The Winter of Discontent #2 Food, energy, transport, jobs, housing etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I too have wondered what’s going on in China. Stockpiling and not attending the COP makes me think somethings a miss

Reactions: 5
I remember growing up petrol was less than £1 a litre. When it started getting close to £1 people were outraged. Now look where we are, it’s just not sustainable. I wanted to go and visit a friend who lives a couple of hours away, but have had to put it off as we can’t afford to put extra fuel in the car to make the journey. Bit of a first world problem I know but it sucks.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Petrol prices in my local area.

View attachment 819720
Prices pre panic buying were:

Unleaded: 129.7p
Diesel: 132.7p

View attachment 819724
Prices pre panic buying were:

Unleaded: 131.8p
Diesel: 134.8p

All people have manage to succeed in unnecessarily doing is to push prices artificially higher. For which we ALL lose out.
A recent visit highlighted the rather odd situation, whereby the BP was a penny CHEAPER than ASDA for diesel. 145.7p at ASDA Vs 144.8p at BP.

Usually the Supermarkets are cheaper than the big petrol brands.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
I wonder which of us is going to hit the dreaded £1.50 first?

Been putting off ordering heating oil but we are down to our last dregs now. Price...

63.95 per litre. Nearly vomited. I'm not sure if it's ever been this high since we started buying oil 7 years ago and over the past 3 years at least definitely not.

May 19 - 50.55
Oct 19 - 48.25
Feb 20 - 46.95
Mar 20 - 35.80
May 20 - 24.95
Dec 20 - 34.95
Jan 21 - 39.99
Mar 21 - 42.49

I mentioned it in an earlier post but at the very start of the pandemic, we got 1000 litres for £249.50 (base price, not including VAT). Now it's costing us £319.75 for 500 (again base price). People tell you to budget better - budget better for what? Earning no more and paying more for half the amount you used to? How do you figure I budget better for that?

Jesus bleeping wept.
I haven’t topped up our oil yet this year so hadn’t realised prices had risen that much. I last filled it up in December last year at 30p a litre (3,000 litre tank).
We have an oil buyers club locally that helps to keep prices a bit lower, as the suppliers bid to supply a huge number of us and we then choose the cheapest … might be worth looking if there is anything similar near you ?

I remember growing up petrol was less than £1 a litre. When it started getting close to £1 people were outraged. Now look where we are, it’s just not sustainable. I wanted to go and visit a friend who lives a couple of hours away, but have had to put it off as we can’t afford to put extra fuel in the car to make the journey. Bit of a first world problem I know but it sucks.
It was about 97p a litre when my mum passed her test and started driving, that's when I actually started to pay attention to petrol prices etc, before that my dad would probably fill up on the commute to work or back so never had a chance to make note but if I remember correctly that was about 1996/1997.

I avoided visiting my family down south the October half term (300 miles there, 300 back) there was the whole panic buying then and couldn't justify the £80 plus on petrol and then cost of then keeping up, eating out etc.

It's affecting everybody though, spikes in prices, like I know people who eat out a lot and they've cut down to maybe once or twice a month, my niece works in Nandos and her shifts have just been cut as it's quieter than usual. Don't see how small businesses (esp food related) will cope, prices in local takeaways has increased too.

Reactions: 3
I too have wondered what’s going on in China. Stockpiling and not attending the COP makes me think somethings a miss
He didn't attend the G20 in Rome beforehand either. Apparently the Chinese President hasn't left the country since Covid started, and didn't want to risk catching it in Europe? But like, he's definitely vaccinated and they had lots of precautions so...weird. He did still send a delegation to attend (and they had strict instructions to stick to the official Chinese government line etc.)
https://www.itv.com/news/2021-11-01/is-cop26-doomed-to-fail-without-chinas-xi-jinping

Also, as a side note...I'm a bit skeptical as to whether COP26 will make any difference in the long run when it comes to addressing climate change. Maybe I'm just pessimistic . Would love to be convinced to be more optimistic 😅

The quality of chicken at the moment probably doesn't help either. I'm not paying for it in shops or even my local butcher (who is normally good) , let alone paying for a meal out

Reactions: 1
The quality of chicken at the moment probably doesn't help either. I'm not paying for it in shops or even my local butcher (who is normally good) , let alone paying for a meal out
I have noticed this. I have bought chicken fillets from a few different places- supermarkets, butchers etc and some of it has been really really poor quality and tough. And this is coming from a range of places, not just one retailer. Why is this?

I have noticed this. I have bought chicken fillets from a few different places- supermarkets, butchers etc and some of it has been really really poor quality and tough. And this is coming from a range of places, not just one retailer. Why is this?
It's the conditions under which they are raised. Poor diet because of shortages and lack of exercise due to lockdown! My neighbours were just the same, the new ones should better though :devilish:

• Haha
Reactions: 3
A) Covid is a big one as China goes to extremes with their lockdowns. Part of the reason some think Xi missed COP is because of this too - he hasn't left the country the whole time to travel internationally because there's a sense of being in it together. Granted, last time they didn't urge people to stockpile
B) Power supply shortages. I don't think they impacted food production but as restrictions may be heightened and people asked to stay at home, it's reasonable to think that they expect more disruption on that front
C) Flooding ruined a lot of crops or made the ground too wet to plant in

Apparently they import a lot of food, but it seems that there's some uncertainty in a lot of countries with shortages and higher prices. Plus, there's history of famine there too so they're probably a lot more careful about these possibilities

Reactions: 1
Here in the Netherlands the cheapest petrol I found is now € 1,90 (£1,62) and that's in my hometown. Don't even get me started on the prices at the side of the highways...

Reactions: 2
Apparently they import a lot of food,

I know they have been fully embracing western food in more recent years, especially dairy (hence the price jump a few years ago).

because there's a sense of being in it together.

At least one world leader is not just saying it:rolleyes:

Thank you for explaining potential reasons.

What is this madness? Surely other shops will sell cheaper, such as B&M, pound stores etc. I guess I could deal with a shortage of crisps. I need to lose more weight anyway 😄
A vast array of crisps in home bargains today, admittedly not walkers. I'm sure the family will survive on golden wonder 👌

Apparently curry is set to sky rocket next due to spices increasing in price.

• Sad
What is this madness? Surely other shops will sell cheaper, such as B&M, pound stores etc. I guess I could deal with a shortage of crisps. I need to lose more weight anyway 😄
They still had a few walkers packets in my local iceland store. None in Sainsbury's.

We don't usually buy crisps but I had a look for you lot..

Crisps are the first shortage in my local tesco, two weeks now. Same in local waitrose

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.