Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Boring Monday

VIP Member
They really need to lock him up in a far away country estate. “Leaks” are a dangerous ground to tread on though. While I am sure PA was referred to in a rather unpleasant way when talking out of earshot, I doubt they would have used this particular slur. Maybe in the last 5 years, but there is at least a bucket full of British slurs I think would have showed up before this one. Could be mistaken of course.

Little tidbit on the children marriage practices in aristocratic circles in the past- thankfully most meant basically an engagement or a marriage ceremony with a or both stand in(s) till the parties were older. It would still be referred to as a real marriage between the betrothed even though they didn’t take part and no consummation would happen.
14 and younger wasn’t unusual but also not exactly the norm. Often the children also stayed in their home till they were old enough. Not saying there aren’t horrific examples but those “child marriages” aren’t necessarily what we mean if we use this phrase today.
Yeah, most of the childhood betrothals were mainly for dynastic purposes and to make sure no one else got in first.

Reactions: 2

Mrs Fluff

VIP Member
Me too! I’ve wondered this before, it must have some serious organisation system. I remember in lockdown they were at Anmer Hall and she seemed to be wearing a lot of stuff on video calls from the really early years of her royal life which made me think she must store some stuff there too
Must be in KP, a four bed family home wouldn't cope. Unless it's in the Queen's old place.

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
coronation tailors: Fit For A King bbc2 at 9pm.

Was a insightful programme into the making of the coronation uniforms for the servicemen & women, made even better with the handsome Patrick Grant presenting it!
Did it show the Beefeaters/ Yeoman Guard getting their new uniforms? I saw quite a bit on social media and they all seemed so proud.

blahblahboring

VIP Member
Love boden. Not cheap but lasts so well. I’m so glad they ship to Australia!

I really like Boden and have bought a lot of it second hand. Currently in a cozy black Boden dress. So soft. It's gone through 2 different owners already and looks brand new! (I buy a lot of my clothes second hand now online, I just feel better about it and I can get good stuff for less.)

jkroche95

VIP Member
I think she actually had Henry VII when she was 13 😬 I think her being pregnant so young was controversial even at the time. She certainly wasn't physically mature as it was commented on by several contemporary reports, had a horrific labour and wasn't able to have any more children.
That's why i'm surprised she allowed her granddaughter to go at marry King James of Scotland at 13.. he was 31!

hannah123

VIP Member
I do love how she seems to have kept all these dresses hanging up in her wardrobe! They must look amazing :)
She wore some gloves a few months ago that she’d worn pre marriage to some military graduation of Williams, they must have been at least 15 years old which is mad. I guess if they’re expensive and good quality there’s no point getting rid.

Multi-21

VIP Member
I've never seen a child in the UK in shorts and knee socks? Is it a thing for uniforms or something?
I think they're taking the blue theme a bit far now as well and I love blue. I suppose at least William didn't have a blue tie.
No it’s not a common thing in the U.K. as far as I’ve ever seen either. Might as well have put some trousers on him since the top half is a jacket with shirt and tie.
Charlotte’s outfit would have been nice with some neutral tights instead of blue.
The whole Wales family could vary their colour palette a bit.
I don’t mind the red nails and agree it was probably a generational thing respected while the Queen was alive but not a rule/protocol as such.

Hurles762

HMTQ is given too much credit I reckon. People confuse longevity with actually being a good monarch. She was irresponsible in not dealing with some difficult issues, leaving all the mess for Charles to deal with while basking in admiration for herself. Not amongst my favourite royals by a long shot. Much prefer Charles actually, and Anne obviously.
She was a good monarch up until 2012/2013 but the last decade was a pure nostalgia show

neroli

VIP Member
What I took away from Spare is Harrys biggest grievance with his family is he was born 2nd, full stop. A lot of the scenarios he created in his head, like having one less sausage than the older and bigger William, or having the smaller bedroom, it was him that created those into something more than they were rather than just asking for another sausage.
I agree. He appears to enjoy making a drama out of the "not being special" concept. Despite being oh so vulnerable and sensitive. His mother was a spare in her marriage and he is the spare in the progeny from that set up.

Lammington

VIP Member
Katy Perry, Lionel Richie and Andre Bocelli are headliners? What connection do they have to the British Royal Family and the UK?
Apparently Katy Perry is an ambassador for the British Asian Trust, so does actually have a connection to Charles.

With that said, I don't think there needs to be a connection for the performers, but the fact that we feel like there should be underlines the lack of clear theme or real point to the concert. Is it to celebrate the coronation? Then I'd expect connection to the event from the performers. Is it to provide a bit of a way to give back to the populace? Then I'd expect them to pay for bigger or more current names. I don't feel like there's a clear reason other than it seemed to go down well for the jubilee.

Scarlett O' Hara

VIP Member
But the whole thing isn’t modern by its own existence. If we are having it I rather we properly have it with all the pomp and ceremony - why half arse it.
Because the world has changed since 1953 and the Palace or King Charles himself and decided that things need to be 'more inclusive'.

Reraciara

Chatty Member
I always got the impression that Charles wants to modernise the Royals but anything he does during his term William will un-do as he more traditional like the Queen. I also think that when he becomes king he'll be even more work-shy than he is now and now he has control of the Duchy i'd be interested to see how he'll deal with that.

Also, while i know Charles isn't in the best shape, the Queen did live into her 90's so we could be looking at Charles being King for 20 or so years.

Lammington

VIP Member
I'd be shocked if there hasn't been at least an offer or three. The question would be which outlets, to me. Given his not likely being privy to any current information, I can see it going in two directions. Some outlets would be looking for his name alone and have actual commentators to pick up the slack. Some outlets, however, would be looking for sound bites and some tabloid headlines given Harry has shown he's happy to divulge private information of his family, and speculate on their thoughts, actions, and motivations.

Without a ghost writer, an editor, and a legal team to clean up any disclosures, there'd be a chance of catching some messy tabloid moments if they left enough moments of silence to fill.

I hope like hell his PR advisors would see those same possible issues.

thegirlscout

VIP Member
They do when appropriate. They'd look ridiculous wearing tiaras and ballgowns opening a hospital.
I meant on a totally superficial level. Balding hair, bad teeth.
If we have to have them I want Jetsun Pema, Grace Kelly, young Princess Margaret levels of glamour.

Great_Kate

VIP Member
To be fair - the stuff she wears outside the job or her outdoorsy stuff is basically the same ever since people started having a closer look. Her personal style hasn’t really changed.
But having the same piece in several colours or similar pieces in the same colour (so you wonder if it’s the same) is so wasteful. Especially because often one gets repeated and the other ones never show up again.

Lammington

VIP Member
I mean, the royals and aristocrats were French for quite a while. For the current lot I'd have gone with a German dish, personally.