The Winter of Discontent #2 Food, energy, transport, jobs, housing etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Wouldnt the pump for the boiler be electric? I've noticed new builds don't have gas and gas cookers seem to be on the decline.
My new build estate has gas. Our house is 4yo, but even the ones he is still building have gas hobs.

Can someone please tell me the facts? As I’ve already stated, I’m very anxious about what is going on currently.

I am panicking badly. The articles about lack of food, industry potentially having to shut down. What can I do?

I want to be prepared now. Is there anything I should buy to be prepared? Matches, more candles, blankets, batteries, torches, tinned food, camping gas stove? Please help?

Please can you post the link to this? I’d like to read so I know exactly how bad things could potentially get.
Ignore the newspapers. They do nothing but incite panic and perpetuate fear. I genuinely do not think blackouts are going to happen.

Buy a couple of extra bags of pasta or noodles next time you are at the supermarket. Maybe some tins of soup. Pop them at the back of your cupboard and forget about them.

Reactions: 9
My new build estate has gas. Our house is 4yo, but even the ones he is still building have gas hobs.
The ones near me are all-electric. proberbly to make sure they have all the right suppliers in place before the ban comes in rather than waiting and having to compete with other developers etc

Reactions: 1
The ones near me are all-electric. proberbly to make sure they have all the right suppliers in place before the ban comes in rather than waiting and having to compete with other developers etc
It's because they have to meet certain "eco" criteria

So some developers will go heat pumps and solar to score "eco points" that way. Others go insulation and triple glazing etc.

Reactions: 5
They put them into a co2 gas chamber to make them go unconscious before killing them and with the gas shortages/prices it'll impact on production. I've not seen anything on farmers killing them

I'm not sure why they are not using one of the other methods of killing them. like bolt gun or electric etc

Reactions: 5
Why kill the pigs? Why cant u keep them alive until they have the gas or whatever?

• Haha
Reactions: 8
bleeping hell the word crisis must be the most overused word in the media at the moment. Loses all meaning after a while.

What’s today’s crisis? Who is undergoing a time of great suffering today? Was your garlic bread substituted again?

You’d almost think they wanted dramatic headlines for sales or clicks.....

• Haha
Why kill the pigs? Why cant u keep them alive until they have the gas or whatever?
I'm guessing they have to be a certain age for the meat industry? I'm guessing aswell the bigger they get the less space on the farms, more food they need to eat etc

Does primark have the grey marl cotton jersey bedding in this year? Want another set but thought I’d ask before making a trip.

God it’s like Uni all over again when we slept in fleeces and wore onesies over clothes because the house was badly insulated 🥶🥶🥶

Economics. The longer you keep them alive, the more they have cost the producer. They work on keeping an animal alive for x months knowing that‘ll cost them x amount, so they can sell for y and still make a profit.

Reactions: 9
The pigs also start fighting once they get to a certain size/age, I think.

Reactions: 1
And Mr and Mrs Johnson have arrived in Barbados, to a luxury villa, to get some sunshine in before things get even worse here.

• Sick
  • Angry
Reactions: 12
Guys I’m panicking. My local Starbucks hasn’t had its chocolate delivery so I can’t have my morning mocha :eek:

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
Economics. The longer you keep them alive, the more they have cost the producer. They work on keeping an animal alive for x months knowing that‘ll cost them x amount, so they can sell for y and still make a profit.
Radio 1 had interviews with pig farmers incredibly upset because they can't kill the animals they claim to love so much. Nah mate, you just care about your bottom line. Animal welfare has nothing to do with it.

Anyway, will get off my soapbox.

Does primark have the grey marl cotton jersey bedding in this year? Want another set but thought I’d ask before making a trip.

God it’s like Uni all over again when we slept in fleeces and wore onesies over clothes because the house was badly insulated 🥶🥶🥶
I've noticed Matalan selling fleece bedding online with 20% off. I'd be buying some myself if Mr B wasn't a portable furnace 🙄

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Radio 1 had interviews with pig farmers incredibly upset because they can't kill the animals they claim to love so much. Nah mate, you just care about your bottom line. Animal welfare has nothing to do with it.

Anyway, will get off my soapbox.

I've noticed Matalan selling fleece bedding online with 20% off. I'd be buying some myself if Mr B wasn't a portable furnace 🙄
Thats not fair- my partner is a farmer and the animals are well looked after and are killed in the most humane way possible for food. Farmers are human and killing animals for absolutely no reason is upsetting.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
This is really upsetting and BoJo's comments disqualify him as a political leader.

To have that many animals die in vain is a crime in my view. These are living creatures and if they are being killed they should at least be eaten.

• Sick
Reactions: 11
Thats not fair- my partner is a farmer and the animals are well looked after and are killed in the most humane way possible for food. Farmers are human and killing animals for absolutely no reason is upsetting.
So the pig is killed, dismembered and eaten in the most gentle, most humane, most understanding way possible.

I’m sure the pig will be eternally grateful.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 16
So the pig is killed, dismembered and eaten in the most gentle, most humane, most understanding way possible.

The pig won't be grateful to be eaten, but at least his live served a purpose compared to it being killed and discarded.

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 12

I was talking about whether farmers cared about killing animals for no reason. Eating meat or not is a completely different conversation

Reactions: 10
I was talking about whether farmers cared about killing animals for no reason. Eating meat or not is a completely different conversation
I think they do care.

Think about your daily work - if you would work hard on something and it would then just be binned wouldn't you mind either?

Why dont you think farmers dont care about their animals? Because they are being killed to be eaten? They can still care about them and want them to live as good as possible and for their lives to have had a purpose

• Sick
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.