The Daily Mail

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The Daily Mail comment section, is the place that I discoved Tattle, and I've been here ever since.

Things that really irritate me about the DM are -
Referring to The Princess of Wales, as Kate Middleton.

Their recently revamped comments section.

Another recent edition is the Daily Mail+ articles, you have to pay a subscription fee to read them. I posted a comment on one of these articles, that I wasn't prepared to pay to read any of their articles. Surprisingly it was published, and got a lot of green arrows!

Occasionally, just occasionally the DM publish interesting, well researched articles. But you have to sift through mountains of dross to find them. These articles are usually centred on genuine celebrities, with long lasting careers.
Perhaps they really can't be bothered to write proper articles, about modern celebrity culture.

Reactions: 5
How have they changed the comments section?
I hate the M+ articles. I see something I’d read and then realise nope - have to pay for it. I wonder how many people pay for newspaper subscriptions online like this.

Reactions: 1
I hate the M+ articles. I see something I’d read and then realise nope - have to pay for it. I wonder how many people pay for newspaper subscriptions online like this.
I went on Press Reader online through my local library account to read these articles. 😁
That's if there was anything I particularly wanted to put myself out to read. 😀

Reactions: 3
They just changed the layout but I found the old version easier to read. Also, now they ask you take rate this conversation ... They don't need to ask, it's toxic, always toxic 🤣

It will be interesting to see how many people take up a subscription for M+.

Reactions: 1
I sometimes read the Daily Mail online, not because I agree with most of their articles but because I believe in reading material that you know you may not agree with. I don't understand people who say they'd never read any articles by a particular newspaper but still go on to criticise it.

How can you criticise something if you never read it, or if you refuse to expose yourself to its content? I find echo chambers odd.

I find some of the DM unintentionally hilarious. They sometimes churn out articles about the most mundane things and manage to write loads of words about very little. They know their main audience and cater to it. I expect lots of DM contributors don't even agree with half the stuff they type, but a pay cheque is a pay cheque.

I sometimes read the Daily Mail online, not because I agree with most of their articles but because I believe in reading material that you know you may not agree with. I don't understand people who say they'd never read any articles by a particular newspaper but still go on to criticise it.

How can you criticise something if you never read it, or if you refuse to expose yourself to its content? I find echo chambers odd.

I find some of the DM unintentionally hilarious. They sometimes churn out articles about the most mundane things and manage to write loads of words about very little. They know their main audience and cater to it. I expect lots of DM contributors don't even agree with half the stuff they type, but a pay cheque is a pay cheque.
Exactly. I tend to go to the DM as my first port of call to see what the headlines are and the sidebar of shame but I actually get my news from all different sources. I don't agree with a lot the DM publishes but I don't agree with a lot that The Guardian publishes either but I still read their articles.

I used to love the magazines at the weekend that came with the DM but I haven't bought a physical copy for years. Do they still do them?

N.B .... Just reading about bin collections ... glad I don't live in Bristol. 13 recycling thingy's. I can just about manage 3.

Reactions: 4
I think the DM fills a gap in the news market in terms of quantity and variety. You can check BBC news and it feels like the same 20 articles are on their page all week, with not much variety. Same for Sky News etc.

Yes the DM has a lot of trashy showbiz news that may not be of interest to everyone but the sheer quantity and variety of news on there is why I keep checking it every few days, they are often first to break news if something major has happened. E.g. when a major incident happens they seem to have more pictures and updates that the others.

They do however need to start spell checking and stop using the same phrases like "leggy display" and also stop telling us the price of someone's house when that has nothing to do with the article :LOL: And their website with the pop up videos and ads is infuriating sometimes but when something happens, they are often ON IT with the details.

I think the DM fills a gap in the news market in terms of quantity and variety. You can check BBC news and it feels like the same 20 articles are on their page all week, with not much variety. Same for Sky News etc.

Yes the DM has a lot of trashy showbiz news that may not be of interest to everyone but the sheer quantity and variety of news on there is why I keep checking it every few days, they are often first to break news if something major has happened. E.g. when a major incident happens they seem to have more pictures and updates that the others.

They do however need to start spell checking and stop using the same phrases like "leggy display" and also stop telling us the price of someone's house when that has nothing to do with the article :LOL: And their website with the pop up videos and ads is infuriating sometimes but when something happens, they are often ON IT with the details.
I like that the BBC has 'serious' news articles and -- while many will disagree with this -- they do seem to verify their stories. The tabloids don't seem to care as much about verification, probably because they want to get their articles out more quickly. Hence the use of phrases with non-verifiable 'sources' like "an insider revealed" or "a source close to the pair confirmed".

Their articles effectively seem to use a template that they just need to insert the celebrity's name into to get the articles out quickly. Once you've read a few it's easy to emulate. For example: "A busty (female celeb name here) turned heads as she stepped out in (insert location). The stunner wore (clothing A) teamed with (clothing B) as she frolicked in the surf, stunning onlookers", etc etc. 😂

I bet they have a right laugh at some of the dross they churn out because they're not thick but they seem to think a lot of their readers are.

• Haha
'pours her curves' is my favourite daily mail-ism. As if women create themselves from resin each morning.
1708949826063.png

• Haha
Reactions: 13
That's a good one. A few others are: "hunky beau", "eye-popping display" and "sparked outrage".
My paticular annoying repetitive phrases are

Insert celebrities name "breaks cover"
Or "is seen for the first time since"
Or even breaks their silence!
And the most irritating of all, is insert celebrities names, "welcomes a son/daughter!

Reactions: 4
My particular favourite is 'smooth visage' ... who the hell issues 'visage' on a daily basis part from the French and fans of '80's synth pop bands?

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I like it when they say a female celebrity ‘takes her bump for a walk’. Like she can take it off and leave it somewhere when she wants 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 9
My particular favourite is 'smooth visage' ... who the hell issues 'visage' on a daily basis part from the French and fans of '80's synth pop bands?
Agreed. Or 'derriere' for bum.

I think they come up with different words so they don't repeat the same ones, but it just sounds comical.

They also dumb down some words, like calling scientists "boffins". 😂

Reactions: 3