The Fashion Bug Blog - Laura Wills #2 Being a mama is a slog, lucky there's 4 kids to flog

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She will be earning £150k a year just from instagram, quite possibly more.

Reactions: 2
Someone said upthread her husband earns 750k per year so between them they’re probably earning just under a million. Could easily afford the Chanel and Hermes bags on that, I’d say!

Reactions: 1
So it’s a cycle of promote and spend. I guess my real issue is how can someone think nothing of spending that much on stuff (I couldn’t decide on the colour - buy both!!). The only nod to sustainability is a bit of re-selling. My husband is on the other extreme - loves a frugal life! I was just expecting it to be old money from her side or a hedge fund equity partner. Not a salaried employee.

Someone said upthread her husband earns 750k per year so between them they’re probably earning just under a million. Could easily afford the Chanel and Hermes bags on that, I’d say!
Maybe I am the one who is deluded as I know plenty of people with comparable household incomes and they live nothing like this. One or two designer bags. An extravagant holiday once a year or every two years - otherwise it’s more low key destinations. The rest on school fees, investments or as a buffer in case things don’t go as planned. Never, ever heard of anyone in this bracket spending £40k on a week in the Cotswolds.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
So it’s a cycle of promote and spend. I guess my real issue is how can someone think nothing of spending that much on stuff (I couldn’t decide on the colour - buy both!!). The only nod to sustainability is a bit of re-selling. My husband is on the other extreme - loves a frugal life! I was just expecting it to be old money from her side or a hedge fund equity partner. Not a salaried employee.

Maybe I am the one who is deluded as I know plenty of people with comparable household incomes and they live nothing like this. One or two designer bags. An extravagant holiday once a year or every two years - otherwise it’s more low key destinations. The rest on school fees, investments or as a buffer in case things don’t go as planned. Never, ever heard of anyone in this bracket spending £40k on a week in the Cotswolds.
Did she spend 40k in a week in the cotswolds?
What's the salary of a role like her husbands?
She resells loads of her and the children's clothing so looks like a lot of investment pieces worn a handful of times and sold on quickly. The cost per Wear isn't much when they do that. Makes it look like they have wardrobes bursting when they really don't.
She seems to always use the same bags on repeat so I've not noticed any great bag spends in a long time.

It's all smoke and mirrors. I've read that these bags and outfits can be hired too and didn't she advertise a designer bag hire company last year?

I’m also on holiday in the Indian Ocean atm and have yet to spot anyone lying in the sand for a photo shoot. Having said that, in the evening it’s too hot to wear anything remotely heavier than cotton. Not seen much in the way of cocktail dresses or even designers. It’s all about relaxing 😎

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Did she spend 40k in a week in the cotswolds?
What's the salary of a role like her husbands?
She resells loads of her and the children's clothing so looks like a lot of investment pieces worn a handful of times and sold on quickly. The cost per Wear isn't much when they do that. Makes it look like they have wardrobes bursting when they really don't.
She seems to always use the same bags on repeat so I've not noticed any great bag spends in a long time.

It's all smoke and mirrors. I've read that these bags and outfits can be hired too and didn't she advertise a designer bag hire company last year?
I think salaries do vary widely but my husband has the same role on the same hedging side in a different fund. They get a base salary which is a good professional salary. Bonuses are where the money’s at. They comprise various elements and are impacted by the fund’s performance, your group’s performance and your individual contribution to the bottom line. So yes he’s definitely a high earner but the level of disposable income her spending reflects does not match in my head with a portfolio manager’s salary. He could also have a bad year, his p&l could tank and depending on the ruthlessness of those above him, he’d be out. To me spending can’t just be about immediate affordability. And my husband lives on the other extreme where the measure of success has nothing to do with material objects. His financial prudence does my head in at times and it is a source of tension in our relationship. So each to their own.

Reactions: 7
I’m new here. I’ve searched before for info on the FBB and presumed from its noticeable absence that her vast wealth was also been used to silence any critics. I’m so surprised to hear her backstory and that she is married to a portfolio manager. I cannot work out how this sustains her lifestyle. My husband is one as well and has had consistently good years for a while now but there is no way I could, or would want to, spend our joint finances in the way she does. I’m sure she gets press rates on NAP and Farfetch but not the big players like Hermes and Chanel. It doesn’t make sense to me. The salaries are very high compared to the norm (my husband earns 15x what I do) but I’m gobsmacked that her extreme lifestyle can be sustained on a portfolio manager’s salary and some discounts or freebies.
this. My husband is a trader and yes, he earns well and We are comfortable, I recognise that. But it’s in no way “oh let me just pop in to Chanel whenever I want”.

She is definitely trying to show more of herself and her personality because let’s face it, she had the personality of a clothes hanger before. So you have to give her that.

I think what it boils down to is this: those with real wealth tend to have the nous not to show it off because it is utterly vulgar to do so. They also understand that it is totally foolish to fritter away money, and material possessions are not the key to happiness.
The pity for Laura is that she is stupid and short-term in her outlook. She is looking for instant gratification and the highs of likes and adulation from losers like Flavia Stuttgen. She does not think about the repercussions of posting her ludicrous sand-frolicking pics and kids in bikinis.
Laura and Mark are wealthy, but not noticeably so by West London standards. Friends run hedge funds and you would NEVER know - especially not from their kids, who are dressed in very bog standard clothes. That in itself is deliberate, because they don't want them to become targets. The Wills kids stick out like a sore thumb in their matching white/beige outfits.

Reactions: 5
I think salaries do vary widely but my husband has the same role on the same hedging side in a different fund. They get a base salary which is a good professional salary. Bonuses are where the money’s at. They comprise various elements and are impacted by the fund’s performance, your group’s performance and your individual contribution to the bottom line. So yes he’s definitely a high earner but the level of disposable income her spending reflects does not match in my head with a portfolio manager’s salary. He could also have a bad year, his p&l could tank and depending on the ruthlessness of those above him, he’d be out. To me spending can’t just be about immediate affordability. And my husband lives on the other extreme where the measure of success has nothing to do with material objects. His financial prudence does my head in at times and it is a source of tension in our relationship. So each to their own.
Mine is the same - especially now. We save WAY more than we spend, it can annoy me but we own our house, we can comfortable say send our kids private, and I wear Zara. I’d rather have the financial security any day.

Reactions: 8
And now when I look at her feed I feel sad - sad for her stick thinness, her obsession with material stuff and her desire to portray a lifestyle which is so unreal. And sad for her followers, especially the new mums, who aspire to any of this. I don’t want to come across as patronising but her feed needs to come with a health warning.

My husband is also in hedge/wealth! With school fees, no way could we afford 5/6 luxury holidays (first class travel, staying in exclusive destinations). Mine are a bit older though and secondary schools are hella more!

Also - they rent their house! That makes no sense to me being at the whim of others.. I assume he Invests the money and that gives another income..

Reactions: 5
My husband is also in hedge/wealth! With school fees, no way could we afford 5/6 luxury holidays (first class travel, staying in exclusive destinations). Mine are a bit older though and secondary schools are hella more!

Also - they rent their house! That makes no sense to me being at the whim of others.. I assume he Invests the money and that gives another income..
Is that what she never shows the inside of it? She's obviously decorated it and spent a fortune on wallpaper etc.

Is that what she never shows the inside of it? She's obviously decorated it and spent a fortune on wallpaper etc.
well also because it's not a very nice house. It's a terraced house in a not very nice part of Fulham...Just like Flavia, in fact (although I think she owns hers). Was shocked when I found out where Flavia lives as it really doesn't match up to the kind of wealth she purports to have.

well also because it's not a very nice house. It's a terraced house in a not very nice part of Fulham...Just like Flavia, in fact (although I think she owns hers). Was shocked when I found out where Flavia lives as it really doesn't match up to the kind of wealth she purports to have.
REALLY!!! I always thought she would live in one of those beautiful white houses with the columns outside that are in all her pics. It must be a fairly decent size though, given (I assume) each child has its own bedroom.

• Haha
Yes, her address is very easy to find from a quick companies house Google 😂. I don’t know that area well, as I’m more familiar with Islington than Fulham. But I easily found the sales particulars and was very surprised. My home is bigger and worth lots more. But I can’t afford lots of Hermes bags 😂. It makes no sense what they both spend their money on?

REALLY!!! I always thought she would live in one of those beautiful white houses with the columns outside that are in all her pics. It must be a fairly decent size though, given (I assume) each child has its own bedroom.
We spoke about this on the Flavia thread before and we all thought the same re the beautiful white houses. It’s just a ‘normal’ looking terrace that you see all over the UK!

• Wow
Yes, her address is very easy to find from a quick companies house Google 😂. I don’t know that area well, as I’m more familiar with Islington than Fulham. But I easily found the sales particulars and was very surprised. My home is bigger and worth lots more. But I can’t afford lots of Hermes bags 😂. It makes no sense what they both spend their money on?
What's her company called?

I was reading something about the super fake handbag market and how close they are to the real thing these days. Wouldn’t surprise me if Laura was a fan of a good counterfeit bag especially as everything else in her life is fake. The Chanels she shows are all £5k+ and lots of them have long waiting list or are rare models. I was reading that it’s estimated 1 in 3 designer handbags shown on instagram are fake.

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.