The Naked Doula

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
As PP said it’s not entirely clear, according to speculation her dates would coincide with her being overdue at time. However we definitely know she was waiting for her labour to progress this is the type of dangerous advice Emma Spouts off. Even though her waters had broken 24 hours prior she would have advised no to internal examinations citing its causes infections and so forth. I have no idea how monitoring happens with home births but at some point there was no/lack of heartbeat and the baby was born at hospital with the cord around her neck. 😔💫🤍

In both my pregnancies I was advised by my midwife to monitor the baby through kick counts anything unusual straight to hospital! Imo Emma let her down, any additional checks to keep mum and baby safe were avoided as emma is all pro choice and Lauren’s not exactly the brightest. I assume she was with her monitoring the baby as she was her Doula but what actually happened has been kept completely quiet but what we do know sounds traumatic to say the least!
Yes I would have thought they'd monitor kicks or use a doppler at home to monitor LG. I don't think there is technically anything untoward about avoiding intervention for 24hrs after waters break but there must have been key things missed in this case..in terms of baby movements/ heartbeat rate/ contractions/ meconium in waters? / temperature or something. I mean it's all a bit weird.

Also I find it so annoying that Naked Doula is so anti safety precautions .. Makes me think she didn't bother monitoring anything. I think she really demonises hospitals and maternity care.

My waters went and I was monitored in hospital for my labour but I refused the drip as everything else was normal. I went into labour spontaneously 12 hrs later but the hospital would have picked up if anything was going wrong or downhill. Checking and monitoring is not unnecessary intervention!! Just because you are in hospital doesn't mean you have intervention, but equally just because you are at home, doesn't mean you don't monitor the situation and transfer to hospital if any inkling that sth might be wrong.

Whilst I don't have all the facts and I'm not sure exactly everyone present (just midwife and naked doula!?)and what they did for monitoring etc and how much was avoidable tragedy but I find it hard to think that there were no indications that something was wrong until there was tragically no heart beat. Such unimaginable trauma and loss for LG.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Yes I would have thought they'd monitor kicks or use a doppler at home to monitor LG. I don't think there is technically anything untoward about avoiding intervention for 24hrs after waters break but there must have been key things missed in this case..in terms of baby movements/ heartbeat rate/ contractions/ meconium in waters? / temperature or something. I mean it's all a bit weird.

Also I find it so annoying that Naked Doula is so anti safety precautions .. Makes me think she didn't bother monitoring anything. I think she really demonises hospitals and maternity care.

My waters went and I was monitored in hospital for my labour but I refused the drip as everything else was normal. I went into labour spontaneously 12 hrs later but the hospital would have picked up if anything was going wrong or downhill. Checking and monitoring is not unnecessary intervention!! Just because you are in hospital doesn't mean you have intervention, but equally just because you are at home, doesn't mean you don't monitor the situation and transfer to hospital if any inkling that sth might be wrong.

Whilst I don't have all the facts and I'm not sure exactly everyone present (just midwife and naked doula!?)and what they did for monitoring etc and how much was avoidable tragedy but I find it hard to think that there were no indications that something was wrong until there was tragically no heart beat. Such unimaginable trauma and loss for LG.
Agreed with all of this. Mine went early at 36 weeks and I was induced at 37 (tbh I didn’t realise not having an induction was an option, but don’t say that too loudly or TND will have more fodder for her rhetoric) but my understanding is that waters breaking could cause infection but wouldn’t cause such a devastating outcome - that would be the lack of monitoring or sane healthcare professionals about.

• Heart

Completely Agree with you we don’t know all the in’s and out’s only what’s been reported, but it all seems very odd. I feel as though Emma failed to check & monitor LG correctly. I guess there would be clear signs of the cord being a problem?

I had to go in around my due date my little ones kick counts were unusual she was very still, I was extremely tired & fatigued but so grateful for the hospital “just checking”! They discovered if I wasn’t lying flat on my back her heart rate would dip and take a little longer than they would like to recover. I never stayed so still in my life.

As much as I dislike saying this weight can be a huge factor in the safe arrival too. LG was humongous when pregnant and most likely on a plan which would involve extra intervention.

I am overweight myself so accepted extra Checking and monitoring was necessary towards the end of my pregnancy.

Although I think it’s a stigma fat girls are more likely to need medical intervention I pushed both my babies out naturally no assistance but I also understand why it’s in place a Dr actually said to me I may not be able to push, let’s check in case we need to send you to theatre for assisted labour. I was offended but labour is not easy with or without floppy fanny face & a useless comb 🤭🤣.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I agree with what everyone is saying, and I was only directed to this thread through LG. But one thing that niggles at me is, if she was genuinely culpable, why has LG not fully thrown her under the bus? Why all the secrecy around what really happened? I appreciate LG doesn’t want to talk about it but given her history, she would have normally ran to the papers with a story about how she was mistreated/misinformed/someone else etc

Reactions: 2
There may be ongoing legal proceedings / an inquiry that means she can’t go to the press?

or it’s too much to talk about publicly?

Reactions: 5
Yeah my guess would be LG can’t talk about it until the legal side has been dealt with. LG wouldn’t miss an opportunity to sell the story I wouldn’t have thought!

• Heart
The ‘doula’ had no medical role in the birth, no authority, no working alongside the midwives, nothing like it. It’s the same as having your mate round to offer support. Morally wrong, but not legally in the wrong.

• Wow
The ‘doula’ had no medical role in the birth, no authority, no working alongside the midwives, nothing like it. It’s the same as having your mate round to offer support. Morally wrong, but not legally in the wrong.
Would she of had a midwife there as well as the Doula Emma?

Maybe the details will all be revealed in court or maybe LG has just kept them private. Although I think the correct information may help other mamas who desire home birthing and the support of a Doula!

The midwife will absolutely have advised her to go to hospital after her waters went for monitoring. I imagine Emma was the one telling Lauren she doesn’t have to do what the midwife advises and she’s much better at home 🙄

Reactions: 9
Maybe the details will all be revealed in court or maybe LG has just kept them private. Although I think the correct information may help other mamas who desire home birthing and the support of a Doula!
Hopefully. Although many real doulas attend births in hospitals as well

Reactions: 2
I thought with Lauren’s situation the baby was born completely healthy and died shortly after birth? Or maybe I’ve got confused? I definitely didn’t think she was stillborn…

Reactions: 3
I thought with Lauren’s situation the baby was born completely healthy and died shortly after birth? Or maybe I’ve got confused? I definitely didn’t think she was stillborn…
yes she was still born. There was no heartbeat before she even arrived at hospital. I think it’s confusing as the spin Lauren put on it was that she was born Perfect & healthy- which unfortunately she may well have been had she been alive, and Lauren is well know for not being the most articulate.

Completely Agree with you we don’t know all the in’s and out’s only what’s been reported, but it all seems very odd. I feel as though Emma failed to check & monitor LG correctly. I guess there would be clear signs of the cord being a problem?

I had to go in around my due date my little ones kick counts were unusual she was very still, I was extremely tired & fatigued but so grateful for the hospital “just checking”! They discovered if I wasn’t lying flat on my back her heart rate would dip and take a little longer than they would like to recover. I never stayed so still in my life.

As much as I dislike saying this weight can be a huge factor in the safe arrival too. LG was humongous when pregnant and most likely on a plan which would involve extra intervention.

I am overweight myself so accepted extra Checking and monitoring was necessary towards the end of my pregnancy.

Although I think it’s a stigma fat girls are more likely to need medical intervention I pushed both my babies out naturally no assistance but I also understand why it’s in place a Dr actually said to me I may not be able to push, let’s check in case we need to send you to theatre for assisted labour. I was offended but labour is not easy with or without floppy fanny face & a useless comb 🤭🤣.
Doulas are not medically qualified and should not be doing any checks. This would be illegal.

Depending on the training they do know the basics of birth and can help as a mentor.

Doulas are not medically qualified and should not be doing any checks. This would be illegal.

Depending on the training they do know the basics of birth and can help as a mentor.
Okay that’s useful to know and like LG said in her anniversary spread in OK mag, blaming someone or something or dwelling on the what’s ifs doesn’t change the outcome. I just hope anyone using a doula as a mentor are also equipped with the knowledge of necessary and unnecessary intervention! 🤍💫

Okay that’s useful to know and like LG said in her anniversary spread in OK mag, blaming someone or something or dwelling on the what’s ifs doesn’t change the outcome. I just hope anyone using a doula as a mentor are also equipped with the knowledge of necessary and unnecessary intervention! 🤍💫
There are great Doulas out there who absolutely have good quality training behind them. Not everyone is a member of Doula Uk and have different (somewhat more legit) accreditations.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Definitely think it’s to do with LG’s upcoming court case unless her ex pleads guilty it will go to trail and all the details will be made public including Emma’s role maybe ?

It’s just all a bit suspect, her business name the Naked Dula is still on company’s house and showing as active. There is yet to be a company with the new name! Somethings definitely up, I smell a 🐀!

Dangerous advice can put you in a dangerous situation! Funny how she promotes that floppy fanny comb over due date pro choice bullshit but has giving birth by Caesarean section twice. Although she is superwoman so this time around she was giving “special treatment” and delivered her own baby by c-section apparently. 🙄🤔

If she had anything to do with the death of poor little Lorena she should be ashamed of herself and her dangerous practices/advice!

Everyone has a different birth story but to loose a baby must be heartbreaking for all involved, Emma only talks about the success stories but what about the ones that go wrong 😑 ?? like Lauren G she waited too long and it’s resulted in her loosing her precious baby 😔 and not one word from Emma!
Yeah I had a look on companies house, looks like her ‘business partner’ she used to rant and rave about jumped ship back in October. Very interesting since they were in her words inseparable 🤔

She’s deffo not talking about LG because they both signed paperwork for her to be the doula. Incredibly tragic 😓

Reactions: 3