The White Lotus

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I enjoyed both series for different reasons.

I think Jennifer Coolidge will be back for S3 ... they'll likely explain it as a dream sequence or something. The show wouldn't really survive without her character.

The actress who played Portia drove me mad ... she was just so blah - it should've been cast with someone who looked similar in build to Jennifer Coolidge, then when she returns for S3 they could've explained that they'd swapped places.

Reactions: 4
I dont necessarily think they need JC back - I like the overlapping of stories series to series without a direct thread.

They could even back forth between the upcoming series too, so like the family from series one could be in series 3 and the couples from series 2 could come back for 4.

Reactions: 8
Yeah I'm not fussed about JC being back. She's OK in small doses and was good in the role but she certainly isn't the main draw.

It's the writing and direction. They have cast it perfectly so far so as long as the story is as good as the last two then it will be fine

Reactions: 12
Yeah I'm not fussed about JC being back. She's OK in small doses and was good in the role but she certainly isn't the main draw.

It's the writing and direction. They have cast it perfectly so far so as long as the story is as good as the last two then it will be fine
I genuinely don’t understand the fuss about JC. She acted the role as if the character had some form of cerebral impairment or cognitive processing issue, spoke her lines as if she’d never spoken a sentence out loud before, and her primary character trait was that she was perpetually either baffled or amazed by the simplest of occurrences.

Reactions: 9
So true! I don’t understand the hype around her and her character. It was as if she’d recently risen from a coma and had forgotten how to express herself.
She seems to play the same character in everything

Reactions: 5
So true! I don’t understand the hype around her and her character. It was as if she’d recently risen from a coma and had forgotten how to express herself.
i like her but if she wins the emmy over sarah snook (like is being predicted) i will be so mad!!

Reactions: 2
i like her but if she wins the emmy over sarah snook (like is being predicted) i will be so mad!!
I like her performance too but she already won an Emmy last year give someone else a go! Not that the Emmys ever use that rational mentality 😂

I like her performance too but she already won an Emmy last year give someone else a go! Not that the Emmys ever use that rational mentality 😂
they’ve also moved white lotus from limited series into drama series this year, which means they’re going up against big competition (ie succession, better call saul etc). coolidge pretty much swept actress in a limited series but she’ll struggle in drama i think. but i’m just pulling heavily for snook after that last succession ep!

Reactions: 1
they’ve also moved white lotus from limited series into drama series this year, which means they’re going up against big competition (ie succession, better call saul etc). coolidge pretty much swept actress in a limited series but she’ll struggle in drama i think. but i’m just pulling heavily for snook after that last succession ep!
do we think Jennifer will be in supporting or main categories? She won supporting last time (I think) but I’m wondering if HBO might submit her as main because she’s the only returning cast member and she had the memes each episode. I don’t think we will see nearly as many nominations as we did for S1 because the drama categories are so stacked - I’m thinking Aubrey (maybe Megan) in supporting, Jennifer in main and maybe a rogue nomination for Theo James in supporting actor

Honestly as much as I liked it, none of the acting screams award worthy

Reactions: 3
do we think Jennifer will be in supporting or main categories? She won supporting last time (I think) but I’m wondering if HBO might submit her as main because she’s the only returning cast member and she had the memes each episode. I don’t think we will see nearly as many nominations as we did for S1 because the drama categories are so stacked - I’m thinking Aubrey (maybe Megan) in supporting, Jennifer in main and maybe a rogue nomination for Theo James in supporting actor
the rumour is that she’ll push for main and so free up supporting for the other actresses. again, that puts her against major competition who she shouldn’t beat really!

i think the biggest shout actor will be f murray abraham (who will certainly go for supporting actor) but even then he’ll be up against almost all the succession guys apart from jeremy strong. i agree that we won’t see anywhere near as many noms as we did when it was in limited series.
---
Honestly as much as I liked it, none of the acting screams award worthy
fully agree for this series.

series 1 had much better acting imo - murray bartlett deserved every award he won!

I would respectfully disagree!! I was HOOKED on Season 1 like wishing my days away so I could watch the next episode 🤣 season 2 was still great but season 1 was more up my street
I enjoyed it, for sure, but to me it just feels more of a glossy, ‘soapy’ type of thing - bags of fun in an ‘oooh, aren’t some rich people hilariously, cringe-inducingly awful?’ type of way, but not especially meaningful or with a great deal of depth. 🤷‍♀️

I think you need to watch both series more than once to get all the subtlety!

I watched season 2, and enjoyed it, then watched it again with my daughter, laughed a lot more and connected a lot more of the threads!

Theres a lot of tangled links. like the sexist grandfather, father and son, being taken for a ride by Lucia. In a way its nice to see the sex worker abusing her clients, instead of vice versa! And their positivity and entitlement, when they want to meet distant relatives in Sicily!

I too loved Essex Jack and Tom Hollander as his Uncle, and the way they set up Tanya, almost as a sacrifice to their need for money, they pampered her, took her to the opera and spoilt her rotten, and then the whole thing went sour!
Essex Jack was trying to have fun with Portia, trying to keep her out of the way, and he did take her to the airport.

I did think a lot of the characters were so shallow, and unlikeable, it must be hard for the actors, to get much of a character out of them. I didn't quite get the interactions between Ethan & Harper and Daphne & Cameron. I didn't see enough of the characters or their motivation, to have a clue about what was meant to be going on there! There was obvious game playing and exploitation, but what was the game and who ended up being exploited?
---

Thailand next! Didn’t someone in this thread have a theory about that?
I wonder if the next series will refer to some kind of legal challenges about where Tanya's money goes!!

In theory it should go to Greg, or should it? You could have Portia and Albie going to the new hotel as a new young couple on their honeymoon, with echoes of Tanya's death coming into the story!

Jack could also be there, as someone who is being paid hush money to keep his knowledge of the crime covered up???

Last edited:

I watched season 2, and enjoyed it, then watched it again with my daughter, laughed a lot more and connected a lot more of the threads!

Theres a lot of tangled links. like the sexist grandfather, father and son, being taken for a ride by Lucia. In a way its nice to see the sex worker abusing her clients, instead of vice versa! And their positivity and entitlement, when they want to meet distant relatives in Sicily!

I too loved Essex Jack and Tom Hollander as his Uncle, and the way they set up Tanya, almost as a sacrifice to their need for money, they pampered her, took her to the opera and spoilt her rotten, and then the whole thing went sour!
Essex Jack was trying to have fun with Portia, trying to keep her out of the way, and he did take her to the airport.

I did think a lot of the characters were so shallow, and unlikeable, it must be hard for the actors, to get much of a character out of them. I didn't quite get the interactions between Ethan & Harper and Daphne & Cameron. I didn't see enough of the characters or their motivation, to have a clue about what was meant to be going on there! There was obvious game playing and exploitation, but what was the game and who ended up being exploited?
I agree, I think the writing is brilliant. And although all the actors are great, neither series screamed award worthy acting personally.

This is probably true, but I wasn’t interested enough in either series to feel like investing in a rewatch - shows like The Sopranos, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Succession, etc, I never tire of seeing and always find something new with every viewing, but as fun and entertaining as White Lotus is, it’s just not in the same league - a good show, certainly, but for me the writing & acting are not of equivalent calibre to warrant the same sort of longevity or acclaim as some other shows.

I also preferred season 1!
If it wasn’t for the last episode of season 2 I would have agreed with you as I am also a massive Murray Bartlett fan. But duck me, that last episode in S2 has to be some of the best television I’ve ever seen in my life!