The Winter of Discontent #2 Food, energy, transport, jobs, housing etc

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I went shopping the other day and it’s noticeable that clothes shops have less stock - there are less stands/furniture to display the clothes on
i wonder if it’a to reduce waste or stock being left in shops? I think peoples buying habits have changed and so many people buying online now so thestock is better in warehouses to ensure range of sizes for shipping?

Reactions: 5
i wonder if it’a to reduce waste or stock being left in shops? I think peoples buying habits have changed and so many people buying online now so thestock is better in warehouses to ensure range of sizes for shipping?
Well some shops could be doing that but Primark doesn’t do web sales and they had much less out

Reactions: 2
Well some shops could be doing that but Primark doesn’t do web sales and they had much less out
it could be that they're keeping stuff back for Black Friday etc and December. Or they can't get the stock. From a business perspective, I can see why they'd think it's better to keep the stock back for end of November/December than not have stock for those months

Reactions: 3
it could be that they're keeping stuff back for Black Friday etc and December. Or they can't get the stock. From a business perspective, I can see why they'd think it's better to keep the stock back for end of November/December than not have stock for those months
Whatever the reason, there’s less available

ahh I forget about shops like that. I live in a rural area and our nearest primark is quite far away in a city so never go there now…and I’m pregnant so can never find anything on the high street anymore! I swear in my first pregnancy there were maternity clothes in stores. Really doesn’t seem to be now!

Petrol yesterday was £1.47.9 😲.

Different petrol station to my usual one but it's the highest I've ever paid.

I don't go into clothes shops so can't comment...I tend to use Sainsburys and they seem to have a good range still.

Everything seems to have increased in price though.

Things in lidls this morning noticeably increased in price, Big pack of birds eye chicken dippers was 2.99 for the last two weeks (I know cause I allways look and umm and ahh over buying them as I love them 🤣) today they were 3.15

SE="Littleelf, post: 6965663, member: 162415"]
Things in lidls this morning noticeably increased in price, Big pack of birds eye chicken dippers was 2.99 for the last two weeks (I know cause I allways look and umm and ahh over buying them as I love them 🤣) today they were 3.15
[/QUOTE]
I've noticed this in supermarkets, the price jumps by 10-15 pence regularly recently. I guess with disruption in production and then also logistics they are passing on the price to us.

A billionaire grocery shop chain owner warned of price increases of up to 10% within 60 days.

China has also told all citizens to have a stockpile of daily necessities before winter .

I also think we will see panic buying again when people realize how bad things are really getting.The truth is no one will put your family above theirs, so it makes sense to buy something extra each week if you can.

Petrol yesterday was £1.47.9 😲.

Different petrol station to my usual one but it's the highest I've ever paid.

I don't go into clothes shops so can't comment...I tend to use Sainsburys and they seem to have a good range still.
London £1.49 at one Tesco station.

Last edited:
I wonder which of us is going to hit the dreaded £1.50 first?

Been putting off ordering heating oil but we are down to our last dregs now. Price...

63.95 per litre. Nearly vomited. I'm not sure if it's ever been this high since we started buying oil 7 years ago and over the past 3 years at least definitely not.

May 19 - 50.55
Oct 19 - 48.25
Feb 20 - 46.95
Mar 20 - 35.80
May 20 - 24.95
Dec 20 - 34.95
Jan 21 - 39.99
Mar 21 - 42.49

I mentioned it in an earlier post but at the very start of the pandemic, we got 1000 litres for £249.50 (base price, not including VAT). Now it's costing us £319.75 for 500 (again base price). People tell you to budget better - budget better for what? Earning no more and paying more for half the amount you used to? How do you figure I budget better for that?

Jesus bleeping wept.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
I wonder which of us is going to hit the dreaded £1.50 first?

Been putting off ordering heating oil but we are down to our last dregs now. Price...

63.95 per litre. Nearly vomited. I'm not sure if it's ever been this high since we started buying oil 7 years ago and over the past 3 years at least definitely not.

May 19 - 50.55
Oct 19 - 48.25
Feb 20 - 46.95
Mar 20 - 35.80
May 20 - 24.95
Dec 20 - 34.95
Jan 21 - 39.99
Mar 21 - 42.49

I mentioned it in an earlier post but at the very start of the pandemic, we got 1000 litres for £249.50 (base price, not including VAT). Now it's costing us £319.75 for 500 (again base price). People tell you to budget better - budget better for what? Earning no more and paying more for half the amount you used to? How do you figure I budget better for that?

Jesus bleeping wept.
The smaller independents are already £1.51/2 here. Not sure what the smaller towns tesco is as their prices on the sign are still turned off

• Sad
Reactions: 4
I've noticed increases in lidl's meat and fish, as well as things like tesco charging 2.50 for a sleeve of pringles and 2quid for most share bags of crisps.
The money definitely doesn't go as far now on weekly shops now.

Reactions: 6
Where I live in the south I personally haven't really had any shortages of food. Also I think that phrase itself is misleading, its not like anyone is starving.

Until this week I noticed the crisp aisle (not something I buy) was pretty bare. Apparently there is a potato shortage which has obviously impacted crisp manufacturing

Reactions: 5
@jackolantern I just paid 150.9 for diesel! Expect it'll be higher next time I fill up
And for all this, there seems to be no encouragement to move to electric! They are still £25k plus, and I don't get why there aren't any incentives or subsidies to help us make the change.

Where I live in the south I personally haven't really had any shortages of food. Also I think that phrase itself is misleading, its not like anyone is starving.

Until this week I noticed the crisp aisle (not something I buy) was pretty bare. Apparently there is a potato shortage which has obviously impacted crisp manufacturing
Ditto here and I’m in the NE, no issues at all.

I've noticed increases in lidl's meat and fish, as well as things like tesco charging 2.50 for a sleeve of pringles and 2quid for most share bags of crisps.
The money definitely doesn't go as far now on weekly shops now.
It actually makes me only buy food I should be eating 😅 rather than snacks. I guess that's one benefit to price increasing on junk food haha.

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.