The Death Penalty

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yes because in America hardly anyone on death row is actually killed because of this stupid appeals process!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It’s not a deterrent because for the majority they are never killed, they spend 30 odd years living a comfortable life in jail with full access to TVs/internet/games consoles/food/healthcare etc etc
4% on Death Row are innocent, you clearly do not care about the fact that 4% of the people are getting put to death.

Reactions: 1
So, we would have hung the Guildford Four and the Birmingham Six, they had a fair trial, that would be okay with you, despite them being innocent. Where do you draw the line? Who do you kill? Do you only kill someone, then leave the others? Or kill all?

Also the football Ched Evans, would be dead, because he was found guilty of rape, which ended up being false.
Bringing up cases from 40 odd years ago isn’t relevant

• Haha
Reactions: 2
I am extremely anti-death penalty. It’s not for the state to take a life, no matter what the crime is. It’s beyond barbaric.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Yes because in America hardly anyone on death row is actually killed because of this stupid appeals process!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It’s not a deterrent because for the majority they are never killed, they spend 30 odd years living a comfortable life in jail with full access to TVs/internet/games consoles/food/healthcare etc etc
With the death penalty in place, the Guildford Four and the Birmingham Six would be dead, despite being innocent, giving a fair trial and botched evidence, should they have been killed?

Bringing up cases from 40 odd years ago isn’t relevant
No, it's not. It's proving a point that despite a fair trial, the wrong person can get found guilty.

Reactions: 6
Pro's and con's of state execustion is hardly light hearted chat now is it :rolleyes:
I have replied - I just meant I am here for a friendly discussion - just didn't choose my words correctly! Topics like this can get heated.

No need for eyeroll emoji.

Reactions: 3
With the death penalty in place, the Guildford Four and the Birmingham Six would be dead, despite being innocent, giving a fair trial and botched evidence, should they have been killed?

No, it's not. It's proving a point that despite a fair trial, the wrong person can get found guilty.
It was 40 something years ago.
We have come a long way with regard to police investigations, collection of evidence, forensics etc

Reactions: 2
Interesting topic and I’m not particularly one way or the other.

Death penalty appears to work well as a deterrent in some countries such as China and Singapore which are incredibly safe, yet not so much in others.

I’d be for death penalty if it’s 100% certain that the person being executed committed said crime and even then the crime would have to be proven to be one of an act of unprovoked cruelty. I mean, I don’t think someone who kills someone who tried to kill their family deserves that.

About the death penalty being more expensive than a life sentence, are we talking the penalty itself or death row? Surely the penalty itself is not as costly.

Some of these comments are ludicrous and show a complete lack of understanding for how the legal system operates.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
Some of these comments are ludicrous and show a complete lack of understanding for how the legal system operates.
And some people here trying to say that child rapists deserve to have their human rights upheld are also ridiculous.

And some people here trying to say that child rapists deserve to have their human rights upheld are also ridiculous.
Or the fact that we think killing doesn't do anything, it doesn't bring the victims back or ease their suffering. It's not about justice, it's about revenge. Killing someone, they're dead, like that. Having someone locked in jail, knowing they can never leave is better sense of justice.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Not one person has defended child rapists, as you keep trying to suggest. Stop being ridiculous.

Believing in human rights being inalienable and applying to all (as the law currently states) is not ridiculous.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Not one person has defended child rapists, as you keep trying to suggest. Stop being ridiculous.

Believing in human rights being inalienable and applying to all (as the law currently states) is not ridiculous.
Yes exactly this. Human rights are for everyone, not 'only people we like and who behave in a way we agree with'. Otherwise there would be no point.
Could not be rolling my eyes harder at the comments criticising appeals existing either, I'm sure if anyone here was wrongly convicted of a crime you'd be very very glad you can appeal. Juries are not infallible.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Interesting topic and I’m not particularly one way or the other.

Death penalty appears to work well as a deterrent in some countries such as China and Singapore which are incredibly safe, yet not so much in others.

I’d be for death penalty if it’s 100% certain that the person being executed committed said crime and even then the crime would have to be proven to be one of an act of unprovoked cruelty. I mean, I don’t think someone who kills someone who tried to kill their family deserves that.

About the death penalty being more expensive than a life sentence, are we talking the penalty itself or death row? Surely the penalty itself is not as costly.
China uses the death sentence for drug trafficking and corruption, do you honestly think a country like China gives me people a fair trial. What is their definition of corruption, someone who doesn't like the government.

Reactions: 9
A person who rapes a child or someone who is a serial killer should not be given any human rights and frankly if people here think otherwise than duck me, I’m done.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
Yes exactly this. Human rights are for everyone, not 'only people we like and who behave in a way we agree with'. Otherwise there would be no point.
Could not be rolling my eyes harder at the comments criticising appeals existing either, I'm sure if anyone here was wrongly convicted of a crime you'd be very very glad you can appeal. Juries are not infallible.
If there is solid unwavering evidence of the crime being committed then why would we allow an appeal?

• Haha
Reactions: 1