Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Rosie glow

VIP Member
It would probably be seen as quite disrespectfUl to have shops etc open on the day of the funeral itself.
Not all shops will close I'm pretty sure supermarkets will stay open observing the 2 minute silence at 12pm on the day. As I've said in pervious post the the queen mother died shops stayed open but my company allowed staff 2 hours off to watch the funeral. I remember the staff that stayed in store brought I a small portable TV to watch it on.

Will pop out at lunchtime and buy a few newspapers to put away and keep
If there's any left I've sold loads this morning

Reactions: 2

Pollyanna263

VIP Member
I would be more interested to know if there was any conversation about their other grandchildren going up to Balmoral. We have to assume Louise and James didn’t go as they’d have been with Edward and Sophie but what about Peter, Zara, Beatrice and Eugenie? I guess all going with partners it would then be quite a crowd showing up.
It was reported that Zara, Beatrice and Eugenie went up yesterday but I don’t know if it’s just them or spouses / children too, and if anyone else also went.

gossipgal21

VIP Member
I think if I remember from the article about it all, the funeral is classed as a national mourning day but not a bank holiday? And it’s down to the discretion of companies whether to close or not.

Not sure though, I guess it will be explained when the date is announced? 🤷‍♀️

Rosie glow

VIP Member
I do find the cancellation of comedy and sporting events a bit extreme. That's not what the Queen would have wanted. She would have wanted people to continue on with life and having fun.
We are going to a live music show tomorrow as far as I'm aware is going ahead as you say life must carry on.

LennyBriscoe

VIP Member
It's crazy how things are moving so quickly, title, names changes, social media, etc. The staff who have worked so closely with the RF must be working so hard and feeling the pain of losing her

And there's me, who has seen the Queen once in person, couldn't do a days work today. Clued to the TV all day.
If you don’t mind sharing, where did you see the Queen? I’d love to hear stories from folks who have seen her in person or met her

Ally Pally

VIP Member
Gordon Brown looks bloody awful and he seems to be swaying quite a bit too.
Boris Johnson looks as shifty as ever!

Pickminy

If the funeral is a Monday, would it be classed as a bank holiday? I work Mondays but would really like to watch it

Ally Pally

VIP Member
Because that’s how traditionally people show their respects. I don’t disagree with your reasoning, however can you imagine how it would be if no one took flowers or visited the places they are. This is just a public show of grief.
Someone made a suggestion of planting a tree which I thought was very fitting.

It looks like a very slow police chase on Police, camera, Action
Television or news paper no doubt 🙄

LoopyLou47

VIP Member
It'll be interesting what they do with the last episode of The Crown. I know they've said that it will end with the Queen Mother's death, which makes an amount of sense, but I was thinking just now that I wonder if they'll fade that into a "what happened next" text ending or something.

And, semi-related, I've been saying for a while that after The Crown is done they should go a bit further back in time. But Victoria has been done a lot. The Regency has been done a lot. The Tudors has been done excessively. So keep going further. A series which opens with the death of Edward the Confessor in January 1066. The first series ends with William The Bastard's coronation the following Christmas. Then you carry on and have ~1000 years of history before it becomes awkward again, and hopefully by the time you reach the Wars Of The Roses it's been a while since the last Tudor thing.
Also Last Kingdom is Alfred The Great through Ethelred etc, The White Queen is Edward vi and Richard iii. Maybe the rest are too boring? You could do between Victoria and Elizabeth II. That would be interesting as it would cover The Royals during WWI and II.