The Winter of Discontent #2 Food, energy, transport, jobs, housing etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I haven’t been able to load the “energy usage” part of bulb for weeks.
I have downloaded past bills and screenshotted the credit I have on the account “just in case”
The website just doesn’t behave well for me lately. Not sure if that’s in relation to their current troubles, or just an unfortunate coincidence.
I've found exactly the same. Doesn't look good for Bulb

• Sad
Reactions: 3
I'm lucky enough to be getting a pension refund from a job lasting a year. I've already got a good NHS pension to come so have opted for a refund of the other one. It's just over £400 but I've promised my son a bike for Xmas. Halfords have one he likes and with the servicing cover it comes just shy of £275. Still enough!
DS will be 19 by Xmas, he's autistic and this is his first bike as he's just learnt to balance and ride. As such I don't begrudge spending most of the pension money on him.
The rest will go towards repaying some debt ...nothing major but want to get my credit card down to below £300 which I can do if I am careful.

Whoever mentioned Lidl and their roast poultry ..yes, I totally agree that you can get a decent roast for not a lot . We bought one of their stuffed turkey roasts recently and the left overs lasted a few days and went into sandwiches etc.

Petrol locally was £1.44.2 this week...up from £1.42.9 last week.

The bread shelf in Sainsbury's was pretty sparse today and just forget crisps.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Just to cheer everyone up a bit more-
My shopping delivery guy was saying the other week they don’t have enough drivers, lots calling in sick, deliveries cancelled on the day and refunded (either Asda or Tesco, can’t remember which) and also payments bouncing on the day, people unable to pay for the shopping and so no delivery for them 😢
I’m disabled and rely on home shopping delivery, I guess the cost of it is going to go up very soon. I’ve started hoarding UHT not only because it was hard to get, but also it may be hard to get delivered

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
My shopping delivery guy was saying the other week they don’t have enough drivers, lots calling in sick, deliveries cancelled on the day and refunded (either Asda or Tesco, can’t remember which) and also payments bouncing on the day, people unable to pay for the shopping and so no delivery for them 😢
I’m disabled and rely on home shopping delivery, I guess the cost of it is going to go up very soon. I’ve started hoarding UHT not only because it was hard to get, but also it may be hard to get delivered
My shopping bounced the other day 😭 I'd forgotten to update my bank card

• Sad
  • Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 4
I twice had my Visa electron debit card rejected at Tesco and asda despite having money on them. It was written on the Tesco website that they don't accept it. I didn't pay attention to the type of card I had and only found out in the morning that it had been cancelled. So maybe it was also that?

1635872414100.png

I did hear two M&S employees saying they did think people will start panic buying again and there was only one custard item out.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 3
Yes, my friend was self isolating as herself her partner and their son all had covid. They cancelled her delivery on the day 2 hours after it was due to be delivered! Then when she called to complain they said she would just have to reorder for another day. Ridiculous

Reactions: 2
Home shopping delivery drivers and pickers start and quit very very quickly where I work,it’s hard work for minimum wage.
Plus COVID sneaks in and wipes out whole shifts!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Rumours are abounding that the Govt might be doing a U-turn on that UC uplift payment they have just stopped.

Personally I think they have to consider a U turn, energy prices have soared for many people and the NI increase is also going to hit home.

It won't affect us too much as my husband is picking up more work each month again. Plus I'm locked in to a good gas and electric deal until next October. Feeling for those who are struggling though.

My Mum and Dad got a letter raising their monthly payment from £80 to £140 pm . In their 70s and on a pension but do have my Dad's extra private pension to help thankfully. Still a huge issue for them though.

• Heart
  • Wow
This is my first month without the uplift, I only have to think of myself and I can feel that it’s going to start to bite plus everything is becoming more expensive. I can do without it ok, god only knows how it would be if I was half of a couple let alone anyone with kids.

• Heart
We’ve not had post for over a week. I’m waiting on a bank card, neighbours have parcels in the system with no status update since the 22nd Oct 😤

• Wow
Just popped into our local bakery & they’ve got a half page word document detailing the reasons for their upcoming price increases and shortages, I feel so sorry for them as it’s largely staffed by young girls (daughters of the owners & their mates by looks of it!) and they do get a lot of abuse. Imagine the 500 word think piece is in anticipation of that 😞

• Sad
Reactions: 9
We’ve not had post for over a week. I’m waiting on a bank card, neighbours have parcels in the system with no status update since the 22nd Oct 😤
I bought a few things from ebay around 20th Oct from individual seller (second hand clothes) and they only just arrived. The sender messaged me to say on the day of purchase that their postman told them they have massive delays but it seems my area has delays too. I do feel sorry for our postal staff and couriers especially now as we run up to Christmas ☹

Due to lack of butchers etc. we are having export meat to Ireland and the Netherlands for it to be processed and then for it to be returned. This will have quite an impact on prices.....

• Wow
I’ve noticed a decrease in post too, by the time it comes it’ll be 5/6 letters (a lot for us as everything minus council tax and mortgage is paperless!

I bought a few things from ebay around 20th Oct from individual seller (second hand clothes) and they only just arrived. The sender messaged me to say on the day of purchase that their postman told them they have massive delays but it seems my area has delays too. I do feel sorry for our postal staff and couriers especially now as we run up to Christmas ☹
Worse than that will be Black Friday week. Retailers encourage large spends by offering a high free next day delivery thresholds so they’re going to be run off their feet.

Reactions: 5
That's ages! Will make sure to post out cards earlier (I'm usually very last minute).
I bought some stuff on vinted and they were posted Sat and I picked up yesterday. That was with hermes, 2 different sellers

It's actually not a bad idea to go back to the way things were 50/60 years ago. By that I mean saving money where possible and having to choose between luxuries or the more important things.

Too much consumerism these days that, thinking about it, isn't good at all. Myself for example, I would buy a new phone every couple years, but looking back now I wouldn't have done it. I have a phone now that has lasted me for about 5 years.

Eventually it will need replacing, but at least I am not spending 100s of pounds on a phone every couple years. That's just a small example, but there's definitely far more things that I have bought because I wanted it, rather than If I absolutely needed it.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Are you guys aware of the worldwide fertilizer issue going on?

Since China reduced it's exports, India has implemented a a "war room" tracking live movements of it.

There will be knock on effects on crops further effecting food prices.

It's actually not a bad idea to go back to the way things were 50/60 years ago. By that I mean saving money where possible and having to choose between luxuries or the more important things.

Too much consumerism these days that, thinking about it, isn't good at all. Myself for example, I would buy a new phone every couple years, but looking back now I wouldn't have done it. I have a phone now that has lasted me for about 5 years.

Eventually it will need replacing, but at least I am not spending 100s of pounds on a phone every couple years. That's just a small example, but there's definitely far more things that I have bought because I wanted it, rather than If I absolutely needed it.
I agree. We are so wasteful and consumer driven as a society it is actually sickening. (I fully include myself in this.)

Reactions: 7
I agree. We are so wasteful and consumer driven as a society it is actually sickening. (I fully include myself in this.)
Yep, we put want over need. I'm trying to live by need atm, 2nd week in and I'm already a little better off (this includes cutting out junk food during the week and allowing myself and the kids 2 treats on the weekends, not only is it healthier, it's kinder on my wallet). We cut off Sky and don't need a TV licence anymore. So are £36 better off there too.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I went shopping the other day and it’s noticeable that clothes shops have less stock - there are less stands/furniture to display the clothes on

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.