The Royal Family #8

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I liked it too. I know there is controversy regarding it, ie, it is said to have been a replica of the original one so it didn't sparkle like the real one would.

The Spencer tiara Diana wore for her wedding really sparkled.
I wonder why Meghan wasn't loaned that one?

I like the ones that sit lower on the head. Especially if they twinkle magnificently.
Diana Spencer wore the Spencer Tiara; her mother had worn her family Fermoy Tiara to get married. The Spencer tiara is owned by Earl Spencer who can loan it to his sisters and nieces though it more likely to be seen next on another Spencer daughter or the current Countess Spencer. It is not in the Queen's possession so Meghan could not have worn it. The design is very different from the Art Deco style of Queen Mary's Bandeau; I believe that the Spencer Tiara was put together from existing 19th century jewellery so doesn't lie flat but catches the light from different directions, hence the greater sparkle.

Reactions: 7
Diana Spencer wore the Spencer Tiara; her mother had worn her family Fermoy Tiara to get married. The Spencer tiara is owned by Earl Spencer who can loan it to his sisters and nieces though it more likely to be seen next on another Spencer daughter or the current Countess Spencer. It is not in the Queen's possession so Meghan could not have worn it. The design is very different from the Art Deco style of Queen Mary's Bandeau; I believe that the Spencer Tiara was put together from existing 19th century jewellery so doesn't lie flat but catches the light from different directions, hence the greater sparkle.

I just thought with Diana's tragic death that Harry might have been loaned it but if there's a rule that only a Spencer-born woman can wear it, that explains it.

So many rules and restrictions.

Reactions: 4
There is no rule. The Earl can lend it to whoever he wants to. If he decides only a Spencer woman is going to wear it, that’s his decision.
I liked M’s tiara very much. (I also liked the dress but the bad fit and the fact that the hairdresser underestimated the weight of the tiara and the pull of the veil sadly made it a sloppy look.) It bulkier headband style went well with her dress. It did sparkle exactly how you would expect it to. Metall, cut, placement have massive influence on how sparkly a tiara looks and of course lighting. I am very happy we saw so many different tiaras in the weddings. Makes you wonder what hidden treasures there still are - Eugenie’s tiara was not well known and it was unclear if it was dismantled or sold off or given away at one point. I still hope Kate would bring out the Carrier Halo again. It sat beautiful on her hair (same for the Papyrus Lotus). The Lover’s Knot looks as if it will crush her in the ground. But at least it’s worn again and the Diana air around starts to vanish.

Reactions: 6
It wasn’t how much it sparkled but the colour of the sparkle that make people think it was a replica. It sparked in a rainbow but real diamonds are said to have a more grey coloured sparkle. Don’t know hoe accurate that is though.

Reactions: 1
It wasn’t how much it sparkled but the colour of the sparkle that make people think it was a replica. It sparked in a rainbow but real diamonds are said to have a more grey coloured sparkle. Don’t know hoe accurate that is though.
Years of watching Antiques Roadshow :cool: has taught me that in the sunlight the edges of diamonds sparkle in a rainbow way (and look absolutely stunning - copyright Antiques Roadshow) and It’s the middle of the diamonds that are duller in sparkle (if a diamond can ever be said to be dull).

Edit:

seems the Antique Roadshow was right

The way that diamonds reflect light is unique: Inside the stone, a high-quality diamond will sparkle gray and white — known as “brilliance” — and throw off flashes of color called “fire.”

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
I know there is controversy regarding it, ie, it is said to have been a replica of the original one so it didn't sparkle like the real one would.
It would make no sense for her to be loaned a replica, so I don’t believe this rumour

It would make no sense for her to be loaned a replica, so I don’t believe this rumour
I liked it. Replica or real.
Loved it.
I even liked her dress.
Seems I am in the minority.

I also dislike the Diana and Fergie engagement rings.
I think Im in the minority there, too.

I liked it. Replica or real.
Loved it.
I even liked her dress.
Seems I am in the minority.

I also dislike the Diana and Fergie engagement rings.
I think Im in the minority there, too.
I think if her dress was fitted better I would have liked the simplicity of it. If her hair was a bit bigger and a bit neater I think it would have been better. Overall I didn’t hate it but it missed the mark.
I think a lot of us dislike Diana’s engagement ring, especially on the last few pages of the last thread. Far too gaudy and 80s for me. Not familiar with Fergie’s engagement ring so will have to look it up.

Reactions: 3
I think if her dress was fitted better I would have liked the simplicity of it. If her hair was a bit bigger and a bit neater I think it would have been better. Overall I didn’t hate it but it missed the mark.
I think a lot of us dislike Diana’s engagement ring, especially on the last few pages of the last thread. Far too gaudy and 80s for me. Not familiar with Fergie’s engagement ring so will have to look it up.
There is a picture of Fergies ring in the previous thread I think. I remember I liked it at the time, but I was only 12, I think! Its a ruby surrounded by pointy diamonds. Looking back, it does look like an Elizabeth Duke Special!

There is a picture of Fergies ring in the previous thread I think. I remember I liked it at the time, but I was only 12, I think! Its a ruby surrounded by pointy diamonds. Looking back, it does look like an Elizabeth Duke Special!
Is it me or does Fergie’s, Eugénie’s and Princess Margaret’s rings all look very similar? I can’t find a great photo of Margaret’s but they all seem to be Ruby in the middle and diamonds around it.

I always thought rubies in engagement/wedding/eternity rings were supposed to be bad luck.

I suppose with the Fergie and Diana ones that style of ring was the fashion then.
A huge stone circled by smaller ones.

Is it me or does Fergie’s, Eugénie’s and Princess Margaret’s rings all look very similar? I can’t find a great photo of Margaret’s but they all seem to be Ruby in the middle and diamonds around it.
this shows Princess Margaret’s engagement ring

In the language of gems apparently, rubies are considered the king of gems and symbolise love, passion, energy and success.
I always thought Pearls were a no-no for engagement rings as pearls are for tears and opals unlucky to wear if you are not born in October when it’s your birthstone.

I always thought rubies in engagement/wedding/eternity rings were supposed to be bad luck.

I suppose with the Fergie and Diana ones that style of ring was the fashion then.
A huge stone circled by smaller ones.
According to this

Among European royalty and the upper classes, rubies were thought to guarantee good health, wealth, wisdom, and success in love. They’ve became some of the most sought-after gems.

In the language of gems apparently, rubies are considered the king of gems and symbolise love, passion, energy and success.
I always thought Pearls were a no-no for engagement rings as pearls are for tears and opals unlucky to wear if you are not born in October when it’s your birthstone.

According to this

Among European royalty and the upper classes, rubies were thought to guarantee good health, wealth, wisdom, and success in love. They’ve became some of the most sought-after gems.
I don’t believe that’s what Margaret’s ring is like because in the photo shoot for their engagement it looks more like a Ruby in the middle with diamonds around the ruby? I can’t get a very clear photo though. In that image it looks like their are two rubies next to the main one.
1DBA3FCF-8D8C-4A90-BC93-6984A17DA8CF.jpeg

Sounds like the kind of thing you would win in a funfair at the cocount shy, rainbow sparkle spells tatt to me.

I think with Kates ring its not the ring itself but the meaning behind it all - giving her a ring from a failed marriage where his dad didn't stop cheating and his mother was very unhappy is a bit weird....

Reactions: 14

According to this

I’d not seen P Margaret’s ring before. It’s very unusual. I’d imagine it very difficult to buy for her as I’d have thought she’d have expected the best. Can’t be easy marrying into the RF knowing they have the finest jewelry and having to buy an engagement ring the world sees.

Reactions: 2
I think with Kates ring its not the ring itself but the meaning behind it all - giving her a ring from a failed marriage where his dad didn't stop cheating and his mother was very unhappy is a bit weird....
Totally agree that is a bit part of why its so off but also that women like to choose their engagment rings and it would have been more appropriate if she had some input into her ring and received Diana's ring as a dress ring that she could wear with other Royal jewellery .

Reactions: 4
I just thought with Diana's tragic death that Harry might have been loaned it but if there's a rule that only a Spencer-born woman can wear it, that explains it.

So many rules and restrictions.
Personally, I think it would be daft, if not slightly frowned upon, to loan a tiara from your MIL’s family when you’re marrying into the RF, who have some of the most spectacular jewels in the world. Imagine the column inches generated from Meghan not wearing something from the Royal vault, forced to ask Earl Spencer to wear their family tiara etc etc 😄

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Yes agree. It's not just the ring but the symbolism. We know what happened to the last woman who was given it as an engagement ring, and we know how unhappy the marriage was. He could have given it to her as a memento of his mother, or, as Harry did, take something of his mothers that she loved and incorporated it into a new engagement ring. Also, everyone in the world knows it was not hers first.

meghan's tiara was beautiful but the way her dress fit made me not love her wedding look. it grew on me gradually after and i like it a lot more now

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.