The Frugality #3 content is free, don’t care if it’s drivel, shopping in Sainsbury’s, pretending it’s Lidl

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I skipped past the glasses content for an update on the DIY, which shows I’d rather watch paint dry than read any of the glasses waffle 😕. I feel she’s completely lacking direction now she knows the frugality angle is a busted flush.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I've lurked so much on Tattle over the past 2 years ish or so, but never posted before, because literally nothing any other "influencer" has posted has ever irritated me quite as much as this glasses debacle. There's some right twats out there, of course, but this feels so... needlessly and disingenously sanctimonious?

I absolutely loved Alex's fashion posts. I loved that she combined more expensive pieces with high street fashion; in the past, I've had so much inspiration from her. I still wear outfits inspired by her previous posts. She had (and still does) have a really great eye for timeless style, for me.

For the past year or so, it's just been... awful. Absolute shite. She's never been THAT frugal. That house, the absolute crap she buys... nothing is frugal. That's alright, I guess. We can all aspire to being better with money. I can appreciate skimping a bit on Everyday Essentials vs branded items (a no brainer, really) to eventually afford a one-off nice purchase. Still, it's not revolutionary, and not really what she does now. It's all gifted, isn't it? I suppose that's why she's stepped away from The Frugality Insta (which is fair enough, if you want to move away from that MO - but own it! Commit to it! Don't call it 'maternity' when you're rabidly posting about glasses on your other account) ... but to spend a holiday in your family's apartment abroad, for example, and still preach frugality is a bit of a kick in the teeth, to be honest. To moan about being able to take your kids abroad and about restaurants and hunting down chips and bread... Come on!

Anyway, the original complaint: the glasses. I've worn glasses since I was about seven years old, and the only time I've ever felt tit for wearing them was when another seven-year old called me four eyes. That was over 20 years ago. I love my glasses - I love that they're a fashion accessory for me, and I love the way they feel and look on my face, and I love that when I get a new pair, people notice. They say, I love your glasses. No one post-adolescence has ever made me feel like tit for wearing glases. I've had a lot to feel a bit tit about (influencers having basically free holidays in their parents' apartments and moaning about how they didn't feel relaxed after it, for example...), but wearing glasses isn't it. In fact, the only person who really seems bothered about Alex wearing glasses, is Alex.

I'm not sure what planet Alex is living on that she feels like she has to take her glasses off to look pretty or accepted or whatever, but maybe she needs to get new friends? Or new peers? Or maybe she's just angling for laser eye surgery. Who knows! I unfollowed her today, after perservering for a while in the futile hope that she'd post something in the ilk of her OG high street fashion inspo. There are loads of mums who post great post-partum fashion and Mum fashion and what-have-you, and none of them seem to be quite so hard done by. I can't sit through crap photos of any old woman wearing glasses, using her convoluted rules for what's acceptable for women wearing glasses in media (apparently if you're a "nerd" or in science, you can't wear them because that's what the media and society expects of you???).

I dunno, man. Maybe just finish tiling your bloody garden before rallying against the non-glasses plebian masses?

• Heart
Reactions: 26
I'm a lifelong all day, every day glasses wearer and even I'm tapping past all the glasses content. It's so dull. Everyone just buys news glasses when their optician tells them they need to. This isn't an opportunity to
influence anyone.

All these glasses stories are making her come across as really strange.

Wondering if the title should be changed to include it at least add her name instead of it just being The Frugality.

Reactions: 6
She definitely needs to do something different. She’s got a great eye for styling and fashion but the fiddling around at home with Tiger candles and fences is just woeful. Laura Fantacci managed to segue from being a fashion intern into high end stuff, albeit with a rich husband and family money, but at least she gives the impression she works on her magazine (even if it is just a vehicle for a million affiliate links) . People’s lives change, they grow up, get more disposable income and that’s ok. When Alex was a low paid fashion junior then her content did look aspirational which is what people want to see. Now it looks like needless penny pinching, bodging and a couple of bored adults rattling around living off passive income somehow. Chris needs to go and get some work outside of Alex’s business and Alex needs space to grow her business in a clearer direction. Enjoy the rest of the maternity leave, get a man in to finish off the tiling (for the love of god, please!), use your evenings to plan a clear career strategy and brush up Chris’s portfolio/CV and then come back off maternity with a new strategy (that doesn’t involve glasses, unless you plan to open an opticians).

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Another life long glasses wearer who doesn’t have a chip on her shoulder. 🙋🏻‍♀️

You can’t even tap through the bloody stories as there are so many you’d end up with repetitive strain injury.

A couple of years ago, Erica Davies and Alex had the best eyes on IG for identifying trends, mixing high street and high end fashion, and adding high street trending pieces to their existing wardrobes.

Erica has written a book, has a boot collaboration with John Lewis, has had a couple of furnishing collaborations, is on TV and that’s just what I can think of quickly. Erica also does Sunday Styling that relies on images (No actual clothes required! Frugal! Environmentally conscious!) and she talks through her styling choices, plus she does a great Friday round up. I really look forward to Erica’s stories and as a result I have no problem with her advertisements, particularly as they are usually a good fit for her brand.

That’s the ‘free’ content I want: entertaining, relevant and useful. Not bloody fence painting or styling with fifty million baskets and flimsy shelves.

I know Alex is in the thick of the baby years, but she has been well left behind.

Reactions: 17
I agree with a previous poster about sorting the outdoor tiles before painting the bathroom.

I wouldn’t mind betting they’ve got a professional in to sort out the patio and we’ll never know anything about it.

Reactions: 4
She really needs to get this through her head. People probably comment(ed) on her glasses because she wears massive misfitted ones that don’t suit her. Her cheeks are very puffy and the science-lab style ones just sit on them so awkwardly.

Reactions: 8
Another life long glasses wearer who doesn’t have a chip on her shoulder. 🙋🏻‍♀️

You can’t even tap through the bloody stories as there are so many you’d end up with repetitive strain injury.

A couple of years ago, Erica Davies and Alex had the best eyes on IG for identifying trends, mixing high street and high end fashion, and adding high street trending pieces to their existing wardrobes.

Erica has written a book, has a boot collaboration with John Lewis, has had a couple of furnishing collaborations, is on TV and that’s just what I can think of quickly. Erica also does Sunday Styling that relies on images (No actual clothes required! Frugal! Environmentally conscious!) and she talks through her styling choices, plus she does a great Friday round up. I really look forward to Erica’s stories and as a result I have no problem with her advertisements, particularly as they are usually a good fit for her brand.

That’s the ‘free’ content I want: entertaining, relevant and useful. Not bloody fence painting or styling with fifty million baskets and flimsy shelves.

I know Alex is in the thick of the baby years, but she has been well left behind.
She hasn't been left behind, she's lazy!

Don't blame the baby years either, most women would love to have the extra flexibility she's had being freelance and, regardless of what she puts out on social the finances to take extra time off!

No work ethic that is and will be the failure of her.

Lazy pure and simple.

She hasn't been left behind, she's lazy!

Don't blame the baby years either, most women would love to have the extra flexibility she's had being freelance and, regardless of what she puts out on social the finances to take extra time off!

No work ethic that is and will be the failure of her.

Lazy pure and simple.
At the height of her heyday she wasn’t the least bit lazy. I’m going to cut her some slack because she had a very traumatic loss of twins that she would still be coming to terms with.

However, now is the time to get her brand back on track while she still has a really healthy following.

I really struggle to understand why influencers complain about “juggling” child care and work and AS isn’t the only one by far.

Without remote working I probably wouldn’t have bothered going back to work after mat leave. I work a well paid 9-5 PAYE job but my salary isn’t necessary in the grand scheme of things, the LO’s stuff is more important. But thanks to wfh we can wake up whenever she wants to wake up, have a gentle morning, walk her to nursery (or go to the park beforehand if the weather is lovely), drop her, read / breakfast / skin care, start work, do chores around my day, let workmen and cleaners in, get my post delivered (and take it in for neighbours), if I’m on a company wide call at end of day collect LO early and put it on the tv so we can play and I can listen. I am SO grateful I don’t have the pressure and stress of mums before me who had to get their kids rushed out the door to hit narrow windows of drop off time & specific trains, dreading the x line being down or delays across xyz. My quality of life is brilliant and it’s been such a lovely gentle way to ease back into work, and that’s with a technical and skilled job that requires quality output (that I receive feedback from, no #bekind in the ~corporate world~!). I cannot understand how influencers can complain about it, their work isn’t even challenging? They’re copying and pasting sales spiel into Insta posts? Are they alright?!

Reactions: 14
I think she totally lost momentum when she split the accounts and turned the Frugality into Alexandra Steadman. Neither account had a distinctive identity and seemed a pointless move.

Reactions: 10
She’s insufferable, complaining she has so much on her plate.

People who are genuinely swamped at work and struggling to take on new projects don’t start painting their bathrooms on a Monday morning 🙄

Reactions: 12
She’s insufferable, complaining she has so much on her plate.

People who are genuinely swamped at work and struggling to take on new projects don’t start painting their bathrooms on a Monday morning 🙄
Agreed! painting bathroom is what you do after work or weekend or book a time off from work.

For her the painting of the bathroom is work. She’s found a way to monetise just living her daily life
She’s hit the jackpot and needs to stop whining

Reactions: 9
More glasses content, can that not be reserved for Fridays!
Brain is so stressed, calendar so full, baby sick therefore paints bathroom. Like many others I work in a job where missing deadlines & making mistakes has very serious consequences. That’s stressful. Therefore when I login to Insta I want entertainment, like tips for an autumn capsule wardrobe or nice pictures.

Reactions: 7
More glasses content, can that not be reserved for Fridays!
Brain is so stressed, calendar so full, baby sick therefore paints bathroom. Like many others I work in a job where missing deadlines & making mistakes has very serious consequences. That’s stressful. Therefore when I login to Insta I want entertainment, like tips for an autumn capsule wardrobe or nice pictures.
Yes! We don’t want to see someone moaning about living a life most of us can only dream of.

Reactions: 7
I was trying to figure out why I don't really like her anymore. Was it from reading here or feeling dragged down by her content?

I think I sensed depression when they moved into the crumbling mess of a house and also having the new baby. Even though she was always smiling while endlessly painting or describing another disaster in the house, the combination may have been just too much.

If she is depressed or struggling with low mood/anxiety then I really hope that her friends/family are giving her support and/or she’s getting some help. Obviously she doesn’t owe anyone anything with sharing that sort of thing on social media but agree with others that I get a bit of a negative/angry vibe from her, especially when she seems to only find the negatives in holidays abroad oaks can’t seem to see the advantages of their flexible set up in an expensive city.

Being ‘frugal’ (which I know is a whole other discussion as to how frugal she really is) doesn’t mean you can’t still enjoy life.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.