The Winter of Discontent #2 Food, energy, transport, jobs, housing etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I use zero based budgeting and find meal planning really helps. I've gone off track with my meal planning at the moment and spending far too much on food 😬
I do similar although don't always do zero i leave a small buffer in current accounts.

Things that helped me.

We have 2 bank accounts.
1 salary and bills so anything direct debit/ pay over phone or regular bank transfer like kids activities.

Write list if bills in date order and place somewhere on wall in planner or even notes on phone so for us we get paid 30th every month.

We have couple bills that go out on 30th most on 1st and a few on the 2nd.

We have 3 random odd bills

3rd, 20th and 27th to the value of £43 .

So we totally up all the bills each month.
We then take salary deduct total bills and any debt payments from salary amount.
Whats left we transfer to our variable spending account for food / clothes/ home / miscellaneous.

I have 3rd account child benefit paid into 4weekly only benefit we entitled to.
That pays any kids expenses/ bit of food/ haircuts/ pocket money.
So we budgeting our 3 older kids to manage their money.

We have 2 small credit cards we use petrol/ food and husband fags.
We pay them back off to 0 every pay day we mostly use them so we can free up money to pay more off the larger credit card that we are paying interest on.

I tried to set up emergency fund this year but spent it.
I tried to save for xmas again and failed as so many other bills came up.
Its been an expensive year.

I meal plan. I wrote strict shopping lists.
I buy mostly 2nd hand clothes.
I shop around buying offers and own brand sometimes do 5 or 6 different shops per month.

Non food so cleaning/ pets and toiletries i get from wilkos/ savers / b& m,one below and home bargains

I really like marks and Spencer cleaning sprays £1.
Method only every buy when on offer
Lilds or aldi sometimes do cleanology on special which I bulk buy.

Snacks and random food home bargains and b&m.
Mobile butchers and greengrocers is cheap locally.
Main food shop aldi or lids.
I go to the bigger chains for offers/ reductions and things I can't get on the others.

I batch cook meals and freeze.
I often plan meals around reductions ir lildls weekly meat and veg offers like 2m5k chicken fillets £10.99 padded out with veg i made 7 different meals that are in the freezer for nov.
My new thing since summer trying reduce grocery bill is batch cook month in advance so cook 12 to 20 meals for the following month .
We have 3 freezer I nearly always buy reduced bread.
We try and get reductions but its competitive its luck of draw if you there at the right time.

Had mixed experience on magic bags from the too good to go app.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Also uni bond 360 is great for corners where you get a lot of moisture.
I had to look that up, I was confused as to how glue would manage that!
I thought it was a recommendation for some sort of coating.

Though it did get me thinking about other possibilities to at least reduce the mold, one of which - for less visible areas at least - gloss paint so there's no moisture absorbency and the surface is harder for the spores to attach to, and better to wipe down and dry.

Or some sticky-back plastic, a choice of genuine marble and wood effect patterns available as well as plain - watch out for removability if renting but charges for repainting are usually averted with a dab of magnolia.

Though it did get me thinking about other possibilities to at least reduce the mold, one of which - for less visible areas at least - gloss paint so there's no moisture absorbency and the surface is harder for the spores to attach to, and better to wipe down and dry.

Or some sticky-back plastic, a choice of genuine marble and wood effect patterns available as well as plain - watch out for removability if renting but charges for repainting are usually averted with a dab of magnolia.
You do have to be careful with glues and mould, as they’re not generally fungicidal and they can cause mould to build up underneath the paper. It’s the same with bleach, it’s great for getting rid of mould but you only need the cheapest, thin stuff. The thickeners in the fancy thick bleach can sometimes make the problem worse. I’m lucky that my current house doesn’t really have a mould issue, but when we were renting I lived in so many places that just became a nightmare at this time of year when it got cooler and damper. HG Mould Remover and open windows become your best friend …

Reactions: 1

You can get a pain that stops mould spores from coming through.. it's quite expensive at £14 for a small tin but it works. Can get it from Wilko

Reactions: 3
You do have to be careful with glues and mould, as they’re not generally fungicidal and they can cause mould to build up underneath the paper. It’s the same with bleach, it’s great for getting rid of mould but you only need the cheapest, thin stuff. The thickeners in the fancy thick bleach can sometimes make the problem worse. I’m lucky that my current house doesn’t really have a mould issue, but when we were renting I lived in so many places that just became a nightmare at this time of year when it got cooler and damper. HG Mould Remover and open windows become your best friend …
Hydrogen peroxide is way better for killing mould. And the gloss paint... could work, but could make the problem worse if you don't use the right paint. Walls are supposed to breathe so that they can soak up a certain amount of moisture from the air and then diffuse it into the air at a later point.

This is where a dehumidifier in combination with "Stoßlüften" (completely airing out your room for a few minutes and then closing the windows completely again) could help.

Another thing with condensation is that it happens when walls are colder than the room temperature (unless you have rising damp, which is a structural issue). Now aside from insulating from the outside, you could also try infrared heating panels. They warm structures, unlike regular heating which increases air temperature. If you are heating with electricity anyway, you could give that a shot. Depending on how you use them they could also be beneficial for your energy bill since there is virtually no time between turning them on and having warmth.

Reactions: 1
And the gloss paint... could work, but could make the problem worse if you don't use the right paint. Walls are supposed to breathe so that they can soak up a certain amount of moisture from the air and then diffuse it into the air at a later point.
Certainly something to watch out for, that's one of the reasons I was thinking of just using it in specific places rather than the entire wall.

Similar applies to the sticky back plastic, and I echo the other points mDe about surface preparation to make sure you aren't 'baking in' a permanent mold source.

Hydrogen peroxide is way better for killing mould. And the gloss paint... could work, but could make the problem worse if you don't use the right paint. Walls are supposed to breathe so that they can soak up a certain amount of moisture from the air and then diffuse it into the air at a later point.

This is where a dehumidifier in combination with "Stoßlüften" (completely airing out your room for a few minutes and then closing the windows completely again) could help.

Another thing with condensation is that it happens when walls are colder than the room temperature (unless you have rising damp, which is a structural issue). Now aside from insulating from the outside, you could also try infrared heating panels. They warm structures, unlike regular heating which increases air temperature. If you are heating with electricity anyway, you could give that a shot. Depending on how you use them they could also be beneficial for your energy bill since there is virtually no time between turning them on and having warmth.
I was told by a roofer to use neat white vinegar on damp, he said bleach feeds it.
My new house has a dorma type room at the back, it's north facing too so it gets quite cold with it having 3 external walls. It's the one room we get condensation and I've just had to clean mold off the window frames.

I was told by a roofer to use neat white vinegar on damp, he said bleach feeds it.
My new house has a dorma type room at the back, it's north facing too so it gets quite cold with it having 3 external walls. It's the one room we get condensation and I've just had to clean mold off the window frames.
I'm all for just putting a jumper on but I find in older houses especially semi rural like mine just just need some warm air circulating in the winter to avoid problems, no matter how well I ventilate. I take one child to a sports club in quite a posh area and even the middle class mummies (who i like to eavesdrop on) were saying they wouldn't be putting the heating on this winter which surprised me. Guess everyone is feeling the pinch.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
Who are all your suppliers? Are we allowed to share that info? Im in a 2yr contract (recently renewed) and its £45 a month with Zog. I'v been with them for years. I use more electric than I do gas but I don't know if that's normal?!

Reactions: 2
I’m with utility warehouse who say they aren’t being affected at all so prices are staying the same. Thank god

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
I don’t know who I’m with at the moment as my supplier went bust a few days ago. Dreading how much my new supplier is going to charge😭

• Sad
Reactions: 5
I’m with utility warehouse who say they aren’t being affected at all so prices are staying the same. Thank god
I’d be surprised if that was true, it’s the wholesale cost of gas driving this?

ETA - you may however be on a fix that stretches some period before we all see the rise in which case it won’t be effecting you *yet* but will be when it’s time to renew?

Reactions: 5

ETA - you may however be on a fix that stretches some period before we all see the rise in which case it won’t be effecting you *yet* but will be when it’s time to renew?
the email is below

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Who are all your suppliers? Are we allowed to share that info? Im in a 2yr contract (recently renewed) and its £45 a month with Zog. I'v been with them for years. I use more electric than I do gas but I don't know if that's normal?!
I'm with e.on, my 2 year fix finishes next month. I'm dreading it

• Sad
Reactions: 6
Few points I would like to add.
The HGV drivers is not down to brexit, people don’t want the tit jobs. Maybe employers should renegotiate hours/salary for these jobs and people might apply. Most company’s treat workers like dogs
They got the working from home & then increase the heating prices. Disgraceful.. all planned.
Petrol prices going up. Concerns about pollution, yet in my town they are widening all the pavements, temp lights everywhere and constant traffic. Great for pollution 🙄
The electric vehicle bullshit is gunna be the same as diesel.
Convinced the toilet rolls have got smaller & don’t even get me started on the lack of offers in the supermarkets.
Don’t even get me started on the heat pump boilers. All whilst boris is on holiday painting..

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Few points I would like to add.
The HGV drivers is not down to brexit, people don’t want the tit jobs. Maybe employers should renegotiate hours/salary for these jobs and people might apply. Most company’s treat workers like dogs
They got the working from home & then increase the heating prices. Disgraceful.. all planned.
Petrol prices going up. Concerns about pollution, yet in my town they are widening all the pavements, temp lights everywhere and constant traffic. Great for pollution 🙄
The electric vehicle bullshit is gunna be the same as diesel.
Convinced the toilet rolls have got smaller & don’t even get me started on the lack of offers in the supermarkets.
Don’t even get me started on the heat pump boilers. All whilst boris is on holiday painting..
I have been saying that forever -about electric cars being the new diesel - Once so many % of the population change to electric they are going to be hit hard. my opinion is that this is to push driverless electric cars that will be taxis.

People going on and on about Brexit when these things are going on all over the world. but the brainwashed still need to parrot Brexit in every post. Brexit was a huge push to divide us and confuse us. Make us unsteady in what we believed. I didn't think you could get more left-wing than me but now I'm apparently a right-wing ignorant racist. I didn't change,the left changed My left might not agree with what you say but would fight for your right to say it. now the left will shut you down over a word. PC was invented to make us unsteady always wondering or worrying if we were going to offend someone. The left love to label everyone and there are so many agendas right there, We are fighting each other over words and labels and while we do that governments are literally getting away with murder.

constant roadworks and other ways to manipulate traffic,
look at how much traffic, we need to do something... IE you will pay for this

Reactions: 7
Lots of changes happening in london too with money being wasted as usual. In central london they spent 6 million on the marble arch mound which looks like an absolute eyesore, with cheap plywood and artificial grass stuck to it.

Re traffic- down the other side of park lane they’ve made it from three lanes into two with one just for cyclists and put the speed limit from 40 to 20. To get to St Mary’s hospital my dad had to go through a lot of side roads. Same thing as we drove through Camden yesterday. Lots of diversions and road closures.

• Wow
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.