The Chateau Diaries #75 Dan an honorary VIP on here. We could refer to him as DTMVIP.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It's interesting that we can watch the same thing and have different reactions. I enjoyed both, but I also enjoyed the Polish rug cleaning today (have a headache so nice to have low-key things that don't require full attention).
yuck headaches suck-take care of you-have a caffeine drink and a chocolate (virtual hugs)

Sorry, I meant the Polish rug cleaning youtuber.
I’m afraid to start watching these because I went into a three week trance with the silent Japanese baking videos ion YouTube

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Well just skipped through that rug washing video. Nothing that a VAX couldn't tackle. Not quite sure I want to start on Japanese baking vids..

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Question for you Brits. DTMVIP (Dan) talks in Two Blokes Talk Food about how surprised he was over the comments reacting to the teasing and British humor between him and Stephanie. I do enjoy some good jabs and teasing, but then there have been some that have seemed over the top to me, the innuendo about his overnight stay, in particular. So was that really Brit humor and I was just too sensitive to it? Or was that a mean jab?
Steffie made that comment.
As a Brit, I took that as off-colour at least. It seemed rather like tit-stirring. Creating unnecessary melodrama.
Which is what our shattoelame is skilled at.
There was zero need to put it in her vlog.

Otherwise, I'd say that nothing that's passed between Dan, Hon.VIP and Amaury has been over the top in Brit terms.

Reactions: 17
Why is such offense taken when anyone dare question Dan the gardener? This is tattle life right? On one of many Chateau Diaries threads? We all share an interest and come here to discuss how ridiculous, over the top, stupid, fun, unsafe and different life is at the Chateau de la Lande. Everyone that appears on Stephanie’s vlog seems to be discussed here to some degree, even the guests. I personally don’t care for Dan. So what? I think his wife, Annalise, is a saint for dealing with him all the time and his kids are cute. Honestly, I’m happy for his family that he appears to be making more money now than ever before. I’m happy his dumpy house is finally getting fixed up. But is he my favorite person to pop up at the Chateau? No.

Lots of interesting characters come and go. I also don’t care for Heni, she’s just weird. I think Selmar might be a bit lazy. I’m happy he seems to have found love and maybe a chateau of his own that will take him a year to renovate a small loo. Maybe it will get done faster at his place, but I doubt it…

Lots of tattlers have opinions on Stephanie, Phillip, Marie, Gerry, Cat & Ian, etc… Everyone here has opinions and that’s ok, that’s why we are here.

Love you guys!
Seems odd, as a long time lurker who just started posting a week ago that you don't know not to come in guns a blazing right from comment one about not liking Dan!! You should know it is going to be seen as suspicious! Know the room!! You're about 14 comments in.

That said, I have critiqued Dan, he has been critiqued here quite heavily in the past. He hasn't been given a pass.

He's liked because he produces content, he is consistent, he works hard, you can see he's improving his skills, and a biggie, he doesn't push his patreon account. Not to mention he doesn't come from money. He bought a derelict old barn with his partner for 17,000 so they could get on the property ladder.

I do find him a bit cocky at times. I don't 100% like his personality. But I do like watching his vlogs and seeing progress in many areas. If you can't recognize how much he's gotten done on his little house in the last year, you must be blind! Yes, there is more to do, but that's the way it is with renos, especially if you live in them, and you're doing it as money comes in.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
Question for you Brits. DTMVIP (Dan) talks in Two Blokes Talk Food about how surprised he was over the comments reacting to the teasing and British humor between him and Stephanie. I do enjoy some good jabs and teasing, but then there have been some that have seemed over the top to me, the innuendo about his overnight stay, in particular. So was that really Brit humor and I was just too sensitive to it? Or was that a mean jab?
I saw it as typical British humour. (I'm a Brit). Sarcasm is the norm here. If you look a bit crumpled and are wearing yesterday's clothes ,it's just what people would say. "Have you been out all night?" I have had it said to me on occasions. Honestly not many people would be offended, but of course some people would be offended by it as we all have different ideas of humour. I would never do it to my niece as she takes everything very seriously and would be upset.
Banter and sarcasm are the norm and if you can think of a ridiculous /outrageous reply to it, people love you all the more.
We have just been to stay with dear friends we haven't been able to see for a couple of years due to lockdowns, and I get teased all the time for being a "cougar", as my husband is much younger. I look forward to the banter so I can use witty remarks about my friend's love of wine to get my own back, but we are great friends . You only do it to people you really like and it's very entertaining. If you don't like somebody you wouldn't do it.
I think Stephanie and Dan have this sort of bantering relationship with each other (eg Dan writing 50 years old in the lawn.)

• Heart
Reactions: 28
Steffie made that comment.
As a Brit, I took that as off-colour at least. It seemed rather like tit-stirring. Creating unnecessary melodrama.
Which is what our shattoelame is skilled at.
There was zero need to put it in her vlog.

Otherwise, I'd say that nothing that's passed between Dan, Hon.VIP and Amaury has been over the top in Brit terms.
I felt the same, but Steph did come over as being a bit stirry. I also think Dan was referring to the Brit sense of humor, which involves lots of sarcasm and digs, but 1) is usually with (as someone else mentioned) a good friend or partner) and 2) a lot of other nationalities dont get the British sense of humor, not that no others are sarcastic, but its a combination of things. Its not exclusive to Brits but we are well known for it and rarely take offense at that kind of stuff

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I've dusted myself down after the eye-opening, jaw-dropping, silence-inducing astonishment at the listing for Edd and Anna's "passion project".

Thank you, Monsieur le Comte, for this stellar intel.

It seems an immensely greedy ambitious sales price for what it is and where it's located. And for what's broadly speaking a DIY makeover. The photos were taken with great skill. The blurb (which is masterpiece of terrible copywriting) is worthy of a prize for real estate bad fiction. Misrepresentation by omission Is one thing,cbut the purple prose is almost worse. It's truly awful.

The agent has a few €2,000,000-plus properties within easy reach of Bordeaux. Ones which are not on a busy street and which stand in their own grounds.

.the property linked below includes 5% agency fees in the guide price. Edd & Anna's mansion doesn't.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
SJ making the comment about Dan and his clothes, again, we lack context we are never shown the whole story. I do believe they have that kind of relationship. SJ seems to use that same humour with a lot people. Sometimes it flies sometimes it falls on the floor with a thud. We Canadians use that type of humour as well.
Something that has been nagging at me recently is that for all the criticism we make about how nasty SJ is to people they keep coming back for more.
In regards to our dear flower killer I hope she will sprout wings and fly on her own. Even though she grates on my nerves she appears to have made positive changes and she seems to have people around her who genuinely like her and seem to be there for her. Hopefully the era of her rambling around alone mumbling to her camera has been greatly reduced.

Reactions: 18
I saw it as typical British humour. (I'm a Brit). Sarcasm is the norm here. If you look a bit crumpled and are wearing yesterday's clothes ,it's just what people would say. "Have you been out all night?" I have had it said to me on occasions. Honestly not many people would be offended, but of course some people would be offended by it as we all have different ideas of humour. I would never do it to my niece as she takes everything very seriously and would be upset.
Banter and sarcasm are the norm and if you can think of a ridiculous /outrageous reply to it, people love you all the more.
We have just been to stay with dear friends we haven't been able to see for a couple of years due to lockdowns, and I get teased all the time for being a "cougar", as my husband is much younger. I look forward to the banter so I can use witty remarks about my friend's love of wine to get my own back, but we are great friends . You only do it to people you really like and it's very entertaining. If you don't like somebody you wouldn't do it.
I think Stephanie and Dan have this sort of bantering relationship with each other (eg Dan writing 50 years old in the lawn.)
Sarcasm and banter are the norm in every country beween good friends and family.

But maybe not in a vlog watched by thousands.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Why is such offense taken when anyone dare question Dan the gardener? This is tattle life right? On one of many Chateau Diaries threads? We all share an interest and come here to discuss how ridiculous, over the top, stupid, fun, unsafe and different life is at the Chateau de la Lande. Everyone that appears on Stephanie’s vlog seems to be discussed here to some degree, even the guests. I personally don’t care for Dan. So what? I think his wife, Annalise, is a saint for dealing with him all the time and his kids are cute. Honestly, I’m happy for his family that he appears to be making more money now than ever before. I’m happy his dumpy house is finally getting fixed up. But is he my favorite person to pop up at the Chateau? No.

Lots of interesting characters come and go. I also don’t care for Heni, she’s just weird. I think Selmar might be a bit lazy. I’m happy he seems to have found love and maybe a chateau of his own that will take him a year to renovate a small loo. Maybe it will get done faster at his place, but I doubt it…

Lots of tattlers have opinions on Stephanie, Phillip, Marie, Gerry, Cat & Ian, etc… Everyone here has opinions and that’s ok, that’s why we are here.

Love you guys!
You can say what you want on Tattle. You might not like the response though 😁. You can always click ignore the person or even report...... But you have the right to say what you think.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
I got hooked on the Polish Rug Cleaning guy during lockdown. So relaxing. I like when he does the scrapey scrapey thing with the brush 🖌
Its typical British humour . Very sarcastic, a lot of teasing and innuendo. You would only do this to someone you have a good relationship with. A very good friend, a partner. It is taken in good humour and
Its typical British humour . Very sarcastic, a lot of teasing and innuendo. You would only do this to someone you have a good relationship with. A very good friend, a partner. It is taken in good humour and not R enjoyable if the the receiver of tjwith a
Sirry this got posted before I could edit it!

Reactions: 1
Happy Sunday, Tattlers! 😊 Hope you're all having a great weekend. We're having unusually mild, sunny 🌞 weather for this time of year, so I've prepped some 🐷 ribs to be slow-cooked for three hours. I even made a potato salad, probably the last one of the season. 🍁🍂

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 21

Love you guys!
People say how they feel on here. If you don't like Dan, fine you are entitled to your opinion. People may disagree with you that's all.
Oops sorry! Chocolategoggler has just made the same point. Didn't see the post. Apologies.

Reactions: 19
Yes I am thankful for not hearing that pompous ass narrate. He's quite full of himself and no matter how stupidly Methrick has behaved in regards to the design drama between him and the Strawbridges, I don't for one minute think that they are entirely innocent. If you have 50min. to kill, listen to this talk Dick did, he even describes himself as "not a nice person".

another not popular idea...😎 and, I totally get how he turns people off...but he’s a career military man...you don’t get that far being ‘nice’. frankly, he was just being honest about himself, which happens when you hit 60 or so, give or take. you really don’t g-a-s about winning a popularity contest.
I’d prefer someone like him over SJ who is fake as all hell...and really, she isn’t ’nice’ at all like she pretends to be. dick may be a dick...but she is a calculating, scheming wench who likes to humiliate and embarrass others and hides behind a facade of ‘nice girl’. give me an honest witch any day,,,at least you know where you stand. same with dick...he told you he isn’t a nice person...believe it and you will have no surprises.

Love Briggs Meyers. It’s surprisingly accurate. I’m ENFP and it’s accurate for me. I used to work with a team of 300 engineers and we sent out the BM test for them to do at Christmas for a bit of fun. Over 2 thirds had the same result. Engineers are great I loved working with them.
I’m a ENTJ. And female. Which is pretty unusual. 0.9% of all women. I’m also an Aries. I’m hell on wheels. VICTORY OR DEATH!

...👍 me too...we’re like men...can be a problem...for others...😎

Last edited:
  • Haha
This poster is not happy with the explanation about "British" humour and sarcasm being a British trait only.

I agree with them. Sarcasm is used in every country with good friends / relatives etc.

Dan's vlog :

Aleta
18 hours agoSarcasm definitely is not specific to England. Maybe they don't do it in America, but I lived in 5 European countries and literally everyone is sarcastic most of the time - and yes the Germans too.

Hide 2 replies

heartoflyn
8 hours agoIn the US it all depends on who you are interacting with. I’m very sarcastic and poke at/with family and close friends. Generally, the more harsh the jabs, the better the relationship is. But, I never do this with anyone I just met or haven’t had time to get to know.

Aleta
5 hours ago
@heartoflyn I just find it ridiculous for anyone to claim sarcasm being exclusively theirs. Like you've said - it's just banter with your friends and family.

Michele A
18 hours ago
It's not only English. My Irish grandmother was the same way. If she did not pick on any of the guys I dated I knew she did not approve of them. LOL I find that I am like her too the older I get :)

Hide reply

Aleta
4 hours ago
One difference is that the Irish don't believe that they are the only people who understand sarcasm.

That's a mystery to be solved...

J
3 hours ago
Wait..............he only met Stephanie 8 years ago!!!!!!!!!!! Please embellish?
Of course sarcasm and banter is not exclusively British. However, the question is always asked about it being part of British culture, and is it meant to be offensive, and this is what Dan is addressing in his vlog.
He's just answered what he felt about Stephanie teasing him. He was fine with it.
If people don't get it, they don't get it. 😁

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Happy Sunday, Tattlers! 😊 Hope you're all having a great weekend. We're having unusually mild, sunny 🌞 weather for this time of year, so I've prepped some 🐷 ribs to be slow-cooked for three hours. I even made a potato salad, probably the last one of the season. 🍁🍂
Happy Sunday, Beau Monde! Ribs and potato salad sound so amazing right now! (Stomach growls... need ribs...)

Reactions: 11
I hope Dan is paying the going rate for his health and safety consultant. Cute as he is.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
Sadly she loves the control she has over people. Look at Marie, always crawling back. I think in the long run it will bite her in her ass. She films so much of her stupidity that it's out there for all of us to see. The last straw for me was when she asked Dan to cook for her guests? Really SJ? You have money rolling in every month, hire a fuking catering service.
Then she would have to rely on French cooks and we all know the French can't cook.

• Haha
  • Heart
interesting video on the how you tubers are going to more and more behind a paywall to make money

Now that is interesting!!!! And he mentions the "narcissists" you tubers. So true.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.