The Royal Family #12

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
@TYL159 you mentioned in the previous thread ‘the Queen is known worldwide for her lifetime of service’ and I’m wondering what exactly has she done?

• Heart
Reactions: 13
@TYL159 you mentioned in the previous thread ‘the Queen is known worldwide for her lifetime of service’ and I’m wondering what exactly has she done?
She's head of State of the UK and a number of commonwealth countries.

She represents the nation at key points in our national life. My workplace had a significant anniversary in 2007. She came to our site and looked at the work we do.

She does/did that twice a day for 200 odd days a year.

She also acts as patron for a number of charities.

Most importantly though she keeps out of things and let's other people sort it out.

God save the Queen!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 33

She represents the nation at key points in our national life. My workplace had a significant anniversary in 2007. She came to our site and looked at the work we do.

Most importantly though she keeps out of things and let's other people sort it out.

God save the Queen!
Exactly, the Queen has probably been the longest serving and most scandal free head of state of any head of state serving in the World today and has given a lifetime of service.

Far better than a President Blair or President Johnson republicans want would be. We elect our MPs and PM, our constitutional monarchy however works and the Queen has performed the role perfectly

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Exactly, the Queen has probably been the longest serving and most scandal free head of state of any head of state serving in the World today and has given a lifetime of service.
This is because she is not held to account on election promises nor scrutinised in anywhere near the same way as politicians nor, quite frankly, responsible for anything.
Far better than a President Blair or President Johnson republicans want would be. We elect our MPs and PM, our constitutional monarchy however works and the Queen has performed the role perfectly
You can’t brush aside the idea of a republic because you don’t personally like Tony Blair or Boris Johnson. It’s a bit like saying we should go to witch doctors because some medical professionals are like Harold Shipman. The world doesn’t work that way. It’s not a binary choice.

• Heart
Reactions: 34

God save the Queen!
Yes, and in addition she keeps up morale -
Just look at her speech in early April 2020 when she spoke about the pandemic and said "we will meet again" or think back to when she addressed the children during WW2 that had to be evacuated

She also serves as a role model -
Like when she sat alone at PP's funeral (she was offered an exception from the rules but declined as she said it wasn't fair) and when was isolating alone with him over Christmas, not seeing her family

She demonstrates loyalty and discipline -
I remember her standing on the boat during the cold travel up the Thames during her last jubilee

She reminds people of their values -
When she criticised "people that talk but dont do" before the last climate summit and when she said to get the vaccine and "not just think about yourself but other people"

She provides a kind of national identity -
Her image on the money, her name, her rituals, even just her longevity

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 33
This is because she is not held to account on election promises nor scrutinised in anywhere near the same way as politicians nor, quite frankly, responsible for anything.

You can’t brush aside the idea of a republic because you don’t personally like Tony Blair or Boris Johnson. It’s a bit like saying we should go to witch doctors because some medical professionals are like Harold Shipman. The world doesn’t work that way. It’s not a binary choice.
Oh I can and I always will, I am a diehard monarchist.

If you had an elected President we would get the same Presidents as we had PMs so our last 3 Presidents would have been Johnson, Cameron and Blair. Corbyn might even have beaten May too in a Presidential election in 2017

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Yes, and in addition she keeps up morale -
Just look at her speech in early April 2020 when she spoke about the pandemic and said "we will meet again" or think back to when she addressed the children during WW2 that had to be evacuated

She also serves as a role model -
Like when she sat alone at PP's funeral (she was offered an exception from the rules but declined as she said it wasn't fair) and when was isolating alone with him over Christmas, not seeing her family

She demonstrates loyalty and discipline -
I remember her standing on the boat during the cold travel up the Thames during her last jubilee

She reminds people of their values -
When she criticised "people that talk but dont do" before the last climate summit and when she said to get the vaccine and "not just think about yourself but other people"

She provides a kind of national identity -
Her image on the money, her name, her rituals, even just her longevity
She doesn't keep up my morale. I dont know her.
Nor is she a role model to me. How could she be as our lives are world's apart.

• Heart
Reactions: 29
This isn’t how politics works
It is. France for instance elects its Presidents and has separate appointed PMs by the President from the largest party in Parliament. So under New Labour Blair would have been President and Brown PM, under the Tories Cameron would have been President and Osborne probably PM, now Johnson would be President and Sunak likely PM

Reactions: 2
It is. France for instance elects its Presidents and has separate appointed PMs by the President from the largest party in Parliament. So under New Labour Blair would have been President and Brown PM, under the Tories Cameron would have been President and Osborne probably PM, now Johnson would be President and Sunak likely PM
Political scientists don’t transpose the results of parliamentary elections with first past the post constituency models and say “the exact same outcome would have happened had the same electorate been voting in a presidential system (regardless of which presidential model)”.

Reactions: 5
Like when she sat alone at PP's funeral (she was offered an exception from the rules but declined as she said it wasn't fair)
Everyone else sat two seats apart from the other bubbles and the Queen could have had someone say two seats apart from her, say Prince Charles and Camilla if she wanted. But no, she had the whole two rows of that area clear and it was just her.
Maybe she wanted it like that I don’t know, but when people say she was forced to sit all on her own that isn’t true. She couldn’t have someone sat right next to her but she could have had someone in the same row or the row behind.

But she has the ability to consent to or block new laws?

Reactions: 5
She doesn't keep up my morale. I dont know her.
Nor is she a role model to me. How could she be as our lives are world's apart.
I like TQ very much and I thought her speech at the beginning of Covid was moral boosting. It may not mean anything to you but it does to a lot of people.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Oh the grand of Duke of York
He borrowed 12 million quid
He gave it to some he’d never met
For something he never did.

Reactions: 8
Political scientists don’t transpose the results of parliamentary elections with first past the post constituency models and say “the exact same outcome would have happened had the same electorate been voting in a presidential system (regardless of which presidential model)”.
The candidate who led the best PM polls ie Blair, Cameron and Johnson would almost certainly have won the presidential election as they won the general election

Reactions: 1
It also wouldnt mean anything to a lot of people.
I'm Irish, I live in the republic of Ireland and her speech meant a lot to me even though she is not my Queen. She did a hell of a lot better than the politicians we have here. It was just what I needed to hear at a time when I needed it most. I have respect for her and all the monarchy.

• Heart
  • Sick
Reactions: 35
Everyone else sat two seats apart from the other bubbles and the Queen could have had someone say two seats apart from her, say Prince Charles and Camilla if she wanted. But no, she had the whole two rows of that area clear and it was just her.
Maybe she wanted it like that I don’t know, but when people say she was forced to sit all on her own that isn’t true. She couldn’t have someone sat right next to her but she could have had someone in the same row or the row behind.

But she has the ability to consent to or block new laws?
In theory yes, in practice and by convention she does not use them.

An elected President would use them however and frequently veto legislation passed by Parliament, it would change our system to the US one where very little gets passed, especially if the President and Congress are of different parties.

The US has no gun control and no universal healthcare

Reactions: 2
I'm Irish, I live in the republic of Ireland and her speech meant a lot to me even though she is not my Queen. She did a hell of a lot better than the politicians we have here. It was just what I needed to hear at a time when I needed it most. I have respect for her and all the monarchy.
I think that's why TQ is important. She transcends politics. So whilst you may not like the current party in power or distrust them, when TQ pops up like she did with Covid I think you trust her.

TQ doesn't speak very often to the Nation so when she does, you know it's for major reason.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.