The Frugality/Alexandra Stedman #7 Everything is affordable when it's #gifted

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Tbh I don’t think there’s any way to pivot to being a good or happy influencer when the whole thing is so inherently clapped. The exception being if you moved over to sustainable / slow living with more of a focus on education which then becomes economically unviable so is it even influencing as we know it? Unless you got a mega eBay partnership like that girl off love island I suppose? And is that even okay? Or went more into journalism and media?

Idk for me I don’t want lifestyle advice from ppl living an elongated childhood provided by their hard working parents. I’m not motivated to buy anything pushed to me by ppl that couldn’t do what we’ve done and I’m grateful for having the conviction of self to not feel
such a level of status anxiety that would be necessary to compel me to buy into whatever hallmarks of a MC lifestyle are being pushed to us by ppl that don’t and could never pay for it themselves. Like I don’t find hoarding 5 ceramic teaspoon holders remotely aspirational and I couldn’t give a duck about what soap is cool to have in the guest bathroom this season because I’m a financially independent adult with our own financial future to manage. We have nice things we’ve bought because we needed or loved them, but we consume sustainably for this earth and for a family that are building a life for ourselves and intergenerational wealth for our little one. Like surely this style of middle class on a shoestring content is just for other feeble objectively unsuccessful adult children absolutely ignorant to the world? 😬 Idk suspect maybe we’d all be happier if we considered why class markers matter to us and what are we really spending for? It might be liberating to escape that never ending consumption cycle that only truly benefits big business.

+ This level of consumption is ghastly and increasingly passé imo, a recession will be awful for many reasons but I hope it encourages excessive consumers to reconsider their relationship with acquiring tat and adopt a more mindful approach.
You’re a brilliant writer! So well said

Reactions: 4
HTRIA always nails it. 👩‍🍳 💋!

I agree there’s something inherently unethical about being an influencer. In order to make more money, you need to do more ads, and for those ads to generate the most income, you need to convince your audience that they need what you’re selling. It helps if you share your kids too (but let’s not think about why).

The only ones I remotely respect are the ones who still work a proper job (few and far between) and get gifted things as a side effect, rather than that being the main purpose. Even then, these ones usually still show their kids 🤦🏻‍♀️

I need to delete Instagram really (I don’t actually follow Alex or any of the threads I follow on tattle, but I still look at them 🙄).

Reactions: 7
if you go on clemmie Telford page Alex commented on the last reel.
She mentioned being really down when she read the tattle thread about her, I can understand nobody likes criticism but is it ethical what she does? I don’t know how she can’t expect criticism after lying multiple times, influencing to buy more whilst gaslighting people on how to save by switching bread??
I didn’t actually know who Clemmie was so looked her up and quoting Mindy Kaling, really Alex? Trying to show off how diverse you are again? Reminds of a white bloke at my work who’s fond of interjecting “as Bob Marley once said…” to try and prove how inclusive he is 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 6
You guys are sweeties ty sorry I wrote an essay at 4am.

Agree completely influencing isn’t ok and it really pisses me off that we’re told not to discuss this reality cos of #bekind? Women are entering IVAs at unprecedented rates and obvs this is anecdotal but the women I know with sky high consumer debt (eg >100% of gross annual income) are all heavy Instagram users so doesn’t take brain of Britain to work out why that may be. They’re pushing levels of consumption on young households that just aren’t tenable and it’s causing serious long lasting consequences for women’s finances and our mental health - it’s a women’s issue yet how dare we as women have the NERVE to discuss it? Like give over. Funnily Clare Seal is the only person I’ve known to write about exactly this yet Alex does the most to pretend they’re remotely aligned. 🤭

Also if taking up a morally dubious career in order to fund performing middle classdom is making u miso then imagine how miso the rest of us are having to listen to discussions on soap and center parcs in the office/Insta/baby classes 😴😴😴 It’s v liberating when you free yourself from the situations where ppl are gonna care what buggy you have or where your coat is from might be worth a punt for these miso influencers 🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 11
That beauty pie ad….more lies….they just trip off the tongue with Alex nowadays. Claiming she gifts little beauty pie care packages in the case. Those cases are £20 each and beauty pie is t the bargain it once was, so the contents are at least £50….this is the woman that gifts £1 candles and re-wraps cheap flowers there’s no way she’s giving a gift costing £70 as a ‘care package’ I call bollocks….she’s getting worse by the day 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 14
C0445F90-FE6A-48AE-BB6B-BA9179DEDAA1.png

BP legit a works with every Tom Dick and Harry. The face ^ that promotes BP. Lolol

Reactions: 5
😂 as if she has ever gifted anything like this 😂😂

dusty old post office candles or 1 of a a 3 pack of matches are all you're likely to get from ol' frugal pants!

145EF20B-DBB8-44E9-8044-EEB8BAE000AF.png

That beauty pie ad….more lies….they just trip off the tongue with Alex nowadays. Claiming she gifts little beauty pie care packages in the case. Those cases are £20 each and beauty pie is t the bargain it once was, so the contents are at least £50….this is the woman that gifts £1 candles and re-wraps cheap flowers there’s no way she’s giving a gift costing £70 as a ‘care package’ I call bollocks….she’s getting worse by the day 😂
I should've read up post- we both instantly thought the same thing! She talks such b/s!

Why does Alex do product reviews like she’s doing a mash-up of Grade 2 show & tell and Grade 7 classroom debating?

The ear muffs video is pure cringe 😬

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Lovely undisclosed ad for these silly little matchboxes (“this is our own product” doesn’t actually warn the viewer that they’re watching an advert, does it?) - anyway, only takes about 3 mins to report to the ASA these days x

• Heart
Lovely undisclosed ad for these silly little matchboxes (“this is our own product” doesn’t actually warn the viewer that they’re watching an advert, does it?) - anyway, only takes about 3 mins to report to the ASA these days x
Honestly this - why can’t she grasp this very basic concept that anything you are flogging or gifted is a bleeping ad? These lot are the worst advert for a private education imaginable.

Don’t know if it applies but I will be putting in an ASA complaint about this. Even though she’s said it’s her own product I would have thought she’d have to disclose this as an advert.

• Heart
Don’t know if it applies but I will be putting in an ASA complaint about this. Even though she’s said it’s her own product I would have thought she’d have to disclose this as an advert.
Yeah - they have to mark everything as #AD, basically if it’s in any form a commercial relationship or there’s any money or goods exchanging hands it is an advert and not #gifted or #press or often in her case she just pretends it’s organic content. She’s posting something she’s selling, so it’s product placement which guess what… is a bleeping advert!

Reactions: 8
Oh she can kindly duck off with the not-so-casual mention of her donation to charity right after the undisclosed ad for her own products.

Under a fiver as well, but someone else does all the work, what a surprise. It would have cost more than that to process? But Alex gets paid and more importantly she gets to humblebrag

• Heart
Reactions: 11
It’s extra sneaky because when she does a paid partnership she’ll do that AD BREAK thing on her stories, which give a the viewer a false sense of security that she’s good at disclosing. In reality all of her content should be preceded by AD BREAK (except Tiger tat - Alex is forever salty that they won’t do an #ad with her!)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.