The Winter of Discontent #2 Food, energy, transport, jobs, housing etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Seriously, is it any surprise if people want to leave the country. For me it isn't. For those that can, it will likely be worth considering. Under this government, it's just incompetence and corruption, and doing naff all about the issues at hand. Really sad and anger inducing how fast this country has gone downhill.

I understand covid didn't help, but there is more this government could have done to protect people from the virus spreading as much as it did, I'm sure of that. Brexit certainly hasn't helped either, but it's an easy scapegoat when the Tories have been in power for just over a decade and things haven't improved. From Industrial revolution to industrial devolution.

Reactions: 15
How come there's a shortage of Chef's at the moment? Is it because it's a stressful job and since the pandemic people thought duck it?
So many could not work during lockdown they proberbly moved on to other things. They might not come back to a job that could be closed again at any time.

Fear of production stopping, thousands of pigs going to be killed and not for food plus Tesco chief helping the government because of supply chain issues. Is this a sign of worse to come?
I could not get my head around the pig thing. they cant kill the pigs for food, so they are going to cull the pigs.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
I just wanted to get general consensus as keep reading about various shortages on so many things various media outlets right and left wing.

So far shortages list includes

Toys
Pigs in blankets
Turkey's
Toiliet roll
Pasta
Petrol
Carton fruit drinks still huge issue lilds crisp section seems recovered but long life juice section nearly always empty.
Daily fail reporting black outs.

I spoke to mobile butchers other day van that drives around city and he said he's not seen many shortages
So maybe it is very much supermarket issue.

Definatly noticing price rises and tesco is crazy £1.30 for 4 pint milk in local express.
Its £1.15 sainsbury.
1.09 lilds.

I use milk as every day item we get through 4-6pints day with drinks and cereal.
So based on 30days month could easily spend £40 on monthly food budget just on milk.
Couldn't get prescription filled in boots chemist yesterday waiting for delivery.

This winter is tough for us only benefit we get is child benefit.
We pay £72 to get monthly bus pass 2 older ones go senior school.
Some delayed uniform costs from last month as official uniform shop has not had enough uniform.
This month we have mot, half term and have start paying year 6 residential trip as well as funding rising bills and Christmas I wish we had managed save a but hut this whole year has been really hard.

So my question is does anyone take these news articles seriously.
I don't wish to panic buy and i can't afford buy big stock pile on off chance there maybe shortages..

So my action plan so far or plan to do within next 30 days

Buy load tins and dried pantry goods done but need some more
Batch cook some November meals have 10 in the freezer.
Currently updating and replenishing the medicine box which was a outdated mess.
Got new digital thermometer as entire house has cols and coughs but negative covid test..
Trying not turn heating on.
Restocking clothes everyone needs at local charity shop and jumble sale.
Start doing advent calender shopping this month when child benefit paid and stocking fillers.
Start buying couple extra pantry items xmas items each week.
End of month going to get backup meat frozen veg yorkies partyyfare anything we may need for Xmas day.
So 1 carrier bag in chest freezer.

I'm considering even though huge outlay buying 3 months worth toilet roll as some days family 6 and kids we get through 1 roll.
3months worth cleaning products won't go crazy on toilietrees as get loads for Xmas.

I want to replenishing candles torches and may even buy a little gas hob off amazon.
Our oven and hob is electric.
I just want to feel prepared if things do go wrong.

Also trying collect lft covid tests as they want to start charging for them .

The last couple months with lot hard work manages save least £200 each month from grocery bill despite rising prices.
Manages to do so by meal planning, cooking 80% scratch/ Batch cooking, only buying own brand or on offer so lildls meat offers, coop/ Iceland £5 frozen freezer meals deal great for the kids.
Buying reduced bread items and freezing.
Keeping to strict shopping list.
buying boring snacks, cheap biscuits and less snacks and desserts.
I'm taking the time to shop around and this month been waitrose, morrisions/ aldi/ lilds/ Iceland, b&m and sainsbury for food shop.
Next month planning home bargains/ big tesco/ asda/ m&s and big aldi shop.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 13
Just to add, I struggled to do our weekly shop for less than £140 this week. That's to feed 2 x adults, 1 x pre-schooler and 1 infant still on a box of formula roughly once a week. Oh and one dog too but she's small which helps in its own way. We do not eat meat but soya/oat milk is about £1.50-80 a liter which can eat into our shopping bill.

Our meal plan included cooking from scratch at least 2-3 times. It's half term here so had to buy extra snacks for the kids. But even getting our basics came in at £100. I do do online shopping as I can see how much our shop is as I go. If I did it at a store then I'd probably spend more 🙄

Shortages/subsistutes this week for us included:

Baby food pouches (again)
Frozen veg
Nappies
Sharing bags of crisps
Garlic bread

-----------------------

@fireflies Can I make a tentative suggestion to invest in a slow cooker? I'll be batch cooking some recipes for the whole family using mine. It keeps energy costs low and it means you can leave it to cook away whilst you get on with other things.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I just wanted to get general consensus as keep reading about various shortages on so many things various media outlets right and left wing.

So far shortages list includes

Toys
Pigs in blankets
Turkey's
Toiliet roll
Pasta
Petrol
Carton fruit drinks still huge issue lilds crisp section seems recovered but long life juice section nearly always empty.
Daily fail reporting black outs.

I spoke to mobile butchers other day van that drives around city and he said he's not seen many shortages
So maybe it is very much supermarket issue.

Definatly noticing price rises and tesco is crazy £1.30 for 4 pint milk in local express.
Its £1.15 sainsbury.
1.09 lilds.

I use milk as every day item we get through 4-6pints day with drinks and cereal.
So based on 30days month could easily spend £40 on monthly food budget just on milk.
Couldn't get prescription filled in boots chemist yesterday waiting for delivery.

This winter is tough for us only benefit we get is child benefit.
We pay £72 to get monthly bus pass 2 older ones go senior school.
Some delayed uniform costs from last month as official uniform shop has not had enough uniform.
This month we have mot, half term and have start paying year 6 residential trip as well as funding rising bills and Christmas I wish we had managed save a but hut this whole year has been really hard.

So my question is does anyone take these news articles seriously.
I don't wish to panic buy and i can't afford buy big stock pile on off chance there maybe shortages..

So my action plan so far or plan to do within next 30 days

Buy load tins and dried pantry goods done but need some more
Batch cook some November meals have 10 in the freezer.
Currently updating and replenishing the medicine box which was a outdated mess.
Got new digital thermometer as entire house has cols and coughs but negative covid test..
Trying not turn heating on.
Restocking clothes everyone needs at local charity shop and jumble sale.
Start doing advent calender shopping this month when child benefit paid and stocking fillers.
Start buying couple extra pantry items xmas items each week.
End of month going to get backup meat frozen veg yorkies partyyfare anything we may need for Xmas day.
So 1 carrier bag in chest freezer.

I'm considering even though huge outlay buying 3 months worth toilet roll as some days family 6 and kids we get through 1 roll.
3months worth cleaning products won't go crazy on toilietrees as get loads for Xmas.

I want to replenishing candles torches and may even buy a little gas hob off amazon.
Our oven and hob is electric.
I just want to feel prepared if things do go wrong.

Also trying collect lft covid tests as they want to start charging for them .

The last couple months with lot hard work manages save least £200 each month from grocery bill despite rising prices.
Manages to do so by meal planning, cooking 80% scratch/ Batch cooking, only buying own brand or on offer so lildls meat offers, coop/ Iceland £5 frozen freezer meals deal great for the kids.
Buying reduced bread items and freezing.
Keeping to strict shopping list.
buying boring snacks, cheap biscuits and less snacks and desserts.
I'm taking the time to shop around and this month been waitrose, morrisions/ aldi/ lilds/ Iceland, b&m and sainsbury for food shop.
Next month planning home bargains/ big tesco/ asda/ m&s and big aldi shop.
I saw on the news a school catering company recommending their cooks to stock up for winter as there may be shortages until Feb! They were having to shop at Iceland because the catering supplies were out of stock.

I recommend whogivesacrap for toilet roll, I bought a box on offer for £19 and it lasted us almost a year I think (1 adult 2 kids). There's similar companies like bumboo, cheeky panda (keep an eye out for the offers as it's pricey but the rolls do last a lot longer), I think you can buy big packs of andrex etc on amazon cheaper than the shops

Reactions: 6
Fear of production stopping, thousands of pigs going to be killed and not for food plus Tesco chief helping the government because of supply chain issues. Is this a sign of worse to come?
The Food and Agriculture organization released monthly data that showed global food prices rose for a second consecutive month to reach a new decade high.

Honestly think it will get worse.

Re oat milk- I usually get my sister the brand Minor figures- they're currently on sale and buy one get one half price on Holland&Barrett.

If you have an aldi nearby- it's £0.75 a carton.

Last edited:
I just went to morrisons for a few bits and bobs and honestly was quite shocked. I've not shopped in there for a long time, we are usually lidls nowadays but it was closest and I needed some bits so I went in. I bought crumpets, bread, some fruit (strawbs rasps, bluebs and apples), a small pack of diced beef, a small pack of ham, orange juice and some chocolate. And it came to £26!!!! And the fruit will probably only last us a couple of days so I will need to go back and get more

Reactions: 6
I've succumbed. I brought extra tinned stuff and pasta on my last shop. I've put it away in a cupboard upstairs. I feel a little crazy for doing so but honestly I am getting a little worried

Reactions: 12
Would this be a good time to sell stuff on 2nd hand sites?

The market might be bigger, if people are hesitant to pay increased prices for new goods, and the extra cash might come in handy.

Reactions: 3
Would this be a good time to sell stuff on 2nd hand sites?

The market might be bigger, if people are hesitant to pay increased prices for new goods, and the extra cash might come in handy.
The 2nd hand selling market is also crap at the moment. So many are giving things away that now you cant sell anything.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
I just went to morrisons for a few bits and bobs and honestly was quite shocked. I've not shopped in there for a long time, we are usually lidls nowadays but it was closest and I needed some bits so I went in. I bought crumpets, bread, some fruit (strawbs rasps, bluebs and apples), a small pack of diced beef, a small pack of ham, orange juice and some chocolate. And it came to £26!!!! And the fruit will probably only last us a couple of days so I will need to go back and get more
Morrisons is so expensive. And Sainsburys

Morrisons is so expensive. And Sainsburys
I haven't shopped in Morrisons for a long time after switching over to a combination of tesco and lidls for our weekly shops so I was gobsmacked at the price of my tiny little basket. Wont be going in there again 😂

Reactions: 1
It really doesn't help when the daily fail show shops with empty shelves, scaremongering folks into panic buying!
I have a small store cupboard, always have as we used to have alot of electric going off, and I agree with folks buying a little extra a week.

Reactions: 7
It really doesn't help when the daily fail show shops with empty shelves, scaremongering folks into panic buying!
I have a small store cupboard, always have as we used to have alot of electric going off, and I agree with folks buying a little extra a week.
I can't stand the daily fail. They come with their massive headlines, half the article is pictures and the rest is BS. I don't know how they get away with the tit they call journalism. Daily Express is the same.

Reactions: 8
I think every one of us also has a responsibility to stop visiting news sites that are out right stoking the fire (e.g daily mail). Their behaviour is appaling, the mail even has its current headline as 'let the stockpiling begin'.

For those who have watched tomorrow never dies, the media is literally all led by elliot carvers

• Heart
Reactions: 16
duck sake, here we go again with people hoarding toilet rolls and pasta because of one headline! 🤦🏽‍♀️

Reactions: 5
This global energy crisis is really scary. What's going on in Lebanon and China?

I have a bad feeling that high prices are here to stay...

I feel like I’m in a living history class. What is worrying is that an adult who works full time on minimum wage is already one of the top 10% wealthiest people in the world. Those same people will struggle to heat their homes and eat this winter. It’s absolutely horrifying. Im now £120+ per week on a modest food shop, and although we will be able to eat and stay warm this year so we are incredibly privileged, it still scares me that we are one pay cheque away from disaster.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 22
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.