The Royal Family #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can quite believe that the institution and establishment is toxic, quote apart from the family. Elizabeth and Philip completely screwed their children up between them though Edward seems to have improved since his early married days. Sitting in an aeroplane coming back from abroad in an emergency and not knowing whether either his wife or child or both would be alive when he landed must have led to a lot of thinking. Incidentally, Sophie was put in further danger because security delayed calling for an ambulance when she asked for one to be called. Anne seems to have come out of it the best of the children due to her personality and probably being Philip's favourite, though being Elizabeth's favourite didn't help Andrew. At least the Phillips, Wessex and York grandchildren seem to have emerged relatively OK.

With regard to the institution, we don't really know what goes on with all the aristocratic senior staff and servants. I can quite believe that they have a lot to do with the way things are run and most of the royals have to go along with it. Philip notoriously had problems with the Palace establishment in the 50s who saw him as an outsider, too foreign, too poor, and with Nazi in-laws, despite his own war record and those of his uncle and mother. Elizabeth didn't back him which caused a lot of problems in their marriage.

Although the BRF have their own money and aren't wholly dependent on state support, I'm reminded of the problems the Japanese Imperial Family has with their own establishment, the Japanese Imperial Agency. The JIA basically runs their lives, dictating their activities, their official clothes, their every move, even inside the palace. The current Empress Masako was driven to a breakdown when Crown Princess by the JIA, despite Naruhito's attempts at protection. Very similar happened to Empress Emerita Michiko when Crown Princess though bullying by her mother-in-law was additional. In both of these cases, though race didn't come into it, the women were outsiders and not approved of by the JIA, not being either minor royals or from noble families, and both being ordinary Japanese women in a love match. The Imperial Family don't have money of their own and so are at the beck and call of the JIA who administer the grant money received from the state.

When Oprah asked whether the Queen could surely do what she wanted, Harry's face was interesting, particularly after he had said that his grandmother has spoken to 'her advisors' before he was told that they couldn't come to Sandringham. I suspect that the palace establishment has a lot more say in what the royals do than any of us realise.
The Japanese Household Agency is straight up nuts, like actually insanely nuts. Utterly crazy. Nothing compares to them.
The nuttiest bit though is that they were introduced by the US Americans after WWII as part of their "clean up/reform" or whatever they called it.
They created a monster and why they don't abolish the JHA and let girls inherit (something that used to be normal!!!) is beyond me.

Edit: I've written about this a few times, the Establishment is definitely a whole cog machine and you can't easily cross them.
Even Liz is below the Establishment, which protects the Crown. Not the monarch, but the Crown and institution and status quo as such.
If Liz doesn't tow the line, she's written off and that's that.
You don't anger the beast that is the Establishment, that's for sure. (establishment is a mix of civil servants, aristos, clergy, military etc)

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I can quite believe that the institution and establishment is toxic, quote apart from the family. Elizabeth and Philip completely screwed their children up between them though Edward seems to have improved since his early married days. Sitting in an aeroplane coming back from abroad in an emergency and not knowing whether either his wife or child or both would be alive when he landed must have led to a lot of thinking. Incidentally, Sophie was put in further danger because security delayed calling for an ambulance when she asked for one to be called. Anne seems to have come out of it the best of the children due to her personality and probably being Philip's favourite, though being Elizabeth's favourite didn't help Andrew. At least the Phillips, Wessex and York grandchildren seem to have emerged relatively OK.

With regard to the institution, we don't really know what goes on with all the aristocratic senior staff and servants. I can quite believe that they have a lot to do with the way things are run and most of the royals have to go along with it. Philip notoriously had problems with the Palace establishment in the 50s who saw him as an outsider, too foreign, too poor, and with Nazi in-laws, despite his own war record and those of his uncle and mother. Elizabeth didn't back him which caused a lot of problems in their marriage.

Although the BRF have their own money and aren't wholly dependent on state support, I'm reminded of the problems the Japanese Imperial Family has with their own establishment, the Japanese Imperial Agency. The JIA basically runs their lives, dictating their activities, their official clothes, their every move, even inside the palace. The current Empress Masako was driven to a breakdown when Crown Princess by the JIA, despite Naruhito's attempts at protection. Very similar happened to Empress Emerita Michiko when Crown Princess though bullying by her mother-in-law was additional. In both of these cases, though race didn't come into it, the women were outsiders and not approved of by the JIA, not being either minor royals or from noble families, and both being ordinary Japanese women in a love match. The Imperial Family don't have money of their own and so are at the beck and call of the JIA who administer the grant money received from the state.

When Oprah asked whether the Queen could surely do what she wanted, Harry's face was interesting, particularly after he had said that his grandmother has spoken to 'her advisors' before he was told that they couldn't come to Sandringham. I suspect that the palace establishment has a lot more say in what the royals do than any of us realise.
I don’t get the point of the Japanese Imperial Family, they have no real role at all and no freedom. I mean if the women marry a non Royal (which is likely because after the war they cut out most the Royals) then they ‘leave the family’. Plus they are only allowed to wear pearls and dress in a very conservative way that ages the women so much.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
I don’t get the point of the Japanese Imperial Family, they have no real role at all and no freedom. I mean if the women marry a non Royal (which is likely because after the war they cut out most the Royals) then they ‘leave the family’. Plus they are only allowed to wear pearls and dress in a very conservative way that ages the women so much.
And only white diamonds! And the dressing custom is stuck in the 1950s. They're not even allowed to pierce their ears, as that "besmirches" their bodies.
And when you look at pics from way back, ca. before WWII you see interesting jewellery, colourful stones and beautiful designs.
Now all their dresses and jewellery look like carbon copies of one thing.
It's sad, bewildering and very alien.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Genuine question ; why do they need security if they’re stepping back from ‘public’ life?

Reactions: 23
Genuine question ; why do they need security if they’re stepping back from ‘public’ life?
Anyone who lives in a house of that value is at a big risk of break ins and being harmed whilst they are burgled even if they aren’t famous. I guess coupled with being household names worldwide that risk is increased

LOL ‘Meghan and Harry interview’ when it’s Meghan just moaning on and on and Harry just sat there like furniture.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
And only white diamonds! And the dressing custom is stuck in the 1950s. They're not even allowed to pierce their ears, as that "besmirches" their bodies.
And when you look at pics from way back, ca. before WWII you see interesting jewellery, colourful stones and beautiful designs.
Now all their dresses and jewellery look like carbon copies of one thing.
It's sad, bewildering and very alien.
Princess [Hisako] Takamado often appears at foreign royal affairs as a Japanese Imperial representative and she gets to mix up her colours and jewellery. She's quite away from the main line, roughly equivalent to the Duchess of Kent or Gloucester. The minor lines seem to have a little more leeway with their jewels and clothes, even in Japan.

Princess Takamado

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
I always find the relationship between him and William interesting. Me and my younger sister were roughly the same age as they were when our mum died (we were a year younger then them both). We were very close but what strained our relationship was that I felt I had to behave a certain way, be the "adult" and get on with stuff whereas my sister seemed to be able to grieve and act out in ways that I wanted to. We are close now but for years we were quite distant and even estranged for a few years. I wonder if Will has some resentment that Harry can behave like this and act on his anger but William has to behave as he is online to the throne.

Im doing what I hate others doing (armchair psychology) 😂

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 39
Amongst other reasons, religious. They are the oldest continuously ruling family in the world and are believed to be descended from the gods. Naruhito's grandfather was a god himself until forced to become a mere mortal with defeat in WW2. Naruhito and other members of the family have important roles to play in the Shinto religion. Think of him as Shinto's equivalent of the Pope though more sacred in himself 😄.

Reactions: 5
Hopefully this interview starts the beginning of the end of this disgusting institution. Sooner we have a referendum to rid ourselves of the royal family and have a second elected political chamber the better.

Reactions: 29
Princess [Hisako] Takamado often appears at foreign royal affairs as a Japanese Imperial representative and she gets to mix up her colours and jewellery. She's quite away from the main line, roughly equivalent to the Duchess of Kent or Gloucester. The minor lines seem to have a little more leeway with their jewels and clothes, even in Japan.
That's definitely the "secret", being further away from the throne.
They are really oppressive.

The Windsors and that institution are damaged for sure, but they've got nothing compared to the Saudis or the Japanese (and who knows who else, I assume a number of these dynasties and institutions are quite... restrictive and oppressive..).

Reactions: 6
That's definitely the "secret", being further away from the throne.
They are really oppressive.

The Windsors and that institution are damaged for sure, but they've got nothing compared to the Saudis or the Japanese (and who knows who else, I assume a number of these dynasties and institutions are quite... restrictive and oppressive..).
Dubai? The UN are saying that they still haven't had proof of life for Princess Latifa (to say nothing of Princess Shamsa who disappeared from view twenty years ago).

• Sad
Reactions: 5
Dubai? The UN are saying that they still haven't had proof of life for Princess Latifa (to say nothing of Princess Shamsa who disappeared from view twenty years ago).
In my mind I lumped them together with the Saudis 🙈
Though obvs I know they are different houses with their own respective territories!

Reactions: 4
Amongst other reasons, religious. They are the oldest continuously ruling family in the world and are believed to be descended from the gods. Naruhito's grandfather was a god himself until forced to become a mere mortal with defeat in WW2. Naruhito and other members of the family have important roles to play in the Shinto religion. Think of him as Shinto's equivalent of the Pope though more sacred in himself 😄.
Ah I didn’t realise the religious aspect, that makes sense.

Watching the Oprah interview is it me or does Harry’s suit not fit him? Also they both have a habit of saying ‘right?’ after every sentence or so and it’s starting to bug me 😂

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.