The Death Penalty

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Some people are taking things to far now. This is why I stated I wanted a friendly topic.
I was not once rude to anyone and did not judge their character so to accuse me of being a bad person is uncalled for.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Dangerous and illogical game to try to ‘other’ people who commit serious crimes like that. He is human. Just like you. Just like me. Like it or not, it is a fact. His behaviour was abhorrent but we cannot just pretend that he isn’t human because he has committed horrific crimes. The more we do this, support the idea of an inhuman ‘monster’, the more we in a way, excuse and allow the behaviours. By creating this sub-species of ‘monster’ we (society) wash our hands of any responsibility we may have to observe, protect, prevent or rehabilitate and so enable the conditions that create these individuals to thrive.
A THOUSAND TIMES THIS

let’s concentrate on the causes of crime, how criminals are let down long before they commit crime, and what kind of society WE WANT. One with low crime, not one with brutal prisons and government mandated murder.

I can’t believe one poster has already suggested we should be like China. CHINA. bleeping hell.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I said he shouldn't be given the option. Not that a doctor should refuse him, which you accused me of.
Is that not one and the same though? Not giving him the option (because we as a state decide not to) is the same as a doctor refusing to treat him. Not matter how you word it, the outcome is the same.

Reactions: 3
Is that not one and the same though? Not giving him the option (because we as a state decide not to) is the same as a doctor refusing to treat him. Not matter how you word it, the outcome is the same.
Yes it is the same. Prisons have in house medics, for a prisoner to be diagnosed with COVID they must've already been seen by a doctor. Once that has happened, there is surely a duty of care between the doctor and the prisoner. To stop treating them after that point is not justifiable. Unless this poster is suggesting prisoners should receive no medical care at all, I don't see this whole 'just don't treat the COVID' thing working in practice.

how criminals are let down long before they commit crime
Paedophilia is a great example of this, I keep seeing people saying paedophiles deserve the death penalty. But what do we do to pre-empt their offending? Nothing. It's a waiting game, once they offend it's dealt with legally - is that good enough? I don't think so, nor is it fair for the children they offend. I suggest a read of this great article: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/oct/16/how-germany-treats-paedophiles-before-they-offend

@BettyCrocker while accusing people of not being able to debate I note you haven't responded to my answer to you re appeals, I would be interested to know what you think.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
It depends on the crime. Ian Brady should have been executed.
In hindsight yes.

Bit with Ian in particular, he apparently had said on more than one occasion that he was going to lead the police to Keith Bennet’s body.

How awful that his mother died without ever being able to lay him to rest.
A THOUSAND TIMES THIS

let’s concentrate on the causes of crime, how criminals are let down long before they commit crime, and what kind of society WE WANT. One with low crime, not one with brutal prisons and government mandated murder.

I can’t believe one poster has already suggested we should be like China. CHINA. bleeping hell.
I’ve missed that. Was it deleted?

Reactions: 2
Imagine giving the government free reign to decide who gets medical treatment, and not expecting them to use it on the old and disabled people.

In hindsight yes.

Bit with Ian in particular, he apparently had said on more than one occasion that he was going to lead the police to Keith Bennet’s body.

No, I think it's still there. China has 46 crimes that are punishable by death, they go from treason to robbery.

• Heart
In hindsight yes.

You mentioned it at 1.27pm. Was the intention not to show a country with the death penalty and a low crime rate?

I don't think anyone has said that about the elderly or disabled? I would hope that is not the case.
How would you stop them once the laws are in place?

I don't think anyone has said that about the elderly or disabled? I would hope that is not the case.
I didn't say they did.. But allowing the government to deny access to criminals is where it can start. Serial killers are psychopaths, they would fit in with the mentally disabled category.

The point is that if the government says prisoners ought not receive medical treatment where do you draw the line? We live in a society where Lord Sumption told a woman dying of terminal cancer to her face, on national television, that her life was less valuable and he felt that was a perfectly fine thing to do. If we start with prisoners where does it stop?

I think this is the point that's being made. You can't differentiate between members in society. Some criminals (who have committed the worst crimes) would also fall into the elderly or disabled category. Unfortunately you can't pick.

I didn't say they did.. But allowing the government to deny access to criminals is where it can start. Serial killers are psychopaths, they would fit in with the mentally disabled category.
Oh right! I get you. Yes I know, with my opinions there are a lot of 'ifs and buts' I know that. It's a complicated subject.

Yes it is the same. Prisons have in house medics, for a prisoner to be diagnosed with COVID they must've already been seen by a doctor. Once that has happened, there is surely a duty of care between the doctor and the prisoner. To stop treating them after that point is not justifiable. Unless this poster is suggesting prisoners should receive no medical care at all, I don't see this whole 'just don't treat the COVID' thing working in practice.

Paedophilia is a great example of this, I keep seeing people saying paedophiles deserve the death penalty. But what do we do to pre-empt their offending? Nothing. It's a waiting game, once they offend it's dealt with legally - is that good enough? I don't think so, nor is it fair for the children they offend. I suggest a read of this great article: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/oct/16/how-germany-treats-paedophiles-before-they-offend

@BettyCrocker while accusing people of not being able to debate I note you haven't responded to my answer to you re appeals, I would be interested to know what you think.
I agree and think we’d be much better off trying to prevent these things happening in the first place. It’s one thing killing someone after they commit a crime but what use is that to the victim really, all a bit too little too late.

Reactions: 5
I mean with the Tory government track record on disabled people since 2010, I'd not risk a chance of them having that power. They've already legally killed many disabled people.

• Heart
Reactions: 4

I agree and think we’d be much better off trying to prevent these things happening in the first place. It’s one thing killing someone after they commit a crime but what use is that to the victim really, all a bit too little too late.
I do believe that as a society we breed monsters. More work does need to be put into preventing crimes but where would you even start? I also agree with people here who’ve said prison should be much tougher than it is.

Reactions: 8
Yes and people always scoff at this idea and think it's some kind of lefty 'let's help the criminals' concept but the whole point is that by preventing crime there are fewer victims. It's symbiotic. To be clear, I have zero sympathy for paedophiles who offend. However, I do think it must be a horrific life to know that's what you are, have the urge and nowhere to go for treatment or help for fear of being locked up even just by telling someone. How many children could be saved from paedophilia if we did something preventative for these people? I'm not suggesting it's easy, there's some research suggesting child dolls etc help and some suggesting that makes paedophiles crave 'the real thing' even more so I don't know what the answer is, but I definitely don't think the answer is 'wait and hope they don't offend'.

Oh right! I get you. Yes I know, with my opinions there are a lot of 'ifs and buts' I know that. It's a complicated subject.
You're right, it's very complicated. It's also an emotive subject which provokes people to have very passionate views. Unfortunately sometimes the emotion and passion behind those views can make it difficult to see past what you think or feel (hence the mass debate on here this afternoon!)

It's difficult to separate those emotions from fact and logic, which I think is why sometimes posts made on subjects like this can be easily misunderstood or twisted.

You're right, it's very complicated. It's also an emotive subject which provokes people to have very passionate views. Unfortunately sometimes the emotion and passion behind those views can make it difficult to see past what you think or feel (hence the mass debate on here this afternoon!)

It's difficult to separate those emotions from fact and logic, which I think is why sometimes posts made on subjects like this can be easily misunderstood or twisted.
Yes completely! We all have different opinions and the world would be boring if we didn't.

I knew an argument would break out. I don't think anyone here is any better or worse for our opinions but at least it didn't get too out of hand!

I am actually writing to someone serving a life sentence

Why not just reform the prison system. Decrimalise drugs and freeing up the spaces that are used for drug trafficking, fill those spaces with rapists, sex offenders and nonce. Remove their luxury items, make them work, produce goods and services in the prison while manufacturing items that the general public can use.

Reactions: 4
That’s interesting. Despite my interest in the criminal justice system and passion for left behind communities I would find it horrendous to voluntarily communicate with a high risk prisoner. On an individual basis, I could not care less about them.