The Frugality #4 I spy with my little eye a secret second storey reaching up to the sky.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I just saw her meal planning post, and gosh, she’s got so much time on her hands. The way she writes down pretty much every single type of food they have in the house makes me think she either has a brain capacity of a bird or is doing this for the first time.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I just saw her meal planning post, and gosh, she’s got so much time on her hands. The way she writes down pretty much every single type of food they have in the house makes me think she either has a brain capacity of a bird or is doing this for the first time.
She has so much time 🤣 that fridge is empty af

Reactions: 3
Who has the time to write down everything they have in the fridge/pantry before meal planning? The fridge was practically empty, yet she has a long list of food on her ‘what we have’ list.

• Haha
I just don't understand who Alex thinks her target audience is? Her tips are eat what food you have and buy what you need.🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Who has the time to write down everything they have in the fridge/pantry before meal planning? The fridge was practically empty, yet she has a long list of food on her ‘what we have’ list.
If I saw it correctly, she put down three or four different types of rice they have! 😂

Reactions: 2
I do this mentally before every shop, like I think meal combinations for the week and the some days we have scraps and leftovers. Nothing revolutionary I don’t think and certainly don’t waste an hour of my time writing down stuff on my cupboard…isn’t it what most ppl do anyways?
Ah hour writing down that! That’s mad.
I’ll tell you how to save money, stop faffing (moving rugs, painting a bin, meal plan etc) and keep your kid off London nurseries.
You saved yourself 2 grand a month 😂

Reactions: 6
I do this mentally before every shop, like I think meal combinations for the week and the some days we have scraps and leftovers. Nothing revolutionary I don’t think and certainly don’t waste an hour of my time writing down stuff on my cupboard…isn’t it what most ppl do anyways?
Ah hour writing down that! That’s mad.
I’ll tell you how to save money, stop faffing (moving rugs, painting a bin, meal plan etc) and keep your kid off London nurseries.
You saved yourself 2 grand a month 😂
That’s why I said she must not be particularly bright, if she needs to write all of it down instead of doing a quick mental image. I mean if you really prepare most of your meals throughout the week you constantly go through the cupboards, so you roughing know what you’ve got and what needs buying.

• Heart
£42 for a shop that lasts 8-10 days for 2 adults and two kids…and includes stuff they need like rinse aid? Is she genuinely trying to say they only spend about £20 a week on food?! I know they get the free odd box but that’s literally full of potatoes and onions
Also had she stopped pretending they shop at Lidl now she ‘works with’ Aldi even although we all know she really goes to Sainsburys (Alpro almond milk in the fridge…) and likely spends about 4 times that….does she think peop are daft?!

She said her shopping this week cost £42 but if you look down through her ‘already have’ list she already had lots of food-stuff - a variety of veg and fruit, rices, pasta, cheeses, baked beans, eggs, two types of breakfast cereal, flatbread - so considering they don’t seem to eat much/any meat and they have all this already, add in half the cost of her fortnightly Oddbin veg box - her food bill for the week is actually a lot more than the £42.

What she ‘already had’ was bought at some stage, whether this week or last.

There are some really baffling design decisions (or lack of them) here. I’m squinting to read it, but this is just Lunch and Dinner, then there’s a tiny box for ‘breakfast ideas’ then notes?! Ok. So normally you don’t bring a product to market without some research, preferably from your audience - I don’t remember missing many polls or questions on stories but fair enough, maybe that happened - but it’s not hard to design a page that has Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner is it?! If her ‘audience’ has kids (as she does) would an actual family planner not make sense with enough space for kids meals too? Are her kids also eating the same meals as them? Fair play if they are (we all eat the same at weekends but isn’t practical most other days) but… it’s not hard to get this right and working better is it?

I’m not a strict planner but use a really basic whiteboard that just has the days of the week, but enough space for 3 meals with an extra space in each box for 3y/o meals (if I didn’t write down ideas it’d be beans on toast by the time I’ve finished work ready to cook for him!) The whole thing mainly serves as a way to remind me of expiry dates and vague recipe ideas anyway…

Anyway. Not really slating what they eat or feed their kids, but this ‘product’ is totally whack. It reads like it has “lunch, dinner, breakfastabitmaybeifyoulike”

Attachments

Reactions: 4
So I can get taking a mental or actual list of fresh food in the fridge that needs used up. But why on earth would you write down everything you have in your cupboards? That just completely unnecessary and a total waste of time. The things she's written down - risotto rice, noodles, tuna, beans, etc, last for MONTHS. So why would you stock take them every week?

Surely you try to incorporate fresh food into your meals to get them used up then figure out what you need to buy that you don't already have in the cupboards? Why overcomplicate things? I'm also not buying that her food shop is £42.

• Heart
Alex does everything in the most non-logical arse about face way! Everything is always so over engineered!

Edited to add, are people really that basic?! I get writing a shopping list and meal planning but listing What We Have? Don’t most households have a rolling core stock of pasta, baked beans, tuna, tinned soup etc and then just add what they need each week? And secondly you don’t need a bleeping app to write a bastard shopping list! Either write it on a piece of paper or in your Notes on your phone!

Last edited:
But why on earth would you write down everything you have in your cupboards? That just completely unnecessary and a total waste of time. The things she's written down - risotto rice, noodles, tuna, beans, etc, last for MONTHS. So why would you stock take them every week?
Totally. Don't most people operate on a system where they have enough of a store cupboard ingredient to do at least one meal, then stick it on the shopping list when they need to stock up?

It’s all for show to promote this stupid planner. I’m sure most of us (like I do) buy fresh veg and meat (if you eat it) each week and then meal plan around that with cupboard additions. I don’t even meal plan, I just look in the fridge in the morning and decide. She should spend more time educating herself on a more balanced diet and learning to cook properly rather than planning a risotto followed by pasta followed by a sandwich. Her bloat must be awful!

• Wow
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.