The Chateau Diaries #90 They have no freaking idea what they're doing

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Still I am thankful that I am not in the US.
I'm pretty "greatful" to live in the US. As much as we get wrong, and equal healthcare for all is a biggie, there's a lot more that we get right. Contributing to the world and first with a helping hand. Many have said we should stop giving handouts until we fix the disparities at home. To be fair, we're a young country and still working out the kinks. The important thing is to never feel that we have 100% "become" - and willing to continue to grow.

Reactions: 7
When I was in Edmonton, Alberta for business in October, I met with a guy who runs a local Christian homeless shelter/soup kitchen in the city's Chinatown. He was looking for corporate sponsors, so he took me to the shelter one afternoon to see what they do. Lined up outside their building were men and women, mostly in their 30s and 40s, waiting for their turn for lunch. I sat with some of them at lunch and was surprised by what I learned. None of the people I sat with are beyond work---they just choose not to work despite the hundreds of job availabilities across the city, info of which are posted on the shelter's bulletin boards. In contrast, I met an Ethiopian immigrant who works 9 hours a day at the food court at the West Edmonton Mall, drives a pre-owned car, rents an apartment, sends money back home, and is saving up for a downpayment to buy his own condo. I told him about the shelter I visited that afternoon. "In this country, if you're hungry and homeless, it's your fault," his words, not mine.

Meanwhile, there's a madwoman in Crozon-sur-Vauvre, France who gets $32,000+ per month on donation to splurge away at her heart's content.
I don't know if it's the same in Canada, but in the states, here's how it works for some of the people who are homeless. They have to line up to get a bed at a shelter by late afternoon, roughly by 3:30-4:00 because of limited beds...if they don't get there early, they're not sleeping indoors. Some of the shelters are staffed by people who abuse the people who come to them. Shelters will not let you bring a pet. Shelters will not let you leave your belongings there for the afternoon. Sexual assault is also rampant in shelters. Many people choose not to stay in them due to these things. Much like getting government assistance, they make you jump through hoops...some are valid, others are absurd. How do you maintain a job when you have no permanent place to shower? Or that you need to leave the job early in order to get a bed for the night? What if you find a job and it's night shift work? Where do you go during the day to sleep? Who is going to hire someone who arrives to work with all of their possessions in a garbage bag every day? I'm sure there are a few who choose to not actively work, but the ones I've spoken to would gladly work, pay taxes and contribute to society if they could get over the hurdles preventing them from doing so. The Finnish model for eradicating homelessness provides housing first and then integrates treatment for mental and substance abuse issues. This should be the universal model for dealing with an issue that is only going to grow as inflation does.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 22
I don't watch all of Selmar's vlogs because I find him a little bit disgusting, so maybe he's said something, but if I only had 1.5% of my goal reached I'd be promoting my project on my channel.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Is it just me that thinks billy is looking hot at the moment he looks as if he has slimmed down a bit his face looks thinner
It's just you, but he was more handsome than MPK in his youth, he was gorgeous, don't wonder why Gwen fell for him, but why she stayed is a mystery.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
@Marquis de Potpourri Just curious did these people say why they were not working? Alberta until recently was a very “have” province and I believe people who were making a huge amount of money may be unwilling to compromise. I can tell you I am far from a bleeding heart.
I am constantly amazed at immigrant families that have come to Canada and they take jobs that others are unwilling to take and they manage to work their way up the economic ladder. Let’s face it there are lazy people, all we have to do is look at the château. They have had many things handed to them and they just flail. Having dealt with soup kitchen managers they have a very hard point of view. Unfortunately there are those people who are unable to help themselves. Whether this is due to mental illness and various addictions. Many people can’t get hired due to incarceration, drug and alcohol addictions. Unfortunately many former employed successful people have lost everything due to addiction. Through no fault of their own they became addicted due to an injury, surgery etc and were prescribed oxycontin. Many can’t get off of it no matter how they try. Physicians prescribed these meds without an adequate weaning off plan. We use to wean people off these meds before they left the hospital. Unless the prescription was for terminal cancer. Oxy was original prescribed for people with extremely painful cancers such as bone and pancreatic etc. Once the pharmaceutical co saw that they could make huge amounts of money that changed.
Many of these people feel that they are in a community and if they leave it they no longer have that “support”. Believe me at times I wanted to kick some sense into these people but I came to realize that some just don’t have it within themselves to pull themselves out of the gutter so to speak.
I know currently there are more jobs then there are available people to fill them. My province is a have not province.
Just heard that they are putting minimum wage up by $2 hopefully that will help. However on the other side of the coin our Premier is unwilling to put rent controls in place.
Unfortunately there are many variables that not readily visible. And yes no amount of help will get some of these people to change.
I have personal experience with this. Two of my uncles from both sides of my family were hopeless alcoholics. They both were constantly incarcerated, they rode the rails across Canada. Mainly living out west. Both got sober in their fifties and were able to gain employment and live independently but it took 30 years for them to get there!
and that's on big pharma and the prison industrial complex!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I'm new here too. I'm interested what was the last straw that sent you here? 2nd to last straw for me was the boyfriend reveal. Final straw was her supporting Tatty and Silly's dream kickstarter
Why didn't you come earlier? Were you scared of the "hate" site ? But I should warn you: it's addictive here so run before it's too late for you! ❤

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
I don't watch all of Selmar's vlogs because I find him a little bit disgusting, so maybe he's said something, but if I only had 1.5% of my goal reached I'd be promoting my project on my channel.
they should have bought a place they could afford...start making vlogs and built on a following from that..that could work..not this..but they want the jackpot. first,,.not gonna happen...

It's just you, but he was more handsome than MPK in his youth, he was gorgeous, don't wonder why Gwen fell for him, but why she stayed is a mystery.
well if evrybody would leave his partner because the looks faded..... it would be a lonely world..i have the feeling Gwen is a little bit like Fan Flash..she doesnt like to take the lead..sticks her head in the sand..just likes an easy and quite life..i hope for her she doesnt loose all her money in the end..

Reactions: 18
What’s app chat 💬 had … 19 patrons
Swelled to 41 ….

Various levels
Nobody’s got 2021 Christmas 🎅 card

Rumble in the potage ….

Concerns … lol 😂

No accounts in 18 months
Whom is the accountant - they don’t believe there is one ☝
Can’t see any money’s been invested in the fabric of the building
It’s getting worse not better

Fail to see how a private relationship is now front and centre … belies the fact that she’s private

Any more excursions …
Top tier pulling their money 💰

Not paying for the underbutler to travel anywhere … there’s actual COSTINGS for all her sojourn s in 2021

It’s not all love n light 💡 in the USA 🇺🇸
They have sourced each other out - going to demand an actual zoom meeting for factual …chateau expense s

And their not talking about plants 🪴

Roll on next Wednesday …. It better be very detailed.

Restoration is one thing … renovations of friends and family …

That will be a NO … even for her dubious taste for Marie and bag head …..

😈 winter 🥶 has Arrived 😈
This is good news. The Dauphin and Marquis level patrons are the only voices she'll be interested in. She could care less if a smattering of five and ten dollar a month contributors ask uncomfortable questions or even grumble in the comments. Low dollar fans are easily replaced but most of these high rollers have been on board for years.
I wonder how many are just waiting to get their names on the back of the paneling before they vanish or drop down to pittance contributions.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
There are people moving to Honduras, Costa Rica, etc. as well just to have some quality of life and good medical care. I interviewed hundreds of people before the aca passed and it nearly killed me. It’s outrageous.
It is pretty pathetic. Medical tourism is a thing. I have a friend who used to teach special ed in Florida. She went to Mexico for dental work because she couldn't afford dental work in the states. She lives in Israel now where she gets national health care and abortions are free if you're aged 20 to 33. Ironically, the US sends billions to Israel, last year it was 3.8 billion. I wonder if the evangelicals know. 🤔

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 14
@Marquis de Potpourri Just curious did these people say why they were not working? Alberta until recently was a very “have” province and I believe people who were making a huge amount of money may be unwilling to compromise. I can tell you I am far from a bleeding heart.
I am constantly amazed at immigrant families that have come to Canada and they take jobs that others are unwilling to take and they manage to work their way up the economic ladder. Let’s face it there are lazy people, all we have to do is look at the château. They have had many things handed to them and they just flail. Having dealt with soup kitchen managers they have a very hard point of view. Unfortunately there are those people who are unable to help themselves. Whether this is due to mental illness and various addictions. Many people can’t get hired due to incarceration, drug and alcohol addictions. Unfortunately many former employed successful people have lost everything due to addiction. Through no fault of their own they became addicted due to an injury, surgery etc and were prescribed oxycontin. Many can’t get off of it no matter how they try. Physicians prescribed these meds without an adequate weaning off plan. We use to wean people off these meds before they left the hospital. Unless the prescription was for terminal cancer. Oxy was original prescribed for people with extremely painful cancers such as bone and pancreatic etc. Once the pharmaceutical co saw that they could make huge amounts of money that changed.
Many of these people feel that they are in a community and if they leave it they no longer have that “support”. Believe me at times I wanted to kick some sense into these people but I came to realize that some just don’t have it within themselves to pull themselves out of the gutter so to speak.
I know currently there are more jobs then there are available people to fill them. My province is a have not province.
Just heard that they are putting minimum wage up by $2 hopefully that will help. However on the other side of the coin our Premier is unwilling to put rent controls in place.
Unfortunately there are many variables that not readily visible. And yes no amount of help will get some of these people to change.
I have personal experience with this. Two of my uncles from both sides of my family were hopeless alcoholics. They both were constantly incarcerated, they rode the rails across Canada. Mainly living out west. Both got sober in their fifties and were able to gain employment and live independently but it took 30 years for them to get there!
They don't work for various reasons. While others are as you said, unemployable due to various criminal records, addictions and such, a majority of the ones I met simply discovered how the system works and have decided to completely rely on handouts and help. One gritty reason I got from one of the guys was, "It's your rich people's job to support needy people like me."

Alberta is still a very much have province, and there are jobs everywhere. The IGA I went to get Kosher food items from was looking to fill at least 9 positions at $15/hour starting pay.

My fiancee and I volunteer at a soup kitchen in NYC too. The kitchen also has a community closet. In August, I assisted a 23-year old guy from the Bronx who came to the community closet to find an ensemble for his job interview for a doorman position in Tribeca. This past Monday he came by to drop a thank you card because he got the job, and lives for free at the building's staff quarters. Too bad I missed him that day.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I am not going political in here..i just help where i can...i sometimes have my questions..and doubts..but when there are children involved...we help..they cant help their parents bad decisions..

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I don't know if it's the same in Canada, but in the states, here's how it works for some of the people who are homeless. They have to line up to get a bed at a shelter by late afternoon, roughly by 3:30-4:00 because of limited beds...if they don't get there early, they're not sleeping indoors. Some of the shelters are staffed by people who abuse the people who come to them. Shelters will not let you bring a pet. Shelters will not let you leave your belongings there for the afternoon. Sexual assault is also rampant in shelters. Many people choose not to stay in them due to these things. Much like getting government assistance, they make you jump through hoops...some are valid, others are absurd. How do you maintain a job when you have no permanent place to shower? Or that you need to leave the job early in order to get a bed for the night? What if you find a job and it's night shift work? Where do you go during the day to sleep? Who is going to hire someone who arrives to work with all of their possessions in a garbage bag every day? I'm sure there are a few who choose to not actively work, but the ones I've spoken to would gladly work, pay taxes and contribute to society if they could get over the hurdles preventing them from doing so. The Finnish model for eradicating homelessness provides housing first and then integrates treatment for mental and substance abuse issues. This should be the universal model for dealing with an issue that is only going to grow as inflation does.
Pretty much the same here!

• Sad
Reactions: 5
I often wish this site had an eye-rolling reaction emoji... it really is the only reasonable response to many wackadoodle choices in the chateau-verse.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I am not going political in here..i just help where i can...i sometimes have my questions..and doubts..but when there are children involved...we help..they cant help their parents bad decisions..
Sorry for going political, I worked in DC for 5 years, I can't help it. Like you, I help where I can. I'm not wealthy by any means, but I'm fortunate to have a roof over my head and give what I can throughout the year.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.