Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

LoopyLou47

VIP Member
That’s what the Windsor genes do … they lull them into a false sense of security and then in mid-20’s if they’re lucky, earlier of not, they just trample everything else underfoot. Hairline recedes, eyes inch closer together, ears droop downwards … the Windsor Whammy.
Even the Spencer genes were trampled to death by the Windsors!

Reactions: 1

Mrs Fluff

VIP Member
Her dad is a retired sales director for an importer of industrial tyres and rubber goods which I’m not sure is the same as a care salesman? It was a pretty middle class upbringing though. I would hope Sophie and Edward have prepared their children for life outside of the royal bubble and that their lives won’t be anything like their cousins.
Interestingly, Sophie’s godfather was the father of Paul Bettany.
No, you're probably right, I just thought it had to do with cars. Or maybe the Mail (during their 'courtship') downgraded him

LoopyLou47

VIP Member
They could have stayed in Balmoral, it was more leadership and engagement from the Queen ppl wanted but they hid under the guise of wanting to support W&H but I guarantee you that they probably wouldn't even have noticed HM wasn't there
Yes that may be true. They were probably closer to their nanny than HM or DoE, but maybe the Royals felt that being around family was better than being around basically, staff. There was no reason to bring the boys back to London, I agree. But it all boils down to the institution being g far more important than the individual members.

VioletButterfly

VIP Member
Unattractive genes almost always triumph over attractive ones for some reason. Occasionally people bypass this when they’re mixed race (I’ve seen some stunning people come from scary looking parents) but every single person I’ve met with one ugly and one good looking parent usually ends up looking like the less attractive one over time even if they were cute as kids. Doesn’t make any Darwinian sense but there it is. You see it when ugly billionaires marry supermodels, and their kids almost always turn out like the billionaire. Luckily daddy has the cash to fix things up (I.e.: Ivanka Trump, Beckham kids).
Tiffany Trump, oh God yes. But ivanka was a beautiful child, her Mother was naturally stunning. I’m willing to bet she’s never had to have anything changed. Could have been a very successful child model.

TYL159

Chatty Member
Don’t forget as well, that while Lady Sarah isn’t an immediate royal, she is still the granddaughter of a King and will more than likely have trusts and inheritances from the Queen mum at least.

Zara, Peter and their families live on the Gatcombe Estate of their mum.
So what, so do millions of others inherit wealth in this country, many far more than she did.

Gatcombe Estate is also privately owned and not part of the Crown Estate

Without the royal association they wouldn't be living in multimillion pound properties. Do they receive medical care via the royal association too? If not, they most likely get private healthcare with ease anyway.
Yes they would, they live in private properties, not Crown Estate and not State owned. Millions of people also have private healthcare. Unless you have a leftwing ideological agenda against all inherited wealth and private healthcare, again, so what?

If there is one thing life has taught me, it’s that those who have The most (in monetary/power terms … and this does not just apply to the RF) pay the least.
Certainly not true in income tax terms or inheritance tax

TYL159

Chatty Member
I agree no way did people get into one of the top Universities in the world which the grades he got.
Charles got B and C grade A levels and a second class degree not a third so was more than capable of doing the Cambridge history course.

People regularly got into Cambridge with A B C in the 1960s or lower as barely anyone got straight A grades before grade inflation

TYL159

Chatty Member
I'd say all of the professions you mentioned, until about 200 years or so ago were made up by the aristocracy. And as we know from the Victorian era, morality often meant ( and still does, often in religious communities) outwards showing of moral purity but secret depravity.
Not necessarily, Thomas Wolsey became Lord High Chancellor of England and was son of a butcher. Aristocrats too were generally either in the army or the church if they were not the main heir, not doctors or lawyers or merchants

Tangent Tiger

VIP Member
TBH I doubt the Queen or any of the Royal Family could have offered much emotional support to W&H after Dianas death. Maybe Sarah Ferguson, but I very much doubt the Queen or Prince Charles would be in hugging mode.
Someone described the RF as being like rabbits caught in the headlights, didn't know what to do. It might have even been Piers Morgan?? I'll have to google that

Pulltheotherone

VIP Member
I remember vividly when the Queen finally addressed the nation.
We had a tiny TV in our conference room at work and we all crowded in there to watch in stunned silence.
Bizarre.

SpindleWhorl

VIP Member
They're a cold family for sure, but at least they would have been in familiar surroundings, secluded from everyone and in the countryside either than being paraded around while grown adults wept and wailed at them.
They could have stayed in Balmoral, it was more leadership and engagement from the Queen ppl wanted but they hid under the guise of wanting to support W&H but I guarantee you that they probably wouldn't even have noticed HM wasn't there

TYL159

Chatty Member
Why are you so convinced that a US style system is most likely? I don't buy the befitting your status in the world idea. The UK isn't the big Imperial power that it once was. It would be much easier for the UK to shift from having a monarch to having a ceremonial president.

Ya Putin is well known for his commitment to democracy!
Not just a US style system, a French system too. The UK, US and France are the 3 major western powers ie in the G7, G20 groups of largest economies and permanent members of the UN Security Council with nuclear weapons.

To reflect that we would therefore have a powerful imperial Presidency as they have to reflect that power and status. There is no point replacing a globally recognised ceremonial head of state as we have now with a ceremonial President nobody outside the UK has heard of, so no, a republic would require the powerful imperial Presidency that befits our global status with war making and legal powers too.

TYL159

Chatty Member
Andrews security isn't paid by The Qyeen though. Its coming out of the Met Police budget, when they don't have resources to investigate crime.
The Met police don't even bother to investigate most burglaries now, the idea the Special Branch budget for including Andrew who as a son of the monarch will still always be a potential terrorist target whether doing royal duties or not would make any difference is not realistic

I actually do think there is wider question about inheritance tax and whether the way it’s structured is fair when younger people have to pay ludicrous amount for university, schools are underfunded etc. I can see that the head of state needs some form of finance. But I do question (with the economic situation the way it is) why we’re paying for one family to be able to afford several houses and that’s per generation. Everyone is making economies, are we now paying too much for them? It’s a fair question. Particularly in light of the two disastrous Caribbean tours, do the royal family still provide value for money? Idk if they are a good asset abroad anymore (it would appear that they are T on some countries). Why aren’t they doing more at home? I used to be fairly ambivalent about them (although I loved the gossip/soap opera element of their existence). Now they seem increasingly to me to represent a life of privilege and I really struggle to understand why we need them (or so many of them). I think they would help themselves a lot if they downsized massively, the ones that were left did more (a lot more) and they got rid of the titles and all of the flummery (bowing, curtsying etc). They might start to seem more part of modern life that way. I just feel they haven’t accepted or understood the realities of modern life. I don’t necessarily expect them to share the realities but I think they aren’t doing any of the right things to show they can be part of modern life.

Sorry I hadn’t realised I felt so strongly about all this! To think I just started enjoying this thread for the gossip. Now I am question the whole structure of the royal family and their role!
Inheritance tax is one of the most unpopular taxes there is, raising it further or lowering the threshold would not go down well. The Crown Estate would still have to pay to maintain and refurbished Crown Estate Properties whether the Royals lived in them or not as they effectively belong to the nation.

The Royal family are one of our biggest assets abroad, globally recognised and in the Caribbean they still drew large crowds despite the negative press here. You can't have a royal family without titles by definition.

Last edited:

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
Not going to lie, I did burst out laughing when I switched on my Twitter yesterday. It was just so random. So random that even if I were a massive William devotee I still would have found it funny in its sheer randomness. We are of course never going to know if it's actually true or not. Can't imagine the Palace releasing a statement about William's bedroom habits.
I'm a supporter of the Royals but like you say, it was just so random that it was funny.

One poster questioned why it wasn't mentioned in the Daily Mail as it was the top trend nearly all day but they really don't write about any old crap (though it seems like) that is trending. Otherwise they'd be writing articles on 'size 10' or 'size 8' whenever Adidas or ASOS have an offer 🤣