The Depression Thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There's also a few low cost services available too which everyone might not be aware of. Roughly what area are you in? I could recommend a few in London if you wanted.

I would avoid anyone asking for a payment upfront..

My old therapist used to see me for £40 per session which became £44.50 after three years. It was still below his usual £60/70 fee per session. You could also email a few therapists and ask too.

I never used to believe that therapy would work for me, I'm not 100% cured and still have my moments but I'm glad I'm not were I was when I first started.
Oh, how do you find those? I’m up north. All I’ve seen is a free intro session then block book or it’ll be £60-£100 for an hour depending on the therapist. My therapist said he’ll get me some recommendations before he leaves but I’ll have to see how much they charge.

Great to hear it’s working for you 🙂 Sometimes you just need someone to help you put stuff in to perspective. That’s how I approached my sessions, and have made a lot of “holistic progress”. He was fed up of the bureaucracy of the NHS so is going fully private.

Reactions: 1
You will have a purpose even if you can't see it for yourself right now.

There's this book I think people need more in their lives even if it's originally for children.

Do you journal?

For the nausea my mother always swore by ginger. Maybe you could try that. She usually cuts it up and adds it to her tea first thing in the morning.

Are you on any waitlists for therapy?

Any excuse for me to post this:

Play it everyday if you have too. "Do whatever just to stay alive ".

Thank you, I appreciate it a lot ❤ Even knowing somebody cares to reply means so much to me 🥲 I will make sure to check out the videos, and no, journaling or therapy did not work for me in the past. It doesn’t mean I can’t try again though!

• Heart
Thank you, I appreciate it a lot ❤ Even knowing somebody cares to reply means so much to me 🥲 I will make sure to check out the videos, and no, journaling or therapy did not work for me in the past. It doesn’t mean I can’t try again though!
I also used to be an active member of another mental health forum which I did find helpful. They were mainly american but they were always lovely and supportive. We had a couch where we posted daily check ins. I'm usually always around here too.

I know it's hard but keep going. No giving up allowed!

Oh, how do you find those? I’m up north. All I’ve seen is a free intro session then block book or it’ll be £60-£100 for an hour depending on the therapist. My therapist said he’ll get me some recommendations before he leaves but I’ll have to see how much they charge.

Great to hear it’s working for you 🙂 Sometimes you just need someone to help you put stuff in to perspective. That’s how I approached my sessions, and have made a lot of “holistic progress”. He was fed up of the bureaucracy of the NHS so is going fully private.
At the risk of sounding like privileged potato I did therapy for four years. My old therapist did also work for the NHS but left too. I last saw him in september after a 4 month gap and I've been out of the therapy loop since.

This was the list I found:

If you type low cost and your area you should get something.

I 96% of my sessions were online as it saved time traveling and I wasn't in London during term time.

You could have a look here too.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
Hello, I wanted to come back and send you all love. I did a real hit and run on this thread when I was struck with a feeling of panic at how low I was and I didn’t stop to read what other people are going through.

@Sideboard Bob I tried to message you yesterday - I thought because I still see the envelope I maybe could still DM but it wouldn’t let me. The in-between of changing or re-starting is really tough, I hope you’re feeling the benefit soon.

I hope this doesn’t come across as flippant - I know when you’re depressed it’s not a case of “do X and that’ll cheer you up”. But I do get lost in here sometimes and there are a couple of threads that I actually belly laugh at - one is the memes threads (I’m jealous of anyone who hasn’t been before and gets to see them all for the first time 😂) and the other is Cleaning with Mario. Do any of you have any ones you find funny? There’s been a lot of serious stuff in threads I normally dip in and out of a it can get a bit close to home sometimes.

I hope you all have a peaceful week ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Hello, I wanted to come back and send you all love. I did a real hit and run on this thread when I was struck with a feeling of panic at how low I was and I didn’t stop to read what other people are going through.

@Sideboard Bob I tried to message you yesterday - I thought because I still see the envelope I maybe could still DM but it wouldn’t let me. The in-between of changing or re-starting is really tough, I hope you’re feeling the benefit soon.

I hope this doesn’t come across as flippant - I know when you’re depressed it’s not a case of “do X and that’ll cheer you up”. But I do get lost in here sometimes and there are a couple of threads that I actually belly laugh at - one is the memes threads (I’m jealous of anyone who hasn’t been before and gets to see them all for the first time 😂) and the other is Cleaning with Mario. Do any of you have any ones you find funny? There’s been a lot of serious stuff in threads I normally dip in and out of a it can get a bit close to home sometimes.

Omg Lenny 😍 you are so sweet and thoughtful. Thank you. You’re so right, it’s just this in-between bit that’s tough, I need to remember that.
Not flippant at all, again, you’re so thoughtful and I appreciate it so much. I LOVE the memes thread, so many genuine laugh out loud posts there! There’s so many threads I really enjoy here, the Saturday night kitchen has helped me love music again.

I hope you’re doing ok lovely. I think there’s an understanding on this thread that it’s ok to post and run, you have to protect yourself. Wishing you a peaceful week too, and thank you again x

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I also used to be an active member of another mental health forum which I did find helpful. They were mainly american but they were always lovely and supportive. We had a couch where we posted daily check ins. I'm usually always around here too.

I know it's hard but keep going. No giving up allowed!
God, I watched these videos you posted earlier and cried a good deal, but it was the good kind of crying. I needed it. I will check out the forum too, I’m a bit shy to try new things but it looks lovely.

Thank you so much. Honestly, I don’t even know how to express how thankful I am. You are so kind and supportive and have already done more for me than 99% of those who surround me. Knowing there are still people who care about complete Internet strangers restores my faith in humanity.

How are you? ❤ How is everybody else doing?

• Heart
Reactions: 4
all day today i've kinda had that anxious feeling where it feels like your blood is made of iron filings. I hate it so much. I honestly prefer days when I feel low and can't feel anything. I would give anything to "just" have depression if it meant I didn't have to have anxiety

anyway, I'm so glad I have this space to vent ❤

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
I’ve had a bad feeling since New Years and I can’t seem to shake it off. I’m getting bored of spending so much time on my own but I can’t bring myself to do the whole dating app thing. It’s not a good match for me - I can spend so much time dithering over my choices. Each time I say no to someone, it’s saying no to a possible future. Most likely though, it’s saying no to someone who doesn’t or fortunately for them won’t understand anything about my lived experience and perhaps will leave me feeling lonelier than before. It’s happened every time I’ve gone on a date or made friends if I’m being honest. I hate the way it feels. I trust things happen for a reason but it feels like someone is having a laugh.

• Heart
Reactions: 2

I just popped on here to say practically the same thing. These past 2 years tattle has been a god send for me, it's made me laugh through my hardest days, taken my mind slightly off things and been a place to dump my feelings. And people say it's a toxic place full of trolls 🙄
Hope everyone has the best week they can

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I’m 20 and have been struggling with constantly feeling sad since I was around 13. I used to use sh as a release but have managed to stay sober for nearly 9 months now. However I still feel really bad sometimes and struggling to find other ways of coping. My parents found out about it when I was 17 and I went to 2 counselling sessions before stopping because my dad kept shouting at me after for not tell him what I’d talked about. Our relationship is a lot better now and I’ve had the best Christmas and birthday in years. However things he said, and other incidents that caused me to feel down still play on my mind and keep me up at night. Sometimes I’ll just be sitting having a nice evening with my family and I’ll find my mind wondering to things I did and how they reacted. I do wish I could talk to someone but am unsure about how to do so. I still live at home and am a student so rarely leave my house unless it’s for university.
Could you see a counsellor at university? They are very familiar with students struggling with their mental health. You could tell your parents it’s a tutor group so it remains private. It’s actually very controlling and abusive to be demanding that you tell him what you are talking about. Both my kids have had play therapy at school and counselling at CAMHS. Even though they were primary age, I still wasn’t told what they discussed. I understand that as a parent you worry you don’t know what the problems are, but you have to accept it’s private.

Sending love to you

Have you looked at the charity Young Minds? They are excellent apparently.

• Heart
Could you see a counsellor at university? They are very familiar with students struggling with their mental health. You could tell your parents it’s a tutor group so it remains private. It’s actually very controlling and abusive to be demanding that you tell him what you are talking about. Both my kids have had play therapy at school and counselling at CAMHS. Even though they were primary age, I still wasn’t told what they discussed. I understand that as a parent you worry you don’t know what the problems are, but you have to accept it’s private.

Sending love to you

Have you looked at the charity Young Minds? They are excellent apparently.
I’ve started back today so will definitely look into the university services. I will also look into the charity depending on what help I can get through uni. Thank you for your advice.

• Heart
Does anyone have thoughts on how to tell what’s anxiety or depression? I think I might have both, although the one thing I never feel is numb or empty (sometimes wish I did). I’d say I spend a lot of time feeling painfully sad about the past and present or fearful for the future. I know I need to get help, I just worry that my GP will just give me the most basic standard SSRI prescription even if that’s not what I need. Not that I’m a doctor, and they know best, but you know what I mean.

• Heart
Does anyone have thoughts on how to tell what’s anxiety or depression? I think I might have both, although the one thing I never feel is numb or empty (sometimes wish I did). I’d say I spend a lot of time feeling painfully sad about the past and present or fearful for the future. I know I need to get help, I just worry that my GP will just give me the most basic standard SSRI prescription even if that’s not what I need. Not that I’m a doctor, and they know best, but you know what I mean.
I’m in a similar position to you @StillLucilleBluth! I feel like most of my problems are anxiety based. I do have odd moments every few months where I go completely numb and disconnect from everything around me, but I feel like this is when my brain reaches breaking point with the anxiety if that makes sense? Almost like a defence mechanism for all the stress hitting it and it just shuts down and I get really detached from reality and just lie in bed for days.

I know I need to go back to the doctors but I’m worried they’ll just say the anxiety is secondary to depression when I think it’s anxiety that’s the root of my issues! I can’t remember when I last felt normal.

really struggling tonight. Was doing fine all day then last couple hours it has hit me, haven’t self harmed for over a year but running out of options. Have tried all recommended distractions. Have tried texting friends but left on read and they are getting tired of my constant breakdowns. Guy I’m seeing literally just told me he’s going to bed and can’t deal with this. Tried ringing Samaritans and no one answers, which surprised me as I thought someone always answers. Not sure where I turn from here? Feels like every door is closed.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Oh I don’t have much time to properly reply to everyone but I’m here @Pixipoppy. Do you need someone to talk to?
Thank you. I’ve been on hold to them 3 times for over 5 minutes each time and my anxiety can’t take the waiting while it’s just ringing so I’ve given up. Really disappointed at the service, I know they must be struggling with volunteer numbers but literally feels like there’s nowhere to turn.

• Sad
Thank you. I’ve been on hold to them 3 times for over 5 minutes each time and my anxiety can’t take the waiting while it’s just ringing so I’ve given up. Really disappointed at the service, I know they must be struggling with volunteer numbers but literally feels like there’s nowhere to turn.
I’ve never called them but I’ve used the e-mail service in the past and they replied within 24 hours. Is there a film you can watch or maybe a music album/podcast to listen to so you can distract yourself?

I hope you feel better ASAP, we are all here for you ❤

thank you everyone that responded. Unfortunately I did relapse but it wasn’t bad and I’m feeling much better now - currently eating snacks in bed and listening to some music to calm down. Will remember not to let it get to crisis point before trying to get help next time.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.