The Frugality #5 Weeks and months to tile a floor, we love to cosplay being poor

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Trying to pass off a gift as superior quality by rewrapping it is so so strange…. Can’t she see that?! Like hobnobs in a fortnums tin.
The fact that she thinks the window dressing is more important than the actual quality is very revealing of her personality.

Supermarket flowers (and hobnobs!) would all be gratefully received here but I would resent them being dressed up as ‘artisanal!’ Why do you need to dupe a friend into thinking you spent more than you did??

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Not working nor middle class. If I am going to someone house for meal, I will offer to bring snacks or wine. I see it more of a curtesy. A bottle of good wine cost less than a tenner. Imagine being invited to your mate house and you buy two candles that cost a quid. I rather she would just come empty handed instead.

In the comment, it seems like many people think and are already doing this. I think they are cosplaying middle class.

Reactions: 8
I think they don’t know what they are doing. They seem middle class (she definitely does with her wealthy parents and private school, don’t know about him), but don’t want to work to actually afford a middle class lifestyle, so they end up looking like they are playing at being poor. (Not playing at being working class - not saying poor = working class!)

Reactions: 5
I’m exhausted by the idea of having to exchange goods for any occasion regardless of how significant it may be. Why does a visit to a friend have to imply adding unnecessary items to the landfill? Food and drinks are all perfectly acceptable and preferable in my opinion. Another thing I can’t stand is thank you goodie bags. Whatever happened to just appreciating the time spent together? How are our kids going to learn to live sustainably if they return home with a bag of tat after every birthday party?

I’m exhausted by the idea of having to exchange goods for any occasion regardless of how significant it may be. Why does a visit to a friend have to imply adding unnecessary items to the landfill? Food and drinks are all perfectly acceptable and preferable in my opinion. Another thing I can’t stand is thank you goodie bags. Whatever happened to just appreciating the time spent together? How are our kids going to learn to live sustainably if they return home with a bag of tat after every birthday party?
Just to add, I grew up during the war in Yugoslavia and we surely didn’t have much, often even certain food was hard to come by, but I now see it was a healthier way to grow up in many ways. As kids we didn’t learn and expect material expression of friendship. Life can really be so much more joyful with less.

• Heart
Reactions: 16

Just to add, I grew up during the war in Yugoslavia and we surely didn’t have much, often even certain food was hard to come by, but I now see it was a healthier way to grow up in many ways. As kids we didn’t learn and expect material expression of friendship. Life can really be so much more joyful with less.
10000000%
Couldn't agree more.

Reactions: 1

Hell YES

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Tiger candles in string, supermarket flowers in brown paper - we’ve been here before with Alex’s dinner party ‘tips’. She is well and truly scraping the content barrel if the only additional idea she can offer is ‘buy a £5:99 bottle of Prosecco from Lidl’. Ffs we’re not brainless cheapskate students! I can’t see how any of this is revelatory to her audience either??!

And as said upthread, it would royally piss me off if she showed up to a dinner party I was hosting with this tat. Meanwhile she’s simultaneously on the grid buying endless baskets/garden hoopla/tiger tat not to mention quite a lot of new clothes & trainers for herself. She is not skint. She just prioritises how she spends her money - and anyone who generously hosts her isn’t one of them!

Reactions: 10
Ideas on hosting a dinner party frugally would actually be interesting content.
Although can’t imagine she’s hosted a proper dinner party - tiny table + cost!!

Reactions: 4
38964CD3-DCB1-4C64-8EA0-95045E934CFD.png
Are they really digging up their grass to plonk down another patio made up from mismatched tiles? Clearly I’m unfashionable for preferring a bit of nature in my garden over their “explosion at the DYI centre” aesthetic.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
View attachment 1297389Are they really digging up their grass to plonk down another patio made up from mismatched tiles? Clearly I’m unfashionable for preferring a bit of nature in my garden over their “explosion at the DYI centre” aesthetic.
I’m perplexed as to why the patio is that big in the first place? It’s not even as if the kids can draw on it with chalks? Now they’re limiting their grass to a 2 x 8 rectangle? Black absorbs heat so the kids won’t be able to sit on it when the sun’s out either, so that patch of grass is the start and finish of their play space? 😬

Reactions: 7
Is that manky cupboard thing the “big shed” they bought before they decided to buy various garden coffins? It’s not even 4’x6’ which is your standard small shed!

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Is that manky cupboard thing the “big shed” they bought before they decided to buy various garden coffins? It’s not even 4’x6’ which is your standard small shed!
I was just thinking that. So they have the microshed and the coffins for cushions but they STILL have the proper shed too?! 😂😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I was just thinking that. So they have the microshed and the coffins for cushions but they STILL have the proper shed too?! 😂😂😂
Maybe they could do a mini garden office, like all the middle class have. But it will cost money, she would need to give up her sourdough.

Also to mention, all those stupid frames that she ordered online from easy frame are not cheap, it can easily go up to £40.

View attachment 1297389Are they really digging up their grass to plonk down another patio made up from mismatched tiles? Clearly I’m unfashionable for preferring a bit of nature in my garden over their “explosion at the DYI centre” aesthetic.
Of course the frugal queen herself is going to buy more furniture for the new patio. Her garden is going to become a grave yard of chairs and random small sheds. so much furniture rammed in everywhere.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
I do wonder if they have a cleaner. They never talk about doing housework at all and I shudder to think how long it must take to move all that tat and give it a good dusting. That or they live under 5 inches of dust at all times

Reactions: 2
And how many tiles is ‘some left over’ enough for a 10x12 patio is really bath maths 😂 I have 3 left over from mine which have been propped on the drive ‘in case we need them’ for the last 3 years like normal people 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I do wonder if they have a cleaner. They never talk about doing housework at all and I shudder to think how long it must take to move all that tat and give it a good dusting. That or they live under 5 inches of dust at all times
I am sure they have, and I am also sure they are tight and asking for the change back because god forbid they pay 2 quid more people that actually work

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.