The Frugality #4 I spy with my little eye a secret second storey reaching up to the sky.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Someone on here called it, the 'activity' advent calendar has been all but binned off.

Having a bath and putting a star on the tree was too much. šŸ™„
I can't stand this activity advent calendar. It implies that these activities are a special treat for the poor kid (implying that drawing on the windows is part of the calendar?), when it's just the sort of thing anyone should do with their children year-round. What on earth is wrong with a Ā£1 calendar with some chocolate in there? I suppose if it isn't gifted, then it isn't frugal!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I can't stand this activity advent calendar. It implies that these activities are a special treat for the poor kid (implying that drawing on the windows is part of the calendar?), when it's just the sort of thing anyone should do with their children year-round. What on earth is wrong with a Ā£1 calendar with some chocolate in there? I suppose if it isn't gifted, then it isn't frugal!
Itā€™s so bleeping worthy and woke it makes my skin crawl. Get her a Cadburys one and let her have a chocolate treat every morning, duck me šŸ™„

Reactions: 9
Argh saw someone else posted about this but it seemed to disappear before I could quote reply but wtf is this nonsense? Is she unwell or does she actually believe her own lies?! And do these brands and websites even look at her activity to in any way vet or validate the realities of what she claims?! Itā€™s been nothing but mindless unstoppable frivolous consumerism for weeks!

Attachments

Reactions: 8
The advent activities are so boring! If you're going to do and share it at least make it inspiring!

She is the most mindless spender I follow. Every day is a new purchase or screenshot of something with an affiliate link. She makes her living out of other people's consumerism, which is fine but don't make out otherwise.

Reactions: 7
The activity advent would be lovely if the activities were actually interesting. I don't know - attend a Christmas lights switch on, make a gingerbread house, etc. Not have a bleeping bath. Do you think she puts coal in their stockings as well? Does Father Christmas bring them their school uniform?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
Her kids got an activity advent calendar that she gave up on halfway through and she has a ā€œone present ruleā€. Yet buys herself at least 10 things (clothes/homeware) in the run up to Christmas. Selective frugality and general selfishness is what I see!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Her one gift rule is nonsense. Her house is full of toys, whether they are bought new/used by herself, gifted from family, gifted from brands, etc. They have so much.

Most family only every buy one gift per niece/grandchild anyway, itā€™s hardly something earth shattering. She buys a Christmas gift for her children from herself, one from Santa and then stocking gifts - so sheā€™s buying two main presents and then smaller items and then thereā€™s family gifts. Just like what millions of other families do.

That article for Goodtogo is shockingly badly written ā€¦. Ever since becoming a mum Iā€™ve experienced that chaotic first Christmas, where every family member goes crazy ā€¦. That sentence doesnā€™t even make sense.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Her one gift rule is nonsense. Her house is full of toys, whether they are bought new/used by herself, gifted from family, gifted from brands, etc. They have so much.

Most family only every buy one gift per niece/grandchild anyway, itā€™s hardly something earth shattering. She buys a Christmas gift for her children from herself, one from Santa and then stocking gifts - so sheā€™s buying two main presents and then smaller items and then thereā€™s family gifts. Just like what millions of other families do.

That article for Goodtogo is shockingly badly written ā€¦. Ever since becoming a mum Iā€™ve experienced that chaotic first Christmas, where every family member goes crazy ā€¦. That sentence doesnā€™t even make sense.
I was thinking the same. I even thought that maybe she meant one present bought collectively by the whole family, but then it became clear thatā€™s not what she meant. Is it otherwise usual to give more than one present?

Reactions: 2
THIS.
IS.
AN.
ADVERT.

Ffs since when did a whispered ā€œI work with Xā€ pass in the rules that she so diligently nodded along to a reminder about from the excellent and ACTUALLY honest, frugal MyFrugalYear. The audaaaacity of it all. Ugh.
Couldnā€™t agree more - sheā€™s absolutely appalling for declaring ads.

ETA - I actually think the constant bombardment of luxury lifestyle images is a big part of the social media problem - it normalises excessive spending which is why more women than ever are r teeing IVAs. Itā€™s all part of the same sickness

Reactions: 5
Absolutely no mention of the upstairs extension in the stories Q&A! So bloody sneaky and disingenuous. Yes the question was about the ground floor plans, but stillā€¦
And she cannot be bothered/canā€™t afford a replacement retainer for her Invisalign treatment. Wtf?! Surely her teeth are going to slip back and any the results of the treatment will be lost?? Baffling.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Absolutely no mention of the upstairs extension in the stories Q&A! So bloody sneaky and disingenuous. Yes the question was about the ground floor plans, but stillā€¦
And she cannot be bothered/canā€™t afford a replacement retainer for her Invisalign treatment. Wtf?! Surely her teeth are going to slip back and any the results of the treatment will be lost?? Baffling.
Also confused about saving up for years for repointing & having front room windows that donā€™t work?! Why are they living like paupers in some ways and then living a mega privileged life of #gifts off mum and dad & brands in others?!

Reactions: 3
The continual trotting out of ā€˜we canā€™t afford this/canā€™t afford that/saving up for x etc etcā€™ is grating.
They are not poor. Budgeting & prioritising finances is just what the rest of us do every day!
It comes across as pious and is obviously an attempt to cling on to some semblance of ā€˜frugalityā€™.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Totally ridiculous. If I needed to replace my Invisalign retainer it would be Ā£75. She spends that in a month on crappy candles and tat from tiger. I wouldnā€™t even think twice about doing it because to have to re-do the treatment could cost thousands. Did she even pay for Invisalign? Donā€™t remember seeing that or hearing her whinge about the price

• Heart
Reactions: 13
This is the opposite of frugal. What a waste of money - what does she think retainers are for?!View attachment 939158
Currently doing a v short course of Invisalign (under 3 months) and even for such a minor issue it was constantly hammered into me when discussing options & booking the initial consultation / scans, then the big first appt, then my checks since that Iā€™d need to wear the retainer for 3 months after then the rest of my life every night! Iā€™d be complaining to Invisalign about that dentist if I was her tbh.

Reactions: 5
Why the hell does she need to save up for years for repointing? We're in London and got the front and back of our double fronted Victorian house done recently and whilst it's not the sort of work you can get done on a whim, it's also not something you need to save up years to do. She is so bloody bizarre!

And presumably if they need to get the place repointed, it's better to get it done sooner rather than later to avoid potentially much more expensive damp issues further down the line?

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.