The Depression Thread

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My antidepressants aren’t working, I’ve been on them a few months, gradually increased the dose and I just feel like a zombie.
It’s so annoying because I’ve used this same medication a couple of years ago and it really helped then. I know I’ll be ok eventually but right now I just feel like I’m back to square one and I’ve lost hope.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
My antidepressants aren’t working, I’ve been on them a few months, gradually increased the dose and I just feel like a zombie.
It’s so annoying because I’ve used this same medication a couple of years ago and it really helped then. I know I’ll be ok eventually but right now I just feel like I’m back to square one and I’ve lost hope.
I have had this happen! Definitely talk to your doctor about changing to a different medication. My Psychiatrist told me recently he has some patients who did not find a specific SSRI helpful in the past sometimes find a few years down the line it is more effective (we were discussing possible medication options for me, including trying a med I had previously not had much luck with!) I think probably it works the other way too?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 1
I eventually spoke to my Dr after stupidly stopping my tablets and he was really nice and understanding, currently on a lower dose to start but the hot flushes are awful (even in this freezing weather).
The past week has been awful, my daughter told my dad she was suicidal and couldn't handle life anymore. I've barely been able to sleep with worry. She won't let me refer her to CAMHS, she said they didn't help last time but thankfully she seems to be improving a little. This is why I need to keep going, I need to be there for my children ❤ not religious but I'm praying for a better year for us and everyone on this thread ❤

• Heart
I’m going through the same thing right now, I know it sucks but I hope you find something that works for you ❤
I eventually spoke to my Dr after stupidly stopping my tablets and he was really nice and understanding, currently on a lower dose to start but the hot flushes are awful (even in this freezing weather).
The past week has been awful, my daughter told my dad she was suicidal and couldn't handle life anymore. I've barely been able to sleep with worry. She won't let me refer her to CAMHS, she said they didn't help last time but thankfully she seems to be improving a little. This is why I need to keep going, I need to be there for my children ❤ not religious but I'm praying for a better year for us and everyone on this thread ❤
That sounds so tough 💔 I too hope this year is better for all of us!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I’m going through the same thing right now, I know it sucks but I hope you find something that works for you ❤
I’m sorry you’re going through the same, it’s so exhausting isn’t it. Thank you so much, I really hope you do too x

I have had this happen! Definitely talk to your doctor about changing to a different medication. My Psychiatrist told me recently he has some patients who did not find a specific SSRI helpful in the past sometimes find a few years down the line it is more effective (we were discussing possible medication options for me, including trying a med I had previously not had much luck with!) I think probably it works the other way too?
Thank you, I didn’t know that but it makes sense, and it’s kind of reassuring x

• Heart
Reactions: 3
My GP has put me back on Citalopram today - I get so paranoid when I have to call the doctor but this particular one is absolutely amazing. She’s signed me off work, told me she’ll extend the sick note if I need it and, most importantly, told me that she trusts me with my mental health management because I’ve proved it to her time and again. That made me cry. Everyone should have a doctor like her. I’ve been so desperate over the last few months it’s been horrendous. Hopefully 2022 will be better for all of us, I really hope so xx

• Heart
My GP has put me back on Citalopram today - I get so paranoid when I have to call the doctor but this particular one is absolutely amazing. She’s signed me off work, told me she’ll extend the sick note if I need it and, most importantly, told me that she trusts me with my mental health management because I’ve proved it to her time and again. That made me cry. Everyone should have a doctor like her. I’ve been so desperate over the last few months it’s been horrendous. Hopefully 2022 will be better for all of us, I really hope so xx
Thank you for this, it’s given me the courage to call my doctors again next week. I’ve been struggling for nine months now with my anxiety and depression but was too scared to call the doctors as I felt as though I wasn’t taken seriously by the last one I saw. But I can’t keep going on like this and taking days off work for panic attacks 😞

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I've been on antidepressants for about a week or so and I am extremely emotionally blunted. I want to cry, I feel it coming but no tears. I'm really struggling with this. I feel so indifferent to everything right now. I've been on all sorts of medication for my mental health since I was 17 but I've never really felt like this. Does it get better?

• Heart
I've been on antidepressants for about a week or so and I am extremely emotionally blunted. I want to cry, I feel it coming but no tears. I'm really struggling with this. I feel so indifferent to everything right now. I've been on all sorts of medication for my mental health since I was 17 but I've never really felt like this. Does it get better?
What are you taking lovely? I was the same when I was first put on fluoxetine, but it has since improved and I am much less numb and can cry. To be honest, I’d rather go back to being numb but that’s another story.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
What are you taking lovely? I was the same when I was first put on fluoxetine, but it has since improved and I am much less numb and can cry. To be honest, I’d rather go back to being numb but that’s another story.
Mirtazapine 15mg - I've noticed I am struggling to express happiness too (not that there's much to be happy about) but I am feeling really frustrated @ not being able to cry because I can feel it coming.

I think I can relate @ 'rather go back to being numb' sometimes it's better to not feel sadly.

Here if you want to vent my dear. 💛

• Heart
Reactions: 4
From my experience, I had to try a few before I found one that helped, you have to give it time for it to work, ( I also changed doctors as the first one prescribed me Amitriptyline, I put on a stone in 2 weeks, not from eating apparently it's a side affect,, his attitude was there's no calories in the tab and to go to Waterstones to buy a book on anxiety and depression) Just try to give them time to work, if not go back to your doctor, hope you feel better soon.

• Heart
  • Sad
I looked up Mirtazapine, and it looks like it can take 4-6 weeks to work. So you may find things change a bit in the next few weeks as you adjust? https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/mirtazapine/

But I have found some ADs left me more 'numb' than others. I cried much less than normal when I was on Venlafaxine - I only realised after I went off it and suddenly was crying at sad adverts etc 😅

That sounds so tough 💔 I too hope this year is better for all of us!
That sounds so tough your an amazing mum keep going ❤ My daughters 16 and struggled so much recently trying to support her in the right way when she doesn’t want referring as she’s just started college is so hard to know what to do for them!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
That sounds so tough your an amazing mum keep going ❤ My daughters 16 and struggled so much recently trying to support her in the right way when she doesn’t want referring as she’s just started college is so hard to know what to do for them!
does her college have any resources available? I know my cousin's did. From my own experience dealing with mental health stuff at her age - I found when my parents just being there was enough sometimes. They were also there to chat if I needed, and when I wanted to seek help were able to be an advocate for me (liaising with the gp/psychologist etc). Being a teenager can really suck, my best wishes to both of you ♥

Does anyone feel like they take one step forward for steps back? I had a good run with my anti-depressants but I’ve realised it doesn’t take much for me to be right at the edge again.

I don’t think I can keep doing this. I come on here and get lost in Tattle because it’s an escape and I log off and my heart sinks because I’m so unhappy and I don’t know what to do.

• Heart
@LennyBriscoe I can’t say I have answers what you can do, that would be the blind leading the blind, but I know being immersed in something I love always makes me feel better. If that’s tattle for you right now, don’t sweat it. You’ll figure out more things. “The Artist’s Way” just came on my radar. It’s helped a lot of people find remove blocks to creativity and finding themselves:

Amazon product

Hoping you feel better soon ❤

Edit: This book is pretty old. There are certainly more affordable copies out there.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Mirtazapine 15mg - I've noticed I am struggling to express happiness too (not that there's much to be happy about) but I am feeling really frustrated @ not being able to cry because I can feel it coming.

I think I can relate @ 'rather go back to being numb' sometimes it's better to not feel sadly.

Here if you want to vent my dear. 💛
I have no experience with Mirtazapine myself, but most side effects should go away after 2-3 months, unfortunately you just have to live through them ☹ I’m here if you need someone to talk or rant to 🥰 And thank you ❤

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My dose has been lowered back to 50mg as bigger doses did not seem to be making any difference, and one of my most hated symptoms is back - nausea. Not the morning kind when you have no appetite, but these cramp-style feeling of wanting to vomit when I feel like my self-hatred is especially bad. I never actually vomit though. There are things that trigger it, nothing physical, just some thoughts and emotions. Does anyone have any experience with that? Please please someone tell me what to try as I just can’t bear it anymore 😖 I’ve tried everything from bigger doses to sports, breathing and tapping exercises and nothing seems to work for me. Being so miserably divided against yourself is such a horrible feeling, I’m only in my early twenties but I’m already considering having my cards or fortune read just to find out if there is any point in me staying alive.

• Heart
I have no experience with Mirtazapine myself, but most side effects should go away after 2-3 months, unfortunately you just have to live through them ☹ I’m here if you need someone to talk or rant to 🥰 And thank you ❤

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My dose has been lowered back to 50mg as bigger doses did not seem to be making any difference, and one of my most hated symptoms is back - nausea. Not the morning kind when you have no appetite, but these cramp-style feeling of wanting to vomit when I feel like my self-hatred is especially bad. I never actually vomit though. There are things that trigger it, nothing physical, just some thoughts and emotions. Does anyone have any experience with that? Please please someone tell me what to try as I just can’t bear it anymore 😖 I’ve tried everything from bigger doses to sports, breathing and tapping exercises and nothing seems to work for me. Being so miserably divided against yourself is such a horrible feeling, I’m only in my early twenties but I’m already considering having my cards or fortune read just to find out if there is any point in me staying alive.
You will have a purpose even if you can't see it for yourself right now.

There's this book I think people need more in their lives even if it's originally for children.

Do you journal?

For the nausea my mother always swore by ginger. Maybe you could try that. She usually cuts it up and adds it to her tea first thing in the morning.

Are you on any waitlists for therapy?

Any excuse for me to post this:

Play it everyday if you have too. "Do whatever just to stay alive ".

• Heart
My therapist is leaving the NHS very soon therefore my treatment ends. I’m trying not to think about it because that hour a week/fortnight does help. I’ve had more than 10 sessions (magic number), but only because I argued the toss. Will feel a loss when he goes. I have to wait up to a year before re-referring because of “therapist dependency” or some crap. Waiting lists will be ridiculous, too. I’m a very productivity-driven person so wouldn’t be complacent with a therapist, but you can’t control the progress you make when you have external factors impeding you implementing steps.

It stinks, but not surprising, private is very expensive and a lot want you to block book (£500 💸 I’m not Tony Soprano). With all the price increases etc. looks like I’ll just have to go it alone for the foreseeable. I’d never want SSRIs, that’s just a personal choice. I don’t mind Diazepam, because a strip will last me months but doctors treat requests for benzos like you’re asking for a line of coke off the examination table 😐

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
My therapist is leaving the NHS very soon therefore my treatment ends. I’m trying not to think about it because that hour a week/fortnight does help. I’ve had more than 10 sessions (magic number), but only because I argued the toss. Will feel a loss when he goes. I have to wait up to a year before re-referring because of “therapist dependency” or some crap. Waiting lists will be ridiculous, too. I’m a very productivity-driven person so wouldn’t be complacent with a therapist, but you can’t control the progress you make when you have external factors impeding you implementing steps.

It stinks, but not surprising, private is very expensive and a lot want you to block book (£500 💸 I’m not Tony Soprano). With all the price increases etc. looks like I’ll just have to go it alone for the foreseeable. I’d never want SSRIs, that’s just a personal choice. I don’t mind Diazepam, because a strip will last me months but doctors treat requests for benzos like you’re asking for a line of coke off the examination table 😐
There's also a few low cost services available too which everyone might not be aware of. Roughly what area are you in? I could recommend a few in London if you wanted.

I would avoid anyone asking for a payment upfront..

My old therapist used to see me for £40 per session which became £44.50 after three years. It was still below his usual £60/70 fee per session. You could also email a few therapists and ask too.

I never used to believe that therapy would work for me, I'm not 100% cured and still have my moments but I'm glad I'm not were I was when I first started.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.