The Crown - Netflix

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Finally finished the series. Didn’t mind it that much but can’t see myself rushing to watch it again.

I might not have been concentrating but the actress playing Sophie Wessex was she just in one scene (the birthday one with the fish) with no lines at all?

Reactions: 2
Finally finished the series. Didn’t mind it that much but can’t see myself rushing to watch it again.

I might not have been concentrating but the actress playing Sophie Wessex was she just in one scene (the birthday one with the fish) with no lines at all?
I'm not minding it either, but haven't finished it, whereas seasons 1 and 2 I binge watched the whole thing, and then watched it again more slowly.

I’ve watched up to episode 7 but now taking a break. It’s just not drawing me in in the same way as previously.
I’m finding I’m watching other things instead.

Reactions: 5
not specifically about the crown more the diana and charles dymanic in general - even though she was upper class / aristocracy, I *could not* imagine marrying a 32 year old heir to the throne at 20 and giving birth to another heir at 21? that kind of explains the fact she saw william more as a friend to confide in than a son to raise. the institution was raising him to be a king and she didn't yet have the chance to be an adult herself, let alone a mother.

the lack of older actresses doesn't help the queen / queen mother casting, combined with the fact later series are within memory. there's not many 70+ year olds that are still working that even look like the queen, and are then able to capture her mannerisms etc

Reactions: 9
Back in the early 90s I worked in a small political think tank in central London and John Major came in for a meeting. Afterwards many of the ladies were having the vapours over him - unexpectedly they found him sexy. They said in person he was different to his public persona. These ladies weren't easy pushovers either - they were quite used to the likes of Peter Lilley, Cecil Parkinson and Michael Heseltine.:)
I always remember reading an interview with Sue Townsend. She said she saw John major (before he was prime minister) on the tv, looking around confused and thought “that’s Adrian mole”!

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I believe that was meant to be her. They didn’t give lines to Fergie or Prince Edward this series either. Found it awkward in the first series they didn’t give any lines to Anthony Eden’s wife even though she was in quite a few scenes!

Just catching up on the new series, not sure who did the casting, they should be shot.

Philip- far too old and short.

• Haha
Finished this series and all I can summon is it was alright. Not a patch on series 1&2, but not as dire as 4.

I found the ending very lackluster, it was a strange place to stop.

They handled Penny, panorama and Diana/ William relationship very well I thought.

Reactions: 6
I found the ending very lackluster, it was a strange place to stop.

They handled Penny, panorama and Diana/ William relationship very well I thought.
I didn’t even realise I had finished the whole series tbh. Sat down expecting another episode at least, but no. It was over. 🤷‍♀️

I haven't watched as I was saving it for Christmas but I'm increasingly thinking I'll not bother

Reactions: 1
I didn’t even realise I had finished the whole series tbh. Sat down expecting another episode at least, but no. It was over. 🤷‍♀️
That's what I did. In fact I fell asleep half way through the last episode, so just went to bed, then the next day went to watch the next episode but it had finished! No crescendo, or even anything interesting enough to stop me nodding off. And I never fall asleep at the telly. Couldn't even be bothered to rewatch the bits I slept through. Really disappointing to be honest. I'll still watch the next series, but it needs to step up its game a bit

That episode with all the other divorcing couples was tedious.

Aside from Camilla and Diana, I wasn’t convinced by any of the casting.

That episode with all the other divorcing couples was tedious.

Aside from Camilla and Diana, I wasn’t convinced by any of the casting.
They could have just shown one couple telling their story and it would have got the point across just fine.

I find the whole anti Camilla sentiment blaming her for the marriage breakdown very strange. You see alot of it on FB mostly from Americans too which is even stranger. Suppose that episode was trying to highlight marriages breakdown. The royal denial of it within their own family until the queens childrens generation till then was ill representing of a progressive England.

I'm going through a divorce and that divorce episode with the Queen being unsupportive and implying they were failures for getting divorced really rubbed me the wrong way, especially when her own husband was off (carriage?) riding Penny 🤣

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
I'm going through a divorce and that divorce episode with the Queen being unsupportive and implying they were failures for getting divorced really rubbed me the wrong way, especially when her own husband was off (carriage?) riding Penny 🤣
I think the was the attitude of the RF before this though. Infidelity wasn't a reason for divorce, as long as you were discreet. Pennys husband ran off with someone else and left her to run the estate, then came slinking back years later, and they are still husband and wife evenbthough she lived with Phil for 5 years!

I forgot I hadn’t finished the series and had 3 episodes left, that’s how bored I must have been. The Martin Bashir episode was ok but the last 2 were tedious.

Reactions: 1
I watched the last episode and know what everyone means. I know they were building up to Diana's death, but God that was a tedious last episode! I feel like watching seasons 1 and 2 again!