The Crown - Netflix

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Like many others I wasn't glued to this season compared with the others. I think part of it was because I was aware of the royal family at that stage in the past. I'm between William and Harry in age. Whereas the previous seasons I found more interesting because it was stuff I hadn't been aware of. In this season I found the Mou Mou episode interesting as to how Al Fayed came to Britain. Growing up myself I'd have know of Diana as being the "People's Princess" - this beautiful willowy blonde, mother to the future king of England, a fashion icon, a charity supporter and human rights activist. Anything I'd ever watched or read about her always seemed to me to portray her in a positive light, mistreated by the royal family. It was strange yet interesting to see a different side to her. Or maybe it's because I'm older now. And in the same thread Charles and Camilla story seemed different to what I remembered, I was actually rooting for them. Prince Philip's character seemed different to what I remember growing up - I'd thought he was old, cantankerous and rude. But in this series he seemed interesting, educated and protective of the Queen.
Mostly I liked the actors. The actor playing Diana did overplay the puppy dog eyes.

Reactions: 6
  • Haha
Reactions: 1
I flew through them earlier. They were fine I guess although not very memorable. The last one broke me a bit though, I thought it was very well done. I don’t understand breaking them up though? Is the second part of the series next month also short?

Reactions: 3
I flew through them earlier. They were fine I guess although not very memorable. The last one broke me a bit though, I thought it was very well done. I don’t understand breaking them up though? Is the second part of the series next month also short?
It is strange to do 4 and then 6. From what I have read, the first 4 are a Dianafest. (I never liked her; I suspect I'm going to have to watch Christopher Hitchens' The Mourning After immediately afterwards.) So two possibilities come to mind - 1. that they want a break so that the jump from Dianafest to Camillafest doesn't seem as jarring, or 2. this is Netflix's Crown jewel and they want to spread it out to ensure good viewing figures for November and December, because they really do go for quantity over quality - and the quality of The Crown has declined so much I have vertigo - so I can't be the only one thinking of cancelling my subscription after the last episode.

Reactions: 8
First two series were great! But the ones afterwards have been terrible, I’m in no rush to see these.
The review I read spoiler the ghost of Diana makes it sound bleeping awful and soapy and so bad.

The show has never been the same since the end of season 2. And The Diana Show has made it get worse and worse.

Reactions: 5
Yep the first two series where excellent Claire Foy was the Queen, hated Olivia Coleman hope I don’t get lynched but thought she was terrible but flavour of the month she was not sure if still is as I don’t watch much tv.

Reactions: 12
The review I read spoiler the ghost of Diana makes it sound bleeping awful and soapy and so bad.

The show has never been the same since the end of season 2. And The Diana Show has made it get worse and worse.
Re: THAT spoiler. I hated the idea of it but it actually isn’t that bad and it adds a warmth to the last episode that I wasn’t expecting.
---
It is strange to do 4 and then 6. From what I have read, the first 4 are a Dianafest. (I never liked her; I suspect I'm going to have to watch Christopher Hitchens' The Mourning After immediately afterwards.) So two possibilities come to mind - 1. that they want a break so that the jump from Dianafest to Camillafest doesn't seem as jarring, or 2. this is Netflix's Crown jewel and they want to spread it out to ensure good viewing figures for November and December, because they really do go for quantity over quality - and the quality of The Crown has declined so much I have vertigo - so I can't be the only one thinking of cancelling my subscription after the last episode.
Very possibly. It is Dianafest but that was always coming. The more it’s come into discussing modern history the worse the production has been.

The man who plays Charles absolutely killed it this season though I will give it that.

Reactions: 4

There's probably a thesis in how the decline in the scriptwriting reflects the monarchy's decline from the reverence of Empire to tampons and squidgy and toe-sucking I adored the first two seasons not because of nostalgia for Empire (being Irish and all :ROFLMAO: ) but for the exquisite style of the houses, cars, frocks, the Britannia... it was such a feast for the eyes. The 80s, on the other hand, are as tacky-lookin' as I remember, and the scripts seem to have been sent in by fax by a hungover work experience kid.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Yep the first two series where excellent Claire Foy was the Queen, hated Olivia Coleman hope I don’t get lynched but thought she was terrible but flavour of the month she was not sure if still is as I don’t watch much tv.
I like Olivia Colman as an actress in general, but she was so wrong for The Queen role.

• Heart
Reactions: 9