Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

monkyFunk

As a Brit, I've never understood many of the north American terms for different styles of housing. What's a condo? A duplex - two houses stuck together? What do you call an old house built for one family but completely separated into two flats/apartments, up and downstairs?

We have semi-detached which is two houses joined together, terraced - all stuck together in a row (is that row houses to you?), then there's detached houses which are separate units from other houses (what do you call those?). I've lived in all sorts, last two detached, great because you can't hear neighbours/they don't hear you! The city terraced house was great because it was always warm, cheap to heat, insulated from both sides. UK houses are usually much smaller than NAmerican houses. Less space on which to build. So rooms are smaller - and most houses don't have a laundry room sadly. Modern houses however small usually have at least two loos (by law one downstairs for people with disabilities).

In the US, the terms tend to depend on which geographical area you are in. In the southwest US, a condo is typically an apartment that is purchased rather than rented. A condo can have a garage though, so it depends on the particular construction of it, and there's typically a pool and community building. It depends on how the homeowners association has been setup in terms of ownership of the surrounding land and who is responsible if something breaks (HOA versus owner).

If you have 2 houses joined together and only share one wall, that would be a twin home. You don't often hear the term duplex but some people do use it for twin homes. I live in a twin house and it was built in the 70s and overlooks a large canyon - it's very easy to hear your neighbors or smell their cigarette smoke because the canyon reverberates the noises people make.

If you have houses sharing all walls, then it's usually a patio home or a town home, and they're usually built in a community surrounding parks or golf courses. A house that's been separated into rental units is now called "hacked" - a relatively newer term for that, and not always legal. :)

• Heart
Reactions: 3

Luna20

VIP Member
There is work done on the heating???? I'm going to watch the vlogs first before I catch up here!

Wilhelm

Just maybe his family doesn’t want to feature in his blog. Does it matter? You sure go on about it. He can produce what he wants it’s his blog. I’m sure there were quite a few nasty comments in the beginning they decided not to continue with that format. Stop stirring the pot and just enjoy what he produces. Unless you know the facts stop making issues where there are none.
Well he does seem to vlog more than work.I don't like him.Prefer Kirsty.

• Angry
  • Heart

Arfarf

VIP Member
Picking up on a previous post, Christie's is implicated in this world wide network of pirated artifacts. No one should do business with them, think of their endorsement as an honor, think of them as arbiters of taste, or of their hallmark as a fair ascription of value to goods.
Ah poop it wants me to subscribe in order to read the article. Good find though.

WMGL

VIP Member
Just like you, I believe we may be looking at a mild cognitive issue. Part of that would be the lack of insight as to the possible need for a check up/testing. It was sheer lunacy to breach the privacy and security of her host. Not to mention highly discourteous. I'd be furious, tearing my hair out if I were the host.
I would be too.

oooLaLande

VIP Member
You mean the local property taxes ?

It is not for the French government but for the towns, département and region (local authorities).
No, I meant the actual dollars used to buy the chateaus, which is essentially free money added to economy. (like the OTT girl who sold their family home in CA to buy that pretty chateau, or Sarah and Steve selling their house and brining the proceeds to France)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2

Reader's digest

VIP Member
Just maybe his family doesn’t want to feature in his blog. Does it matter? You sure go on about it. He can produce what he wants it’s his blog. I’m sure there were quite a few nasty comments in the beginning they decided not to continue with that format. Stop stirring the pot and just enjoy what he produces. Unless you know the facts stop making issues where there are none.
Exactly, this is here "tattle life only exception Dan" 😆

Reactions: 2