The queen’s jubilee. What are your thoughts & plans?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The brits are it again (Jubilee edition), this time it's a BBC presenter and someone from the British Army explaining why “micks” isn’t an offensive term for Irish people. Seriously lads.. I could do without the tansplaining lmao.

• Wow
Reactions: 1
The brits are it again (Jubilee edition), this time it's a BBC presenter and someone from the British Army explaining why “micks” isn’t an offensive term for Irish people. Seriously lads.. I could do without the tansplaining lmao.

View attachment 1314060
People are too sensitive, it's a term of endearment within the ranks ...so I'm told.

Last edited:

People are too sensitive it's a term of endearment within the ranks ...so I'm told.
Too right people are too sensitive. I mean just look at how defensive some British people can get when the misdeeds of the British empire are mentioned lol. Seems like a touchy subject, no?

Also the whole 'term of endearment' thing just doesn't stand-up. The logic of “We’ve been calling them that for so long, that any racial connotations have wore off” in general that the BBC commentators used seems like something out of a comedy skit tbh.

Reactions: 3
Too right people are too sensitive. I mean just look at how defensive some British people can get when the misdeeds of the British empire are mentioned lol. Seems like a touchy subject, no?

Also the whole 'term of endearment' thing just doesn't stand-up. The logic of “We’ve been calling them that for so long, that any racial connotations have wore off” in general that the BBC commentators used seems like something out of a comedy skit tbh.
No , apparently it's bias against the British to say anything bad ,if their friends don't have a problem with them saying it why should the rest of us take it upon ourselves to see something that's not there and an excuse to complain.

I just don’t agree with it, I find it hypocritical. I wouldn’t take a day off for a religious festival I’m not a member of the community of. I am religious and do celebrate my own religious festivals, but wouldn’t dare do it for Eid for example as I’m not Muslim.
I don't understand this. I (and many others) don't get a choice about whether to take bank holidays off/not. My workplace opens reduced hours and we are all rota'd on to work one per year.

I would much prefer to work them as normal days and keep the holiday allowance, but that's not up to me!

Reactions: 6
I just don’t agree with it, I find it hypocritical. I wouldn’t take a day off for a religious festival I’m not a member of the community of. I am religious and do celebrate my own religious festivals, but wouldn’t dare do it for Eid for example as I’m not Muslim.
it’s not quite the same though is it- my employers don’t shut for Eid, but they have for this.

Skipping parties and jubilee related stuff and instead going to a local Caribbean food festival, much more up my street. The monarchy should die with the Queen, it won’t though sadly

Last edited:
Unpopular opinion, if you don’t want to celebrate the Queens jubilee, fine. But don’t take the bank holiday. Go into work and don’t take the time and a half pay. People really quick to slate the day yet will take all the benefits. (Obviously this goes to people who have the bank holiday off for it)
Interesting opinion, though not one I agree with.

Using the Royal Family as a way to get a day off seems perfectly legitimate to me, given that we pay for them. It might even be more legitimate than atheists not working on Xmas Day.

I would go further and have a specific King/Queen's Day bank holiday each year, as they do in the Netherlands.

Reactions: 6
Unpopular opinion, if you don’t want to celebrate the Queens jubilee, fine. But don’t take the bank holiday. Go into work and don’t take the time and a half pay. People really quick to slate the day yet will take all the benefits. (Obviously this goes to people who have the bank holiday off for it)
When I worked for the civil service we used to get an extra holiday for the Queen's birthday. I gladly took the extra day off and I'm not a Royalist, but I wasn't going to turn down an extra days holiday.
It's an extra bank holiday this year and people can do what they want. I'd rather have family time than go to a street party with my neighbours. I won't be dictated to on how to spend the bank holiday

Reactions: 5
If money wasn't spent on the Royal Family and the Jubilee, then it's very unlikely that the same sum of money would be spent to make things better for the general public. Us little people would not see any benefit .

Reactions: 4
If money wasn't spent on the Royal Family and the Jubilee, then it's very unlikely that the same sum of money would be spent to make things better for the general public. Us little people would not see any benefit .
And that’s what’s wrong about it all.

I find the whole thing crass.

Reactions: 8
Honestly couldn’t care less. Soz Liz but thanks for the two days off 👍🏻
Exactly, I said indifferent in the poll here but my real feelings are just grateful for another day of bank holiday I don't care about the reason.
What I am more annoyed about is the money wasted on all the celebration of the opening of the Elizabeth Line" (also stupid name) on things like brazilian dancers etc,

Reactions: 3
I’m a Republican. But I don’t have anything against the Queen. Actually, as much as I think that there is no place for a monarchy in the UK, the sight of the Queen on the balcony looking so teeny tiny did make me rather sad. I think it’s going to affect the UK quite negatively if / when she passes away.

Surely Charles won’t be nearly as popular as his mother? Her children have certainly let her down. And I don’t like William - pompous prig 🙄.

One thing that strikes me is that the RF is far less popular today than they were at the Golden jubilee.

Trivia - apparently the Queen’s favourite grandchild is Lady Louise, Prince Edward & Sophie’s daughter.
Because of her kind nature and passion for horses.

With respect, I don't think 'if' comes into it.
I came here to comment that , love the optimism about medical advances :ROFLMAO:
I am not a royalist at all, but isn't Charles extremely unpopular? I don't think it is even indifference like with some of the others

The Queen has been such a consistency for the last 70 years. I think the 1950s seem to be a different world , but she was queen then too. The thought of someone else being on the throne seems so alien to me.

Reactions: 2
I wouldn't bet with confidence either way about the monarchy's future once the current Queen is gone.

Reactions: 2