortage at the moment is to a fairly large extend due to Brexit.
Many drivers from Eastern Europe would need visas but they can get permanent jobs in other European countries so they prefer to work there.
And the problems end of last year, the long queues for example, didn't help.

The fact that trade got more expensive due to tariffs is also down to Brexit.

It is now more expensive to ship tomatoes from Spain so they will cost more. If they cannot be shipped to the UK they will be sold to other European countries.

No EU country had shortages of any kind in the last few weeks.

Reactions: 11
Lots of changes happening in london too with money being wasted as usual. In central london they spent 6 million on the marble arch mound which looks like an absolute eyesore, with cheap plywood and artificial grass stuck to it.

Re traffic- down the other side of park lane they’ve made it from three lanes into two with one just for cyclists and put the speed limit from 40 to 20. To get to St Mary’s hospital my dad had to go through a lot of side roads. Same thing as we drove through Camden yesterday. Lots of diversions and road closures.
I’m not going to comment on the Marble Arch Mound…that is just a disaster and people deserved to be sacked.

Re traffic this is to reduce air pollution and for people to stop driving. There is no conspiracy for this it’s to improve public health.

Reactions: 7
But the lorry driver shortage at the moment is to a fairly large extend due to Brexit.
Many drivers from Eastern Europe would need visas but they can get permanent jobs in other European countries so they prefer to work there.
And the problems end of last year, the long queues for example, didn't help.

The fact that trade got more expensive due to tariffs is also down to Brexit.

It is now more expensive to ship tomatoes from Spain so they will cost more. If they cannot be shipped to the UK they will be sold to other European countries.

No EU country had shortages of any kind in the last few weeks.
Two things I have family in Italy and they are in the EU with same issues, and even IF it was due to Brexit we could have for seen that we need x amount of people for HGV and set things up where we give visas. I live in multi cultural london and work with a lot of different people and don’t know anyone that had lost their job due to the visa situation.

I’m not going to comment on the Marble Arch Mound…that is just a disaster and people deserved to be sacked.

Re traffic this is to reduce air pollution and for people to stop driving. There is no conspiracy for this it’s to improve public health.
They are causing more pollution in doing so, They don’t want us to own cars that’s the real issue.. just like they don’t want us to own houses, we are being priced out the housing market and soon the car market

Reactions: 4
Two things I have family in Italy and they are in the EU with same issues, and even IF it was due to Brexit we could have for seen that we need x amount of people for HGV and set things up where we give visas. I live in multi cultural london and work with a lot of different people and don’t know anyone that had lost their job due to the visa situation.

They are causing more pollution in doing so, They don’t want us to own cars that’s the real issue.. just like they don’t want us to own houses, we are being priced out the housing market and soon the car market
Sorry but I work in local government there is no “they” frankly no one is even that competent to even come up with that idea even if someone wanted.

Air pollution and changes to road networks is a massive pain in the arse to everyone, but its an environment group named Client Earth that have led this and now local and national government have to deliver. Worth a read https://www.clientearth.org/latest/...urt-confirms-uk-has-broken-air-pollution-law/

Reactions: 3
I am one step away from buying one of those wolf fleeces from the market to avoid putting heating on for a bit longer. In Mumsnet speak can I have a handhold

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
I am one step away from buying one of those wolf fleeces from the market to avoid putting heating on for a bit longer. In Mumsnet speak can I have a handhold
Go for it, they’ll probably be back in fashion soon…

1634374925928.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
Of course they could have planned ahead, but they didn't.

Didn't they offer 3-months contracts to lorry drivers and almost no interest was shown?
Because it is more attractive to take up more secure employment in another country.

What is the supply situation in Italy like? I haven't heard this from anyone in Italy, nor have I read anything about it.

Reactions: 2
Of course they could have planned ahead, but they didn't.

Didn't they offer 3-months contracts to lorry drivers and almost no interest was shown?
Because it is more attractive to take up more secure employment in another country.

What is the supply situation in Italy like? I haven't heard this from anyone in Italy, nor have I read anything about it.
They have increased in costs of goods, wheat etc.. again supply issues but I think on a smaller scale. I didn’t ask too much as it’s such doom and gloom 🙄They did laugh at us with our petrol shortage 😂
We don’t want to report on EU countries having similar issues to us as then they can’t blame Brexit

They have increased in costs of goods, wheat etc.. again supply issues but I think on a smaller scale. I didn’t ask too much as it’s such doom and gloom 🙄They did laugh at us with our petrol shortage 😂
We don’t want to report on EU countries having similar issues to us as then they can’t blame Brexit
Ok, the prices increased everywhere (global inflation) but in the EU this is predominately down to the pandemic.

All EU countries can still trade freely with each other, so there wouldn't be a problem because of Brexit.
The EU predominantly "imported" consulting and financial services from the UK and this is fairly easy (no physical transport of goods needed, no tariffs either).

Reactions: 1
Sorry but I work in local government there is no “they” frankly no one is even that competent to even come up with that idea even if someone wanted.
I’m similar. I would bl**dy love to believe that there was some massive conspiracy about everything that’s happening at the moment because it would make the reality - that most of the leadership in local and national Government is just totally incompetent and self-interested - so much easier to swallow. Sadly it’s not the case, we are just governed by self-absorbed idiots who can’t see further than lining their own pockets.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Go for it, they’ll probably be back in fashion soon…

View attachment 812552

Are you psychic I was literally just looking at that one thinking it's the least horrendous of the bunch. But look how happy and warm she looks! Protected by the noble fleece wolf. Sod it I'm gonna get one and just never leave house again except for Woodbines and lard and to get my blue rinse done

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
Ok, the prices increased everywhere (global inflation) but in the EU this is predominately down to the pandemic.

All EU countries can still trade freely with each other, so there wouldn't be a problem because of Brexit.
The EU predominantly "imported" consulting and financial services from the UK and this is fairly easy (no physical transport of goods needed, no tariffs either).
I think in general though there is just uncertainty all over Europe, I don’t get into too much politics. So can’t comment too much, only mentioning what I know.. But there’s constant Protests and riots in Europe and people (the working clsss) are struggling financially. covid is definitely a big factor, shame we don’t say anything to China. They are defo laughing at us, whilst buying our utility companies or schools, uni etc. And all the areas in Africa they have taken over for precious metals. But I digress.

I've always said to my Mum, get help for me if I ever succumb to one of those Wolf Fleeces from the market 🤣 However like you say, they are somewhat tempting now 😉

• Haha
Reactions: 12
My brother gave me his old fleece which i’ve been wearing indoors- it’s honestly #lifechanging as I’m always cold. 🥶

Lots of other brand stuff too if you don’t want to join the wolf pack.

Reactions: 6
Re: shortages - I currently live in central europe and while we have rising cost of living like everyone else (leccy is expected to be going up 20% to 40% this winter), there are no shortages per se. There's the odd bibs and bobs that aren't available all the time any more, like my favourite brand of coconut cream or other obscure stuff, but that started during last years lockdowns.

I also think that a lot of the stuff I keep seeing missing has a lot to do with people changing their diet. Oatly is almost always sold out, the new Alpro No Milk stuff too. Lots of people here are trying to eat a more veganised diet.

Reactions: 7
The shortage of HGV drivers isn't 100% due to Brexit. The shortage on shelves is. While the pandemic has a part to play for things and the EU does have shortages, they have freedom of movement and cross borders with 0 fuss which means they can stock their shelves with foreign drivers

Reactions: 3
I’m in Ireland, the only occasional shortages are in the British supermarkets ie Tesco & M&S.

although there was a fire in a big dairy producers here so my favourite yoghurts are unavailable till the new year 🙊

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.