The Winter of Discontent #2 Food, energy, transport, jobs, housing etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh yeah it has definitely always been around. All the hymns back then were about the poor being poor because God chose it. I was more talking about the modern reality TV side of it - endless programmes and people watching out of some weird curiously. We had a chance for attitudes to change but sadly it has steadily got worse.
Mother Theresa thought that the poor being poor was 'beautiful'.

• Sick
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
Oh yeah it has definitely always been around. All the hymns back then were about the poor being poor because God chose it. I was more talking about the modern reality TV side of it - endless programmes and people watching out of some weird curiously. We had a chance for attitudes to change but sadly it has steadily got worse.
wasn't that the origin of Boxing Day? Christmas Day poor people would work serving the rich their Christmas dinner cleaning up etc and then the rich would give them a box with bread etc as they would have the 26th off and they'd open the box with their families that day thus calling it "Boxing Day"?

• Wow
Reactions: 8
wasn't that the origin of Boxing Day? Christmas Day poor people would work serving the rich their Christmas dinner cleaning up etc and then the rich would give them a box with bread etc as they would have the 26th off and they'd open the box with their families that day thus calling it "Boxing Day"?
Wouldn't surprise me!

Wouldn't surprise me!
so I googled it to make sure I wasn't making it up - via the BBC website:

"The name comes from a time when the rich used to box up gifts to give to the poor. Boxing Day was traditionally a day off for servants, and the day when they received a special Christmas box from their masters. The servants would also go home on Boxing Day to give Christmas boxes to their families."

• Sick
We have power cuts fairly regularly that last hours at a time … not great if you built a smart house 🙄 Even though our boiler is oil it still uses electric to ignite so no electric means no heating. Luckily we also put wood burners in our living rooms too. Growing up poor no electric was pretty common … anyone else remember putting 50p’s in the meter ? And I always knew if we’d run out of money when it was bread and jam for dinner 😕

The only thing I’ve ever worried about running out of is pet food. I could live off the contents of my pantry for about a month but my girls are picky little felines so I confess I’ve bought an extra massive bag of their food. I buy my rabbits food by the sack anyway and they could live quite happily off the lawns alone 😆

I think it all comes down to perspective. Yes, I’ve noticed there is less choice in the supermarkets these days, but did we really need 15 different types of pizza anyway ?? 😉

Reactions: 12
My energy supplier is in the process of going bust. Wonder who I’m going to be lumbered with and how much more they will want to charge🙄

• Sad
Reactions: 6
I’ve been scrolling the last thread and my action plan is as follows (fuelled by 2 glasses of red wine)

- purchase candles
- buy us all an Oodie (I’ve been gagging for an excuse)
- add more tins and long-life stuff to our weekly shop

Husband has just got a notification that I’ve spent money on Amazon and has come downstairs like “The duck? 20 candles? Not even scented? We peasants now?”

I feel like we wouldn’t survive a real life crisis 😜

• Haha
Reactions: 21
We have power cuts fairly regularly that last hours at a time … not great if you built a smart house 🙄 Even though our boiler is oil it still uses electric to ignite so no electric means no heating. Luckily we also put wood burners in our living rooms too. Growing up poor no electric was pretty common … anyone else remember putting 50p’s in the meter ? And I always knew if we’d run out of money when it was bread and jam for dinner 😕

The only thing I’ve ever worried about running out of is pet food. I could live off the contents of my pantry for about a month but my girls are picky little felines so I confess I’ve bought an extra massive bag of their food. I buy my rabbits food by the sack anyway and they could live quite happily off the lawns alone 😆

I think it all comes down to perspective. Yes, I’ve noticed there is less choice in the supermarkets these days, but did we really need 15 different types of pizza anyway ?? 😉
I think our supermarkets are a disgrace. do we need two isles of sweets, two for crips another two for soft drinks.. another two for bread and cakes So much goes to waste not even all the food banks and larders can use it all.

I hate trying to shop, way too much choice. it's overwhelming at times.

My cats are hunters so if my food for them runs out they won't starve.

• Heart
I think our supermarkets are a disgrace. do we need two isles of sweets, two for crips another two for soft drinks.. another two for bread and cakes So much goes to waste not even all the food banks and larders can use it all.

I agree there is way too much. I remember my uncle visiting from what was then communist controlled Poland in the early 80’s, and he cried when he saw all the options we had. Back then that wasn’t even half what there is now though.

While I’m glad there are more choices for vegetarians and vegans these days even that is now becoming overwhelming for me. I’d rather have a curated range of good quality produce than all the masses of stuff on the shelves now.

My cats however, the little one will hunt but my old girl happily sits next to birds in the garden and doesn’t even lift a paw … spoilt 😹

• Haha
Reactions: 11

It really is outrageous. They often all come from the same place anyway or are made the exact same way but just a different company label.

Also to go off on a tangent about supermarket aisles of food and I hate to be one of those annoying health freaks, but if you really strip down a supermarket, about 5-10% is whole/fresh foods and the other 90-95% is essentially processed food. Not saying ALL processed food is bad obviously but we have far more aisles of and are eating far more ultra processed food than ever before.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I agree there is way too much. I remember my uncle visiting from what was then communist controlled Poland in the early 80’s, and he cried when he saw all the options we had. Back then that wasn’t even half what there is now though.

While I’m glad there are more choices for vegetarians and vegans these days even that is now becoming overwhelming for me. I’d rather have a curated range of good quality produce than all the masses of stuff on the shelves now.

My cats however, the little one will hunt but my old girl happily sits next to birds in the garden and doesn’t even lift a paw … spoilt 😹
When I was a kid we had only one type of crisp and that was plain with a twist of salt in it. We didn't have large shops then, just small shops. Tesco started up in our town and bought two shops and knocked it into one. If only we had known back then what monsters the supermarkets were going to become. I'm lucky at the moment as my local town is small with a market, butcher, bakers etc but more and more are closing.

• Heart
  • Sad
Oh yeah it has definitely always been around. All the hymns back then were about the poor being poor because God chose it. I was more talking about the modern reality TV side of it - endless programmes and people watching out of some weird curiosity. We had a chance for attitudes to change but sadly it has steadily got worse.
For centuries, people in Europe felt that God decided your station in life. Poor peasant? It was gods will and shouldn’t be questioned. king of England? God had chosen you and so you are special. Divine right to rule is still the basis of the royal family. That motto all over the royal family’s coat of arms? In court rooms, letter boxes etc “Dieu et Mon Droit” literally means God and My Right. It’s probably the basis of why the victorians linked poverty to being immoral.

a very convenient way for the elite to justify being the elite, and to make sure the poor stayed where they wanted them - in abject poverty.

As a modern society we like to think we’ve risen above all that, but we haven’t. That motto and what it stands for is still everywhere. We still have an unelected monarchy and an old boys club in positions of power. We still deride the poor for being poor, and begrudge them financial help while the richest in the country cheat and lie (Pandora papers) with impunity.

times have moved on and yet they really haven’t 😔

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Are people seriously buying candles? :oops:
Living in the countryside the candles are a must. if the power went out at night how will you get through it? I have torches, candles, battery lights, I have the candles already where they need to be and lighters near them.

Worst case, send them out to get you food too 😉

It used to be quite a standard thing to have. If power goes out you need light 🤷‍♂️ not sure when people stopped tbh

do we need two isles of sweets, two for crips another two for soft drinks.. another two for bread and cakes.
Honestly? I can live with blackouts and pandemics, but please lord don’t take my sweets and cakes aisle. Is anything sacred????

• Haha
Reactions: 15
For centuries, people in Europe felt that God decided your station in life. Poor peasant? It was gods will and shouldn’t be questioned. king of England? God had chosen you and so you are special. Divine right to rule is still the basis of the royal family. That motto all over the royal family’s coat of arms? In court rooms, letter boxes etc “Dieu et Mon Droit” literally means God and My Right. It’s probably the basis of why the victorians linked poverty to being immoral.

a very convenient way for the elite to justify being the elite, and to make sure the poor stayed where they wanted them - in abject poverty.

As a modern society we like to think we’ve risen above all that, but we haven’t. That motto and what it stands for is still everywhere. We still have an unelected monarchy and an old boys club in positions of power. We still deride the poor for being poor, and begrudge them financial help while the richest in the country cheat and lie (Pandora papers) with impunity.

times have moved on and yet they really haven’t 😔
Thank god for the monarchy (most of the time). The thought of President Johnson, President Blair etc fills me with dread

Reactions: 1
I am 41 and I vividly remember he excitement of a power cut in my childhood. Was fairly uncommon, but very exciting as a kid in Cornwall 🤪 We would have a stash of candles as standard.

My 92 yr old MIL often tells me that she quite enjoyed the Second World War 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️She has fond memories of running to the shelters with her little dog tucked under her arm.

Last edited:
Worst case, send them out to get you food too 😉

It used to be quite a standard thing to have. If power goes out you need light 🤷‍♂️ not sure when people stopped tbh
My older cats always bring home rabbits, so I won't starve. most of my garden pots have rabbit parts under the plants. They do mostly eat them all, but once or twice a week will leave some for me on the step :(

• Sick
Reactions: 4
I am 41 and I vividly remember he excitement of a power cut in my childhood. Was fairly uncommon, but very exciting as a kid in Cornwall 🤪 We would have a stash of candles as standard.

My 92 yr old MIL often tells me that she quite enjoyed the Second World War 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️She has fond memories of running to the shelters with her little dog tucked under her arm.

No wonder the old people these days have lived so long. Those that didn't die during the war, made it through. Their mindsets are strong and they don't let the small things get to them. These days many younger people sweat over the small stuff. The old people these days genuinely had a reason to be worried back then. My nan died a few years ago, aged 95. I can imagine how tough her life was as she lived and raised in Leyton. I never really spoke to her much about her childhood, but couldn't have been easy. My other nan was a cook in the army, where she met my grandad. Actually I never spoke to either of them about their lives when they were younger. I don't think we understand how much struggle our old people went through when younger. Makes you appreciate them more actually. It is a shame how this country treats it's old.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.