The share my dog thread

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Flying this morning
20240406_091959.jpg

Had a session with dog behaviourist a few days ago, some of the training/ideas seemed strange but when explained, made sense.
---
If anyone would like to sign this petition, please do.
Many thanks

• Heart
Reactions: 8
This is my boy, he's an 18 month old rescue Staffy x Lurcher. He's the most ridiculous dog, loves the kids so much, and makes us happy every day despite his shenanigans 😆 ETA his nails were in need of a trim here, have been cut since, despite his best efforts.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Does anyone have any advice on a puppy being over protective? It's only if I'm holding him and someone strokes him he sometimes gets angry. Otherwise he is friendly and loves attention from others. I'm thinking of just not allowing others to stroke him when I have hold of him and eventually as he gets older he will stop.
My trainer for other things said at this age it's distracting him is key and not allowing him to form habits. So my thinking is if people don't stroke when I am holding him he won't form the habit of protecting me. Also thinking of getting my parents to have him more often so he is away from me more. Was maybe thinking of booking him into home boarding for a week or something so he is away for a longer time.
---
My trainer gave me a tip of getting them to give him a treat instead of stroking I guess so he gets rewarded for allowing people upto me/him

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
Does anyone have any advice on a puppy being over protective? It's only if I'm holding him and someone strokes him he sometimes gets angry. Otherwise he is friendly and loves attention from others. I'm thinking of just not allowing others to stroke him when I have hold of him and eventually as he gets older he will stop.
My trainer for other things said at this age it's distracting him is key and not allowing him to form habits. So my thinking is if people don't stroke when I am holding him he won't form the habit of protecting me. Also thinking of getting my parents to have him more often so he is away from me more. Was maybe thinking of booking him into home boarding for a week or something so he is away for a longer time.
---
My trainer gave me a tip of getting them to give him a treat instead of stroking I guess so he gets rewarded for allowing people upto me/him
These all sound like good things to do. Maybe if he does start getting angry, put him down if it's safe to do so? So he learns that anger = not being held?

The treat thing might be a bit confusing because if he is angry and then people give him a treat, he might think he's being rewarded for that anger?

Sorry if this isn't helpful but I wish you luck 😊.

These all sound like good things to do. Maybe if he does start getting angry, put him down if it's safe to do so? So he learns that anger = not being held?

The treat thing might be a bit confusing because if he is angry and then people give him a treat, he might think he's being rewarded for that anger?

Sorry if this isn't helpful but I wish you luck 😊.
She means give him a treat before he is angry so if I have him they come over the give him a treat then ignore him so he will associate people coming over as a good thing. But yes I think I will put him down and ignore him if he does it. Thank you ☺
He also hates brushing which I'm working on but he seems to do well then gets angry hopefully just needs work

• Heart
Reactions: 1
She means give him a treat before he is angry so if I have him they come over the give him a treat then ignore him so he will associate people coming over as a good thing. But yes I think I will put him down and ignore him if he does it. Thank you ☺
He also hates brushing which I'm working on but he seems to do well then gets angry hopefully just needs work
Of course, duh 😂 my bad, sorry!

How old is he? My baby hated being brushed for about the first 6 months we had her but she loves it now. We would give her treats (or bits of her dry food as there's not much she can eat due to her sensitive tummy) while brushing but we'd stop when she'd try get away. I'm not sure how helpful that is, my dog is a lab so very good motivated but if yours isn't, maybe try playing tug with a toy while brushing?

Of course, duh 😂 my bad, sorry!

How old is he? My baby hated being brushed for about the first 6 months we had her but she loves it now. We would give her treats (or bits of her dry food as there's not much she can eat due to her sensitive tummy) while brushing but we'd stop when she'd try get away. I'm not sure how helpful that is, my dog is a lab so very good motivated but if yours isn't, maybe try playing tug with a toy while brushing?
He is 5 months. He is good for a bit, I brush after a few brushes I reward whilst brushing, but then he'll just turn and bite. It can be hard to keep him still which makes it harder. When he went for a puppy groom they said he was good but not sure if they brushed him, I think it was a bath, dry, cut nails and trim a bit of fur.
He isn't that good motivated which does make it harder and he loves toys but again not enough to take his mind off what I'm doing.
I think what makes it worse is that I work with animals and he is partly a breed that was one of the most aggressive dogs I've seen, it was a rescue and I think that was mainly why for that dog and I've met others that are nice but that one always sticks in my head. So I just don't want him to turn out like that dog. My trainer said when he showed this behaviour for something else she wouldn't be worried due to his age, as puppies learn with their mouths and distract him so he doesn't form a habit but I'm still worried 🙈.
The things I'm thankful for: good off lead usually good recall (doing classes on this at the moment as well to make it better), good in his crate and no separation anxiety, although I get told he does because he gets upset if I leave the room or give him to someone however when left alone he is a perfect 😇.
---
I'm so tempted to send him to a residential dog training place for a short time. As I think it'll do him good to be away from me for longer than a day or two as I think he is just too attached, I was thinking of maybe sending him to boarding for a short time for this but may as well get training at the same time? Although I'm not sure I agree with them as I believe I should be the one that does the work 😅😅 but I'd rather nip it in the bud now than be left with a bigger problem
---
Also he keeps chasing one of my cats 😅 the other he doesn't care about she just walks around stays on the floor near him, the other he won't let her! I just want the cat to stick up for herself she's bigger than him, just get your claws out and teach him a lesson

Last edited:
  • Heart
He is 5 months. He is good for a bit, I brush after a few brushes I reward whilst brushing, but then he'll just turn and bite. It can be hard to keep him still which makes it harder. When he went for a puppy groom they said he was good but not sure if they brushed him, I think it was a bath, dry, cut nails and trim a bit of fur.
He isn't that good motivated which does make it harder and he loves toys but again not enough to take his mind off what I'm doing.
I think what makes it worse is that I work with animals and he is partly a breed that was one of the most aggressive dogs I've seen, it was a rescue and I think that was mainly why for that dog and I've met others that are nice but that one always sticks in my head. So I just don't want him to turn out like that dog. My trainer said when he showed this behaviour for something else she wouldn't be worried due to his age, as puppies learn with their mouths and distract him so he doesn't form a habit but I'm still worried 🙈.
The things I'm thankful for: good off lead usually good recall (doing classes on this at the moment as well to make it better), good in his crate and no separation anxiety, although I get told he does because he gets upset if I leave the room or give him to someone however when left alone he is a perfect 😇.
---
I'm so tempted to send him to a residential dog training place for a short time. As I think it'll do him good to be away from me for longer than a day or two as I think he is just too attached, I was thinking of maybe sending him to boarding for a short time for this but may as well get training at the same time? Although I'm not sure I agree with them as I believe I should be the one that does the work 😅😅 but I'd rather nip it in the bud now than be left with a bigger problem
---
Also he keeps chasing one of my cats 😅 the other he doesn't care about she just walks around stays on the floor near him, the other he won't let her! I just want the cat to stick up for herself she's bigger than him, just get your claws out and teach him a lesson
As a dog groomer I can say they definitely would’ve brushed him whilst drying and trimming! I do find dogs will let me brush them more than their owners🤣

Reactions: 3
Also the cats don't help when I'm training him they want to come into the room. Meowing scratching at the door until I let them in, then they decide they don't want to come in run upstairs, 5 minutes later once I've started training again they want to come in 🙄
---
As a dog groomer I can say they definitely would’ve brushed him whilst drying and trimming! I do find dogs will let me brush them more than their owners🤣
I didn't think so thank you. I did originally have him booked with another groomer but he was sick so I cancelled. She was going to have him for a few hours to get him used to everything maybe I should rebook.

This is my boy, he's an 18 month old rescue Staffy x Lurcher. He's the most ridiculous dog, loves the kids so much, and makes us happy every day despite his shenanigans 😆 ETA his nails were in need of a trim here, have been cut since, despite his best efforts.
Beautiful hound 👌

• Heart
Has anyone had any experience of dogs with blockages? We're on holiday and our poor boy has ended up in the hospital today for scans and xrays as he won't stop being sick.
I feel so unbelievably guilty. We've not taken our eyes off of him all holiday yet he's ended up poorly. We were meant to be going home this evening/tomorrow. I'm so worried

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Has anyone had any experience of dogs with blockages? We're on holiday and our poor boy has ended up in the hospital today for scans and xrays as he won't stop being sick.
I feel so unbelievably guilty. We've not taken our eyes off of him all holiday yet he's ended up poorly. We were meant to be going home this evening/tomorrow. I'm so worried
Sorry to hear that, hopefully he'll be ok, he must have swallowed something while you weren't looking, could be anything, a stick, an item of clothing, a sock even.
Years ago our hound managed to eat a roast chicken carcass as it was being put in the bin, he was sick next morning & had an operation to remove it after x-rays.

Sorry to hear that, hopefully he'll be ok, he must have swallowed something while you weren't looking, could be anything, a stick, an item of clothing, a sock even.
Years ago our hound managed to eat a roast chicken carcass as it was being put in the bin, he was sick next morning & had an operation to remove it after x-rays.
We had him at the emergency vets, turns out his stomach was just full of gas and liquid! Poor boy was so uncomfortable. He had his tummy drained and my bank account s now £400 lighter but he's more than on the mend. A bit gutted we missed out on the last two days of the holiday but we can make that up later. I'm just so pleased he's ok!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
@AladdinSane my dog is prone to hunger sickness but won’t eat without me in the room 🤡 so she gets like this every now and then, usually if I’m out at her regular meal time. I got home for a wedding a few weeks ago to sick all over the kitchen, even though there was food down and people had been in to walk her. I find giving her a treat before bed just in case helps to make sure she’s got something in her stomach.

We had him at the emergency vets, turns out his stomach was just full of gas and liquid! Poor boy was so uncomfortable. He had his tummy drained and my bank account s now £400 lighter but he's more than on the mend. A bit gutted we missed out on the last two days of the holiday but we can make that up later. I'm just so pleased he's ok!
@AladdinSane my dog is prone to hunger sickness but won’t eat without me in the room 🤡 so she gets like this every now and then, usually if I’m out at her regular meal time. I got home for a wedding a few weeks ago to sick all over the kitchen, even though there was food down and people had been in to walk her. I find giving her a treat before bed just in case helps to make sure she’s got something in her stomach.
Greyhounds are quite prone to similar stomach problems, they have a fast metabolism and produce excess stomach acid.
Our previous boy was prescribed a tablet which helped control it, he stopped having bouts of being sick, a little food or plain low-fat yoghurt before bed can help too.
I will try remember the med and post it later.
---
Zitac is the medication, it worked well, eventually we would only give him a tab intermittently or if we heard a loud rumbling from his belly 😬
(Prescription only)

Last edited:
  • Heart