The Depression Thread #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Look at me and youā€™ll see fresh hair, waxed brows and manicured nails but my head is a whole other story.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Took one for the team and had a shower.

Donā€™t feel any better! Just feel more knackered.

Save yourselves the energy and donā€™t bother xx

Edit to add I didnā€™t even contemplate washing my hair. It just got shoved up high out the way.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Took one for the team and had a shower.

Donā€™t feel any better! Just feel more knackered.

Save yourselves the energy and donā€™t bother xx

Edit to add I didnā€™t even contemplate washing my hair. It just got shoved up high out the way.
Good on you ā¤ I'm thinking about it but really can't be bothered! As for hair washing, I've always hated washing it, I leave it go for as long as poss and also put it up.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
What to do for burnout from work? šŸ˜”
Is work the only factor, or are there other things adding to it?

Are you able to take some time off?

I reached a point where I was (finally) signed off, long after my GP first wanted to. I kept refusing, saying I was okay and work was what was keeping me goingā€¦ Actually it was masking how badly I was coping overall.

Taking time off felt alien to me, but it was necessary.

If you feel able to, you need to do it xx

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I just want to pop in and send big hugs to everyone on here. I think feeling down can be particularly hard when SM is bombarding us with images of people living up summer, their holidays etc.

In terms of washing, it was the biggest bone of contention when I was at my worst. Each day ended with an argument about whether I had washed, changed, cleaned. After a few days I was forced into the shower (always at night with the light off). The cycle then started again.

I also want to express my sadness at how posters can come in and tell people to ā€œshake their life upā€. If it was that easy, would we be here? Would we be cycling through different drugs trying just to get through each day? Would a science teacher be so out of it with their desperate thoughts that they set their microwave on fire but really DGAS? How many of us have (or had- in my case for the first ) successful careers, happy family lives, friends? Depression isnā€™t here because we choose to ruminate. It strikes without warning for numerous reasons and it can lift (or not) without warning for numerous reasons.

Sorry to go on- you are all so strong. ā¤

• Heart
Reactions: 11
@Into_the_tunnel i absolutely agree, I find the posts about ā€˜why donā€™t you just xyzā€™ infuriating and I have to ignore them. Itā€™s not as simple as changing jobs when you canā€™t even manage to get out of bed.

Your comments about washing - Iā€™m not sure whether you had an internal argument with yourself, or if it was someone elseā€¦ Iā€™m so sorry if it was someone else. Iā€™m sure they thought they were helping, but thatā€™s not the way to support, is it šŸ˜”

Weā€™re always here if you need us, even if youā€™re avoiding SM xx

• Heart
Reactions: 6
@Into_the_tunnel i absolutely agree, I find the posts about ā€˜why donā€™t you just xyzā€™ infuriating and I have to ignore them. Itā€™s not as simple as changing jobs when you canā€™t even manage to get out of bed.

Your comments about washing - Iā€™m not sure whether you had an internal argument with yourself, or if it was someone elseā€¦ Iā€™m so sorry if it was someone else. Iā€™m sure they thought they were helping, but thatā€™s not the way to support, is it šŸ˜”

Weā€™re always here if you need us, even if youā€™re avoiding SM xx
Thank you. It was someone else. It is fine ā¤ I think, looking back on it, after 4 or 5 days of not leaving the house/bed/sofa each time I needed to be clean. I never felt better though. Ever. Why would I care about something being clean when I didnā€™t care about that thing in the first place? Which, if you havenā€™t been there, canā€™t be understood.
Xxx

• Heart
Thank you. It was someone else. It is fine ā¤ I think, looking back on it, after 4 or 5 days of not leaving the house/bed/sofa each time I needed to be clean. I never felt better though. Ever. Why would I care about something being clean when I didnā€™t care about that thing in the first place? Which, if you havenā€™t been there, canā€™t be understood.
Xxx
Yes, itā€™s so hard to explain to someone. I would never have understood it, before I was in it xx

• Heart
I think there are some people who donā€™t understand the difference between feeling a bit down, and actually suffering from depression. When I donā€™t have depression I can easily cheer myself up, see things in a positive way etc, but just now I literally canā€™t, itā€™s how I know itā€™s genuinely an illness.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Things like changing job / going travelling / going on a spontaneous weekend away alone are so far beyond what Iā€™m capable of, that I canā€™t even process the thoughts needed to begin to think about them!

To get into the shower this morning was such a long process, I was exhausted before Iā€™d even turned on the water.
4 years ago if youā€™d told me that, Iā€™d have had no way to understand that difficulty.

Edit to add I think thatā€™s why I posted here in the first place yesterday about not knowing when Iā€™d last showered etc. - because I desperately needed someone to tell me I wasnā€™t alone, and I knew that I wasnā€™t the only one to be feeling that. I hoped it might make someone else feel less alone, too ā¤

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
Things like changing job / going travelling / going on a spontaneous weekend away alone are so far beyond what Iā€™m capable of, that I canā€™t even process the thoughts needed to begin to think about them!

To get into the shower this morning was such a long process, I was exhausted before Iā€™d even turned on the water.
4 years ago if youā€™d told me that, Iā€™d have had no way to understand that difficulty.

Edit to add I think thatā€™s why I posted here in the first place yesterday about not knowing when Iā€™d last showered etc. - because I desperately needed someone to tell me I wasnā€™t alone, and I knew that I wasnā€™t the only one to be feeling that. I hoped it might make someone else feel less alone, too ā¤
I really felt for you when you posted that last night, but you definitely made a lot of us feel less alone, and yourself.

I know what you mean about things changing job/travelling. Thereā€™s so much Iā€™d love to do. I get so frustrated with myself because I should feel lucky that Iā€™m physically able to. Mentally itā€™s a different story though.

I honestly think it is possible for things to get better for all of us, in time.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.