The Winter of Discontent #2 Food, energy, transport, jobs, housing etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I feel like I’m in a living history class. What is worrying is that an adult who works full time on minimum wage is already one of the top 10% wealthiest people in the world. Those same people will struggle to heat their homes and eat this winter. It’s absolutely horrifying. Im now £120+ per week on a modest food shop, and although we will be able to eat and stay warm this year so we are incredibly privileged, it still scares me that we are one pay cheque away from disaster.
The thing is, even though someone on minimum wage in this country may be in the top 10% in the world, in this country the high standard of living kind of offsets that.

I'd say it's probably equally as bad in this country on min wage as it would be in a poor part of Africa or Asia, especially for those living on their own or have kids.

Reactions: 5
The thing is, even though someone on minimum wage in this country may be in the top 10% in the world, in this country the high standard of living kind of offsets that.

I'd say it's probably equally as bad in this country on min wage as it would be in a poor part of Africa or Asia, especially for those living on their own or have kids.
Hmmm, I don't equate what we eat here a day with what they would eat in a day in the poor parts of the world.

What I had as a kid in no way equates to what kids today have, yet I was still proberbly better off than the poorer parts of the world.

Reactions: 2

I do think that is a bit extreme, in a poor part of Africa there are some that live in shanty huts, waste in their drinking water and find food in refuse sites. I appreciate life is hard here on the lowest ages but I don’t think it’s comparable.

Reactions: 12
I do think that is a bit extreme, in a poor part of Africa there are some that live in shanty huts, waste in their drinking water and find food in refuse sites. I appreciate life is hard here on the lowest ages but I don’t think it’s comparable.
Yeah I accept that was hyperbolic, but still, it's got to be hard for people here who are living on the breadline. The weather here during winter must make it tough for families who are on a low wage and have families, trying to heat the home. At least in many countries in Africa or Asia the weather is less harsh. We do like to rave about how we are the 6th biggest economy, yet looking at the many poor and homeless in this country, you wouldn't think it, especially for a country that prides itself on human rights and fairness.

Reactions: 5
Been to Tesco tonight before I saw the ridiculous headline in the fail - no shortages anywhere. Is this the SE again?

I think it varies from area to area. My local supermarket is fine. Only place shelves are empty really is bottled water. But everything else is fine.

Reactions: 3
This global energy crisis is really scary. What's going on in Lebanon and China?

I have a bad feeling that high prices are here to stay...
The Guardian has a decent explainer on China from the end of Sept: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/sep/29/how-bad-is-chinas-energy-crisis (it helped me understand what was going on there anyway!)

and Lebanon: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ctricity-outage-expected-to-last-several-days

It is scary. I sort of thought/hoped after the last 18+ months we were all due slightly less stressful times.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
Just read (admittedly in MSM) that the national grid are warning of black outs this winter?! Wtaf?!

I know this is a silly question but surely that means we won’t have heating either as ur boiler needs electric to work? This country is a tit hole!

Just read (admittedly in MSM) that the national grid are warning of black outs this winter?! Wtaf?!

I know this is a silly question but surely that means we won’t have heating either as ur boiler needs electric to work? This country is a tit hole!
Yet they want everyone to have an electronic car which will plug into the grid 🙄

It depends on your boiler, ours is a combi so have electric back up if our tank runs out of hot water or stops working. Unless you have electric heating you should be using a gas supply.

The CEO of E-On has just been on Andrew Marr and said that is definitely not going to happen. Now while there’s an element of “he would say that wouldn’t he” I believe him over some hysterical article on MSM. There is no doubt in my mind that things are incredibly problematic in many areas, however there are certain media outlets who do nothing but spread fear and hysteria.

• Heart
Yet they want everyone to have an electronic car which will plug into the grid 🙄

It depends on your boiler, ours is a combi so have electric back up if our tank runs out of hot water or stops working. Unless you have electric heating you should be using a gas supply.
I am pretty sure ours is a combi - but it’s a smart home connected device so surely without electric / WiFi it won’t work?

Reactions: 1
I am pretty sure ours is a combi - but it’s a smart home connected device so surely without electric / WiFi it won’t work?
There should be an override so it can be used without WiFi etc. Perhaps familiarise yourself with it just to put you at ease. We have hive added to ours but it works without it too.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I would hope there's some basic manual fallback if WiFi dies but without any electricity at all you won't get much going on - even my old gas boiler needs electricity to work, pump water round the radiators etc

• Wow
Reactions: 4
Wouldnt the pump for the boiler be electric? I've noticed new builds don't have gas and gas cookers seem to be on the decline.

A tradesman unplugged our nest thermostat earlier in the year to plug his radio in. The boiler still worked as it had power but obviously it didn't have a thermostat so it was blasting out!! It was bloody boiling. Had to go downstairs and ask him to use another plug. Poor fella was mortified 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
There should be an override so it can be used without WiFi etc. Perhaps familiarise yourself with it just to put you at ease. We have hive added to ours but it works without it too.
Thank you.

It makes me even more anxious about break ins too, it seems they’re ramping up again with nights drawing in and we have cameras in/out the house but with no electric or WiFi they won’t work either. But it appears to be more tit the papers are peddling (thank you for clarifying this @Tyla73 !) so fingers crossed.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.