The frugality

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It doesn’t appear much thought went into the lay-out of the kitchen units at all. Worst though is the toilet opening into the kitchen, even If it meant reducing the size of the kitchen, they should have the toilet door opening into the hall.
I've been in a new build house with the loo opening straight into the kitchen, did seem a bit gross but obviously it's not a planning issue.

Anyone else’s algorithm gone a bit weird? I’ve seen Alex’s post about her bloody kitchen about 100 times and keeps being at the top of my feed 😡

I just saw a picture of her finished kitchen and I find it really hard to understand their choices. It’s ok, don’t get me wrong I don’t even have my own house so if someone gave me their kitchen I’d be over the moon, but I most certainly wouldn’t make these choices myself.

All the whites they have there clash so much. The sink and the corner next to the oven are just so oddly squeezed in. The dark robust extractor fan looks really out of place in between those cream white cupboards with dainty golden handles. The worktop wood again doesn’t go at all with their parquet flooring.

It all looks so overcomplicated and mismatched. I think they really got carried away trying to make it special and went too far. Sometimes less is really more. Although, I guess as long as they love it, that’s what matters.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
I agree it looks a bit fussy and squished into the corner, maybe just the angle of the photo though. Really like the dark green they've used, just think it does clash a bit with the two very different flooring used. I think minimal is always best!

Reactions: 3
Agree that it looks v mis matched and with so much fanfare and build up I was expecting something spectacular. I mean it’s Ok, not my choice and I don’t like the gold handles and chrome appliances but if they love it then 👍🏻

Reactions: 2
It's nice, but I can't understand why half the cupboards are green though and the others cream.... The cream ones would look better green imho, the cream doesn't go with all the white 🤷‍♀️

For such a large space it looks a bit tucked away. I’m sure had they used a kitchen designer it could have been stunning. It’s a practical kitchen and beats the set up they had before, but food, dining and hosting isn’t their bag so it’s a functional room for them. It’s not a wow but that’s not what they were after given their budget.

I’m seriously underwhelmed by it. Was expecting so much more.

But as others have said if they’re happy that’s all that matters

Reactions: 4
I’m not keen. Too many whites and the tile floor behind the island doesn’t look deep enough to put stools.

Her decorating taste was never really my taste, but it was stylish. It feels like she has lost her touch a bit.

Reactions: 2
It's nice. I don't know why I was expecting something spectacular? Probably because it's been years in the making now. It is nice though. Just not what I expected.

I assume they have no intention of moving but the kitchen isn’t really “period” or full of character for a period property or proportionate to the property value. It’s probably the first room I’d rip out as it lacks something special. Such a shame that they didn’t hire professionals to design something fabulous. It should have been bespoke really.

Reactions: 5
I agree that the random cream cupboards look out of place. I love the green. Also not feeling the different tile just for the kitchen. It looks really small. Not sure why they tucked it into a small U shape. Forget the small toilet opening into the kitchen and just have a bigger kitchen!

Reactions: 1
They have a growing family, they have a separate living room and study. The kitchen room itself seems to be a reasonable size but they go stick the kitchen units into a corner. It looks like no thought went into the layout of the units. The floor tiling looks silly. The seem to place more importance on gallery walls and sticking a sideboard in the room than planning a functional kitchen.

i wonder where their washing machine and tumble dryer are, doesn’t seem to be space for them in the kitchen unit area and if don‘t think they have a separate utility.

• Heart
Also why put the oven next to fridge/freezer? Those appliances will have a much shorter life that way. Not to mention the waste of energy and a higher electricity bill.

Is the other half of the kitchen an eating area , otherwise I don’t get the layout.

I do like it but it’s just a bit squished.

This kitchen looks like it’s been designed by people who know nothing about how a kitchen should be used i.e students. The focus has been all about the materials they used such as flooring, tiles and worktops, sideboard, gallery wall and they have just thought ‘OMG we need to have these in our kitchen’ Not thought on the layout or how the space can be used best.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Note on her frugality page she’s saying that her freezer is too small....as someone else said it’s all style over substance.....why wouldn’t you check these things out first?
Also that veg box thing she plugs is £18?! Our local greengrocers does a decent one for a tenner
Also her latest shopping bill....what the duck do they eat?! Also half the stuff on her planner isn’t on her bill or have come out of the expensive veg box, so that’s a bit shady

On the frugality post with the eating plan and the shopping list, the items on the shopping list don’t correlate to what she’s cooking? One of the meals says quorn mince but that’s not on the shopping list, neither are aubergines or courgettes or even hash browns.... so the two things don’t match and is clearly a bit false? She’s missing all the pricier ingredients so must have done another shop on top

Reactions: 4
And the food menu looks so crap and basic. It’s easy to spend hardly anything on food if all you’re buying is pulses and vegetables 🙄

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.