The Naked Doula

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Couldn’t find a thread so I’ve made one. I can not deal with this woman. She is dangerous!!!!

Basically a doula who I believe has no medical/midwifery qualifications but advocates for ‘natural’ births and actively encourages women to disregard medical advice, doing things on their own terms such as declining inductions
I completely agree, she is dangerous. People like her need to be licenced.

Reactions: 8
I'm in support of doulas, they help advocate for women when they are at their most vulnerable. Obstetric abuse is a thing, and women are supposed to have autonomy.

But they are not supposed to be giving medical advice, the Naked Doula gives all doulas a bad name. Reminding mothers of their rights and options yes, giving medical advice or essentially encouraging them to ignore advice, no.

That flicking the bean stuff is cringeworthy, I would feel violated if I was pregnant and someone told me to do that.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Have only come across her in the last couple of days and don't know how she can be giving out this advice.
As a mum who's first baby had group b strep, I just don't know how she could advise anyone not to have the antibiotics on offer. I had the antibiotics with my second and would have had them again with my third had I needed to.
My baby is now a healthy 7 year old but being told your 4 day onld baby needs a lumbar puncture to check the infection hasn't spread to her brain is pretty traumatic.
I notice how she says antibiotics can lead to thrush but fails to mention the strep be can lead to pneumonia, sepis or meningitis.
Honestly how she can post this tit is beyond me.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I tried to find out what her background is but couldn’t find anything, does anyone know? There isn’t even an ‘about me’ section on her website.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
I’m pregnant atm and got an online hypnobirthing course from the positive birth company.
Before I continue - I agree thay getting yourself in tizz and stressing and screaming isn’t the best way to get through labour & Breathing properly and staying calm can help a lot.

However I just found so many of the videos like this woman.. just completely anti hospital's, interventions, inductions etc and I just find it bizarre. “We’re mammals were meant togive birth in the dark alone”
Yes… and what do we think the rate of mothers & babies dying during birth were 🙄??

also this bullshit of pushing the mantra that birth / labour shouldn’t be painful? Doctors & hospitals make it painful? Yes I’m sure cave women pushed a human out their vaginas and laughed and joked the whole way through it cus it was just a painless experience for them🤦‍♀️.

Another girl I know who does a hypno birthing course follows this nutter.. when I told her I got diagnosed with gestational diabetes she asked why I even went for the test & it’s a complete waste of time and She tells all her ladies not to bother 🙃🙃🙃🙃. It’s so irresponsible and dangerous.

like midwives and doctors aren’t sat in a room before your birth evil laughing to one another about how painful they can make labour for you.. they literally want the same as you. You’re on the same team. They want youto have a health delivery and a healthy baby.

Reactions: 19
Oh duck off will you
🤣🤣 she’s away with the fairies isn’t she. She doesn’t seem to know her own mind. Finally practicing what she preaches, I guess. I wonder how many mothers she has alienated with this post. If I’d had a C-section elective or otherwise, I don’t know if I’d be offended or rolling my eyes at her.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Oh duck off will you
Until she ends up having a section again. And I hate when people use the term ‘natural birth’ - it’s vaginal birth. You’d think she’d be less of a dick about it seen as she hasn’t had a vaginal birth yet. Stop making people feel their experiences aren’t ‘natural’

(and I’ve had two vaginal births - doesn’t mean I did anything better than anyone else!)

Reactions: 14
I had a c section 2 months early because of severe preeclampsia and it was the safest thing for both of us. She talks absolute tit. If I’d had a ‘natural’ birth my blood pressure could have got even worse, causing more risk of complications. For a birthing ‘expert’ she spouts some absolute bullshit.

Alive is the safest birth you bleeping moron.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
I had a c section 2 months early because of severe preeclampsia and it was the safest thing for both of us. She talks absolute tit. If I’d had a ‘natural’ birth my blood pressure could have got even worse, causing more risk of complications. For a birthing ‘expert’ she spouts some absolute bullshit.

Alive is the safest birth you bleeping moron.
Hear hear!

imagine if you ignored medial advice cus some twit with an Instagram account told you to “do your own research” and “be empowered” 🙄🙄.. yes because a google makes me more qualified to make decisions than a trained doctor..

I swear they just ignore any health problems in pregnancy and pretend they don’t exist / aren’t common. It doesn’t follow their narrative of birth being a beautiful, painless, euphoric experience.

Reactions: 10
I went to the mid led unit, did contemplate a doula, practiced hypnobirthing, had my baba no issues.
Let me tell you I begged for pain relief, begged! It was too late. Despite the hypnobirthing I felt like I was being ripped in two. Totally normal for most vaginal deliveries. It's painful. No amount of fooling your mind into believing a flower is blossoming will work. It's not spiritual. Most labouring mothers make an unholy racket. Because its painful. There's that word again. Pain. Sore. Suffering. It's worth it though and despite peeing myself today every time I cough or sneeze I don't really mind. Probably should get that checked.
While we're on the subject, afterbirth in my particular mid led unit didn't provide any pain relief afterwards either. I was rather uncomfortable and asked for some, should have brought my own paracetamol apparently.
So yeah, Miss Naked Midwife good luck with it all.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I went to the mid led unit, did contemplate a doula, practiced hypnobirthing, had my baba no issues.
Let me tell you I begged for pain relief, begged! It was too late. Despite the hypnobirthing I felt like I was being ripped in two. Totally normal for most vaginal deliveries. It's painful. No amount of fooling your mind into believing a flower is blossoming will work. It's not spiritual. Most labouring mothers make an unholy racket. Because its painful. There's that word again. Pain. Sore. Suffering. It's worth it though and despite peeing myself today every time I cough or sneeze I don't really mind. Probably should get that checked.
While we're on the subject, afterbirth in my particular mid led unit didn't provide any pain relief afterwards either. I was rather uncomfortable and asked for some, should have brought my own paracetamol apparently.
So yeah, Miss Naked Midwife good luck with it all.
Absolutely this. Two babies ‘naturally’ 🙄 and it bloody hurts. Gas & air does nothing! I did hypnobirthing but you do not ‘breathe’ your baby out. It’s called labour for a reason, it’s hard, sometimes scary (especially when it’s quick) and painful. Yes there’s a beauty in birth but that’s because of the end product. Not the method. Some of the most beautiful birth photography I have seen is from caesarian deliveries.

Reactions: 11
Absolutely this. Two babies ‘naturally’ 🙄 and it bloody hurts. Gas & air does nothing! I did hypnobirthing but you do not ‘breathe’ your baby out. It’s called labour for a reason, it’s hard, sometimes scary (especially when it’s quick) and painful. Yes there’s a beauty in birth but that’s because of the end product. Not the method. Some of the most beautiful birth photography I have seen is from caesarian deliveries.
It does. It really does. But as soon as that wee baby is put in your arms you'd do it all over again.
Totally weird. Thats the reality that most expectant mothers need and eventually learn.
Doulas are great, they serve a purpose, fantastic resource but this one has way overstretched herself.
I must check out C delivery photography x

• Heart
Reactions: 5