The share my dog thread

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m fostering at the moment and in the same position, never been in a house, had no idea what a toy is and we’re still struggling with walks and fear, it’s defo a journey, best of luck with everything xx
We took her out in the car earlier to a large, quiet area by the estuary & she was fine, started off pulling hard on the lead but soon calmed down a lot, eventually walking nicely.
Never reacted to a couple of passing dogs either, it's traffic, loud car noises she doesn't like/isn't used to yet.
We have a lot of buses & cars that pass along the bottom of the road so I might walk her up & down our street very early tomorrow morning when it's deserted.

Reactions: 10
This is what I have to do too. She’s fine once she’s away from any moving cars. Must be a big scary world

Reactions: 2
This is what I have to do too. She’s fine once she’s away from any moving cars. Must be a big scary world
She's now decided that she won't get in the car, hates it.
Friday will be fun as she has a Vet appointment, and we can only get there by car.
On the plus side I took her for a 20-30min walk this morning, tried to spin around a couple of times but told her no, come on, she's a strong wee bugger on the lead
2 or 3 cars passed and she never really flinched, which is good, nearing home she recognised house & was up the driveway like a bullet.

Reactions: 3
There’s those treats you can get to calm them isn’t there? Maybe a good idea before she gets in the car. I’ve got a link if you wanted it x

Reactions: 2
There’s those treats you can get to calm them isn’t there? Maybe a good idea before she gets in the car. I’ve got a link if you wanted it x
Yes, post the link please
Every other Grey we have had loved going in cars lol
After walk - she blends in with carpet

Reactions: 7
@Bobby Chariot oh my gosh she's beautiful, and bless you for taking on another Greyhound.
Just been reading back, she looks so settled already, look at her on the bed
I've no advice on the getting her in the car, my boy suffers with travel sickness, it's taken years ( he's only 5) for him to do only a 10 mile round trip without being sick, no one would know he's in my truck, he lies down in back and doesn't move!

Reactions: 1
Just wish more people would consider re-homing a hound tbh.
People at the shelter said that due to the cost of living there had been a big drop-off in folk wanting to take on a hound.
Such a shame, as for £100-200 you can get a vaccinated, neutered, gentle, pedigree dog.
Thanks maid22

Reactions: 3
I know, the price of puppies are so expensive, then there's the jabs etc, my last boy cost £200!!
I've always been keen on a Greyhound/ lurcher, but I also love Jack Russells, I'd love another dog, do miss having 2, but tis awkward at the mo.

First zooms around the garden at high speed yesterday, then tried to dig a large hole (maybe trying to impress the dog next door who was watching her through fence)
She slept all night last night for the first time & I heard her attempting the stairs in hall this morning, grabbing cushions from settee & tossing them around is a new game too.

Reactions: 11
Good luck at the vets!

Good luck at the vets!
Vets went well, it is same one we used for our previous Greyhounds, she used to work at the dog tracks & is brilliant.
Got her ears cleaned, annual vaccination & worm/flea/tick application to use over the weekend.
Once Tara has settled properly at home she'll go back & get teeth tidied up.
Bit of an ordeal getting her in the car again lol.
Now worn out

Reactions: 10
Two weeks since taking Tara home I did some research & found that she was still racing until Springtime this year.
Raced 40-odd times, 7 wins & 9 second placings.
This explains her being totally wired in the garden just now, running around crazy, rolling about on her back & if she spots a squirrel she's like a loaded gun lol
This certainly should not discourage anyone from re-homing a Grey I hope, as after only 2 weeks she is coming out of her shell, discovering life outside of a kennel so to speak, she's a very quick learner & a really lovely girl.

Reactions: 14
@Bobby Chariot she's beautiful, how is she settling?

Am in abit of a dilemma, really want another dog, just found out where I got my last jr from, there's a bitch in pups, am so tempted, but we tried a pup with my dog last year and it didn't work,I really think he was grieving his mate, not sure what do to.

She's been a bit of a madam the past day or two, really going nuts in the garden.
The grass out back looks like a WW1 battlefield lol
It will take a few months for her to really settle I feel, the fact the she was still racing this year doesn't help, but she is very intelligent & stubborn.
Not sure about your dilemma but 1 dog is more than enough for us just now
I guess you would need to take your dog along & see how it reacts to the pups?