The Winter of Discontent #2 Food, energy, transport, jobs, housing etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Poor lonely can of sausage and beans, but if you look below there's still a full shelf of Tesco beans underneath.

1633976181624.png

• Haha
Reactions: 17
yeah but if you're going to eat baked beans, they have to be Heinz. Same with ketchup and tomato soup. Tis the law.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Does anyone have a smart meter for their has and electric? Mine is already for my up
Yes but I have switched from a flexible plan to a fixed price tariff. The difference is literally a few pence. Gas was 2p per unit and that has gone up to 5p. Electricity is a similar price. I only changed tariff at the end of September so reserving judgement until we have a full month on this plan.

On a tangent but one of the highest rates of suicide amongst degree educated professionals is amongst vets. It's connected to treating animals in pain, difficulty communicating with patients and a large number of your patients being euthanasised.
Hmm, no. One of the main reasons for the high suicide rate is verbal and physical abuse and demands from the public. We get slated every day for being money grabbing, threatened with being sued, and slandered all over social media.

Yes euthanasing animals is difficult, but 90% of them are sick and we are putting their welfare and quality of life first.

*Sorry for going off topic

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
Hmm, no. One of the main reasons for the high suicide rate is verbal and physical abuse and demands from the public. We get slated every day for being money grabbing, threatened with being sued, and slandered all over social media.

Yes euthanasing animals is difficult, but 90% of them are sick and we are putting their welfare and quality of life first.

That's understandable and there are more layers to it. My above comment was based on a PhD researcher that was looking in depth into the topic.

It can't be an easy job but any vet that has dealt with my animals has been professional and compassionate, especially with end of life care (whilst I've been a sobbing mess but that's a different story).

Reactions: 6
That's right, all leavers are thick, all remainers are bright and clever, it doesn't matter the shortages are everywhere let's blame Brexit and remainers 🤣
I am not sure what prompted your comment - we were talking about the sign in Marks and Sparks.

Really, vets are being mistreated? I am completely surprised, I thought being a vet is on of the most loved professions.

Reactions: 1
I am not sure what prompted your comment - we were talking about the sign in Marks and Sparks.

Really, vets are being mistreated? I am completely surprised, I thought being a vet is on of the most loved professions.
I'm guessing they have to take the brunt of some very emotional pet owners.

Reactions: 2
potentially controversial here but I find the mentality in regards to the war in this country really bizarre. Everyone's always like "we were okay in the war/everyone these days is too soft/the people today would never have lived through the war/our war hero ancestors would be laughing at us, they all just got on with it". But that's subjective. If you were a kid evacuee who ended up with an abusive family, if someone you loved went off to fight and died or just never came back you would be suffering. I'm sure there were plenty of people during the war years who struggled, and whinged. In the same vain, that Germans under the Nazi's actually faired quite well, in particular, women, they got paid a decent amount of money providing they had lots of kids and followed the 3 C's (now fully aware that this isn't okay but if you consider it in 1930s context, that's what women were expected to do anyway.) Jews, on the other hand, would have a very different story about how world war Germany was for them.
Michael Caine spoke about his experience as an evacuee - he and his brother were abused and treated awfully.

I dont think the war generation was braver. I think they were traumatised so chose not to talk about it, and it manifested in other ways.

My great grandfather came back with severe PTSD after fighting in WWII, by the sounds of it. My grandfather told me he’d wake up screaming and started drinking heavily. He died in his early 60s because of it. Zero mental health support or awareness. He just had to suffer for the rest of his life. It shaped how he parented my grandfather, who was very harsh on his children and of course, that impacted how they then chose to parent me. easily WWII has impacted 3 or 4 generations with that unprocessed trauma.

Personally I think it’s much braver to vocalise your feelings and to address trauma, as opposed to the stiff upper lip approach previous generations had. I don’t think the stiff upper lip is brave or commendable.

I think they do care.

Think about your daily work - if you would work hard on something and it would then just be binned wouldn't you mind either?

Why dont you think farmers dont care about their animals? Because they are being killed to be eaten? They can still care about them and want them to live as good as possible and for their lives to have had a purpose
I dated a farmer, or rather the son of one. Some of the stories he told me were chilling.

I think it’s the opposite. They become desentisied to animals. They see them as their livelihood and income, not a bunch of cute animals and beings, capable of fear or pain. They are objects. A lot of them are treated really, really badly.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
If you don't understand what I was saying maybe the "all Brexit are thick" should be spun around.
Also if people really believe this sign was actually in M&S they really are stupid

Reactions: 3
I think what was being inferred was perhaps we should stop fighting each other leave/remain or whatever and look at who is at fault.
The govt for not handling Brexit nor covid well. Industry for the hgv drivers pay and working conditions, aging workforce and failing to plan ahead when they had years from brexit vote to it happening and the workforce aging all the while. The cost of hgv licence usually met by drivers instead of industry training in past. Etc etc
While we all fight with each other they are all off the hook as per

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Oh my gosh. You have no idea. The nice people are wonderful. But the nasty ones are awful. As with so much COVID has brought out the worst in people. The demand put upon us is crazy. Burnout is ridiculously high.
That's understandable and there are more layers to it. My above comment was based on a PhD researcher that was looking in depth into the topic.

It can't be an easy job but any vet that has dealt with my animals has been professional and compassionate, especially with end of life care (whilst I've been a sobbing mess but that's a different story).
There's lots of layers to it. But speaking from personal experience, the part of the job that makes me cry at the end of the day is threatening owners making up lies about me and my colleagues. Happened just last week.

I cry about some of my patients after we loose them, but it's a different emotion.

To keep of topic I'm off to buy new bedding, draught excluders and fleece blankets this morning. Oh and probably some new slippers. Mine were lost to the puppy 🙄

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 15
I think what was being inferred was perhaps we should stop fighting each other leave/remain or whatever and look at who is at fault.
The govt for not handling Brexit nor covid well. Industry for the hgv drivers pay and working conditions, aging workforce and failing to plan ahead when they had years from brexit vote to it happening and the workforce aging all the while. The cost of hgv licence usually met by drivers instead of industry training in past. Etc etc
While we all fight with each other they are all off the hook as per
Whilst there is a grain of truth to it, I do think that in a democracy each individual is responsible for their vote and hence "at fault" (using the term you used).

Cameron held a speech the day before the referendum and said clearly: If you vote for "Leave" I will step down.

There was no agenda for what would happen if the result was "Leave".

Many people didn't vote as they thought it was too absurd (they are also "at fault").

Many businesses were ill equipped and simply didn't know how to adjust, there was little to no guidance. Some made smart decisions, others didn't.

But to expect that many low cost labourers from European countries would not be missed in lower paying jobs is silly.
Same with imports: the UK gets all their fruit and veg from Southern Europe or via Europe. What do you think would happen?

It was obvious that prices go up following Brexit. It is a no brainer.
It was also obvious that businesses will need to adjust their marketing strategies - as it is much more expensive to ship to or buy from Europe. So some businesses don't do it anymore. Logical consequence.

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.