Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Boring Monday

VIP Member
im not sure if she had any say in it, her Granddaughter Margaret was married and sent to Scotland at age 13 to marry a 31 year old. She didn't seem to postpone the match or maybe didn't have much of a say.
I think that if girls had started their periods, by and large they were ‘marriageable’. I think for Arthur and Catherine it was more waiting for Arthur to be old enough to be considered old enough to be married, rather than Catherine.

Spid

VIP Member
Does anyone listen to Jam Session on The Ringer network? They had a good bit on the coronation this week

Eirawen

VIP Member
[QUOTE="regularvoltaire, 📯
The St Diana lot will never be convinced, but I will always believe that they were stupidly forced together and that never would have worked. He loved Camilla, was sent away cos she ‘wasn’t suitable’, she realised that and married elsewhere to a very dashing man, who could blame her? Diana played away too, many times and with married men.
It was all such a shame that QETQM masterminded a stupid plan in the age of debutantes.
I am glad QC has had the ‘consort’ title dropped. She has put her head above the parapet marrying Charles and has shown herself to be an intelligent and kind woman.
[/QUOTE]
Debutantes? In the 1980' s ?,They had them banned from the Royal Court in the 50's.

hannah123

VIP Member
On the topic of Camilla her PR really need to calm down, even as a royalist it’s making me cringe, it’s not gonna work on people who hate her, it’s just making them dislike them both more. They had a segment I think on Lorraine about her being a fashion queen and reporters on Sky saying Diana respected Camillas discretion and loyalty. Considering the approach they seemed to take for years was to slowly work her in and have her do her duty to win respect, it’s weird they’re now going full steam ramming her down people’s throats. It must kill Charles that even after all this effort, time and money spent on PR a lot of people still don’t like her.

Perspicacia Tick

Chatty Member
Yeah, most of the childhood betrothals were mainly for dynastic purposes and to make sure no one else got in first.
Yes, I suppose even if they didn't have the moral concerns we do now about very young girls having sex/getting pregnant. Childbirth was so fraught with danger back then they must have been very aware that young teens (and indeed older mothers - over 30 😬) had a much higher risk of complications than those in their late teens/early twenties. That's even before you consider the risks of infection etc

Interestingly Katherine of Aragon and Prince Arthur were technically married when they were 13/14 but she wasn't sent over to England until they were 15/16 and considered old enough for a 'conjugal' relationship. I wonder if Margaret had any say in that decision.

elliebee27

VIP Member
I think the rumor is going round because there was talk she was going to wear flowers at the wedding instead.

I could see one of those Tudor-esque Jane Taylor floral headbands.

Such a bummer but I understand it's all about optics which is silly.

Mrs Fluff

VIP Member
Spot on. Margaret, Andrew, Harry all having issues. Must be weird being born into a life where you're effectively public property from both. Saying that they know no different. Must get incredibly stressful to marry in. Linley, Mark Phillips, Diana, Fergie. For all their privilege and not being tied to 9-5, must be incredibly weird not to be able to pop down the corner shop etc, without it being an 'issue'. At least celebs can fade into obscurity if they decide that's what they want in life.
*birth, not both*

Eirawen

VIP Member
I think the main problem was that in the 10 years or more he’d been on the marriage market Charles had stepped out with, proposed to and been rejected by a goodly number of acceptable gels. The pickings were getting slim and the situation some what urgent. On paper Diana was ideal, it was just in the actuality it all went a bit pear-shaped.
I agree they were a total mismatch he loved the countryside she didn't he liked classical music she liked pop, as he seemed a bit of an upper class bimbo.
---
How? (genuine question)
Just leaving it

WatermelonSugar22

VIP Member
Lord Ivor Mountbatten of the Milford Haven Mountbattens is in a same sex marriage. He was 'given away' by his former wife Penny Mountbatten (the other one!), Lady Ivor Mountbatten. It would be a bit confusing to take his name or similar, two Lord Ivors, two Lord Smiths, two Lady Marys, etc.
Thanks for replying! That’s interesting. Okay, so he didn’t take his name but also doesn’t get any form of title? I wonder if that will remain the standard - seems a bit mean!
I also wonder what will be the case with heirs - in this case Ivar already had three kids. It will be super interesting to see what modernisation happens in this area now that it’s all legal.