The share my dog thread

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Back to the "run-free" field this morning, been going now for around 7 weeks, she loves it.
There's a golf course a couple of fields beyond & she yelps/stares at the folk pulling their golf bags along :rolleyes:

20240217_090741.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 7
My rescue is reactive, it’s really tough. Bernie looks like a good boy ❤
It is so tough isn’t it. He is making progress so hopefully we can get him to a place where he feels more confident and we are also more confident in the situations where he still feels overwhelmed.
---
Back to the "run-free" field this morning, been going now for around 7 weeks, she loves it.
There's a golf course a couple of fields beyond & she yelps/stares at the folk pulling their golf bags along :rolleyes:

View attachment 2778288
Love a fun free field. Thanks goodness they exist.

Reactions: 2
It is so tough isn’t it. He is making progress so hopefully we can get him to a place where he feels more confident and we are also more confident in the situations where he still feels overwhelmed.
---

Love a fun free field. Thanks goodness they exist.
SO tough. Building your confidence really is as important as building his. The best advice my behaviourist gave me was to stop caring what people think, it took me the best part of a year to take it on board but it the biggest difference. I used to feel like I was failing her because I couldn’t stop her reactions but I’ve realised I probably never will so there’s more point being embarrassed. I give her as much space as I can when she needs it and if another dog gets too close and she lunges, I walk away laughing about how dramatic she is. Really recommend tubes of squeezy cheese as a distraction!

Reactions: 3
SO tough. Building your confidence really is as important as building his. The best advice my behaviourist gave me was to stop caring what people think, it took me the best part of a year to take it on board but it the biggest difference. I used to feel like I was failing her because I couldn’t stop her reactions but I’ve realised I probably never will so there’s more point being embarrassed. I give her as much space as I can when she needs it and if another dog gets too close and she lunges, I walk away laughing about how dramatic she is. Really recommend tubes of squeezy cheese as a distraction!
Squeezy cheese 🙌🏻 we also love Arden Grange liver pate in the squeezy tube.

Reactions: 1
This is my rescue boy Dodger. He's a Kerry Blue Terrier and an absolute knob head at times but I love him to bits. They are a really smart but stubborn breed and very people focused. He's not too bothered by other dogs but is not at all keen on brachy dogs or a neighbours boxer dogs. He absolutely loved bananas and will cry if you eat one without giving him a piece. This was when he found a collapsed tunnel to a badger sett. Thankfully he overcame the breed's origin of hunting badgers and didn't try to dig in.
1000009620.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 12
After lots of of chats on phone, we have arranged an appointment, taking our boy so they can meet him and see how he is, then hopefully meet one of the dogs, this will be the decider for us if he can live with another dog, I'm apprehensive, but looking forward to it to.

• Heart
Had first meeting, it went well, already booked in for another 4 meets in the week, I need to see what they're like together off leads, her back story is awful, there are some very cruel buggers out there.

Has anyone done the bronze Kennel club good citizen training? My puppy classes finish this week so trying to decide whether it's worth to do the bronze award.
I've signed up for recall classes because at the time there wasn't any bronze awards I could make it to due to work, but now they've released more dates which will perfectly line up with when I'd finish recall class.

Has anyone done the bronze Kennel club good citizen training? My puppy classes finish this week so trying to decide whether it's worth to do the bronze award.
I've signed up for recall classes because at the time there wasn't any bronze awards I could make it to due to work, but now they've released more dates which will perfectly line up with when I'd finish recall class.
We have :) Loved it! I have seen such a difference in my boy since going to training and onto the bronze award.

FB_IMG_1708345280174.jpg

My little baby, turned one last Tuesday! This was a picture from the kennel and everytime I see it, I can't help but laugh 😂 .

Unfortunately she has as many health problems as I do 😂

She can't have gluten or grains. When people see her, they try give her dog treats without even asking which infuriates me because she can't have anything 😂.

She's got some hip/leg problems and the vet doesn't know what it is for sure but we're on strict instructions to not walk her too much, only once or twice a day for no more than 10 minutes. That makes me sad for her because she has so much energy and I'd love her to be able to go on nice long walks...

The vet also says not to let her run and jump about but I'd like to see them try stop her 😂.

She's on pain meds and YuMove which seems to be making a difference, although she does walk abit funny, I have seen other labs walk the same though!

We've just moved and now have more neighbours around us which she isn't used to so every time she goes out, she barks! Going to have to put her on leash in the garden and if she barks bring her back in and try again but does anyone have any tips for the barking? I know dogs will bark but it's every time and I don't want to be *that* neighbour plus, it's sometimes even after midnight which doesn't help my anxiety 🥹.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
My girlie barks when she goes into the garden at night, she explodes out the back door kicking off. My behaviourist advised exactly that, to bring her in immediately as it can become self rewarding.

View attachment 2835411

My little baby, turned one last Tuesday! This was a picture from the kennel and everytime I see it, I can't help but laugh 😂 .

Unfortunately she has as many health problems as I do 😂

She can't have gluten or grains. When people see her, they try give her dog treats without even asking which infuriates me because she can't have anything 😂.

She's got some hip/leg problems and the vet doesn't know what it is for sure but we're on strict instructions to not walk her too much, only once or twice a day for no more than 10 minutes. That makes me sad for her because she has so much energy and I'd love her to be able to go on nice long walks...

The vet also says not to let her run and jump about but I'd like to see them try stop her 😂.

She's on pain meds and YuMove which seems to be making a difference, although she does walk abit funny, I have seen other labs walk the same though!

We've just moved and now have more neighbours around us which she isn't used to so every time she goes out, she barks! Going to have to put her on leash in the garden and if she barks bring her back in and try again but does anyone have any tips for the barking? I know dogs will bark but it's every time and I don't want to be *that* neighbour plus, it's sometimes even after midnight which doesn't help my anxiety 🥹.
Have you stolen my dog or something? He sounds exactly the same as yours and even looks similar too:D Are they going to investigate the hip problems any further? Ours has similar, they found it was caused by nerve pain. He's now on Gabapentin and it's made a huge difference, it's freed up his joints so much and he's much happier. No help with the barking though as mine is an absolute head when it comes to that and will bark at everything at every opportunity🤦‍♀️

• Haha
My dog barks in the garden if he hears someone going past the fence (or thinks he does 🙄). We bring him straight inside if he does that. We’ve found that if we can preempt the barking we are able to distract him with a game of sniffing our treats or playing with the football whilst people go past. He’s an idiot though.

Have you stolen my dog or something? He sounds exactly the same as yours and even looks similar too:D Are they going to investigate the hip problems any further? Ours has similar, they found it was caused by nerve pain. He's now on Gabapentin and it's made a huge difference, it's freed up his joints so much and he's much happier. No help with the barking though as mine is an absolute head when it comes to that and will bark at everything at every opportunity🤦‍♀️
They mentioned further imaging but at the following appointment they just said they're not sure and the best option for now is pain relief/YuMove and minimal walks and then they had the audacity to complain about her being 1kg overweight and said we need to stop giving her treats which we don't (we give her 1 bit of her food when praising her so not excessive) and it's not like she can go for long walks and run about for a few hours. Honestly feel like it was fate that we ended up with her as I have just as many health problems as she does 😂

My dog barks in the garden if he hears someone going past the fence (or thinks he does 🙄). We bring him straight inside if he does that. We’ve found that if we can preempt the barking we are able to distract him with a game of sniffing our treats or playing with the football whilst people go past. He’s an idiot though.
Honestly, it's bad enough when she barks at the neighbours but I think it's worse when she's barking at a random bit of polystyrene at 12.30am 😂. Funnily enough, she seems to forget how to listen when she's barking 🙄😂.
---
Going to have to put her on leash in the garden and if she barks bring her back in and try again
She hasn't barked since I mentioned this so she must have been reading over my shoulder, haha.

The only issue we have with it is that with the leash on, she then thinks she's going for a walk and will not go in the garden but I guess it'll just take time. She is still a baby after all!

Bugger decided she wasn't leaving the field this morning, and gave us the run-a-round, we had to try and catch her to put lead back on, folk were waiting to use their slot on the field, so embarrassing 😁
We are seeing the behaviourist again this week about some of her foibles, like not wanting cuddles when she's lying down, occasional growling etc.
She's still a work in progress, her previous life wasn't good at all.
20240316_091310.jpg

*catch me if you can* 🖕

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Hahahaha they're little shits! My baby knows when I say it's time to go or come inside that I mean business but she'll give my husband the run around.. especially in the middle of the night 😂

I've told him that it's his own fault because he chased her the first couple of times and now she thinks it's a game but it gives me a good chuckle at 3am when I'm all toasty under the duvet 😇

Sorry to hear she didn't have a very good life before coming to you, breaks my heart 🥺

• Heart
Hahahaha they're little shits! My baby knows when I say it's time to go or come inside that I mean business but she'll give my husband the run around.. especially in the middle of the night 😂

I've told him that it's his own fault because he chased her the first couple of times and now she thinks it's a game but it gives me a good chuckle at 3am when I'm all toasty under the duvet 😇

Sorry to hear she didn't have a very good life before coming to you, breaks my heart 🥺
Thanks, yes she's a troubled hound, it's almost like when you have people who have been in prison all their lives, they struggle to adjust to what is "normal life" outside of prison & they offend again to be back inside, if that makes sense.
For 5 years all Tara knew was the racing life, concrete kennels, no real affection, unpleasant people if she never ran well (she's scared of men)
But she has shown good progress in the 8 months we've had her, and she is so intelligent.
We just hope for the day she jumps up onto the settee for a cuddle to be honest.

• Heart