The Chateau Diaries #72 Winter is coming

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hello, everyone! I have missed so much being MIA but I am all caught up now. Random thoughts:

* Dan. It is very clear (and he has now said it himself) his inspiration is Casey Neistat. Nothing wrong with that, Casey is incredibly talented and a good role model for a vlogger, but assuming someone else’s persona and copying their editing style almost directly leads to a lack of authenticity. And I like Dan. (Sometimes he reminds me of a young Dave Gahan, and if you know, you know.)
I think that Dan was admiring Casey Neistat's studio set-up, as a model for his own studio.

Reactions: 11
View attachment 795497

Thanks for organising and obvs I love the title. Off to winter proof Gibson Towers.🤣

I meant to reply to @MidCenturyMadOne and @Beau Monde last evening. I am pretty sure there is also an earlier version than the David Niven Canterville Ghost.
David Niven is a superb and underrated actor. I thoroughly enjoyed reading his autobiography 'The Moon's a Balloon!'

Back to the shake, rattle and blowing radiators in the Shittoo.
I read both of David Niven's autobiographies. Very witty amongst other things.

And yes, the radiators, the leaks and soggy bits that are never ending :)

• Heart
Reactions: 10
My Observations
Why can't Nic & Potts sort out the heating? They seem to be just investors in the property doing nothing while SJ runs & raises (begs for) funds for the chateau. If SJ can travel for a short visit to Nic's, he can do the same to fix the heating & other DIY jobs. I think the heating problem was shown as a future project for the patreons she knows what she's doing.

Volunteers get free food & housing in exchange for work but Nati & Philip are paid. Do they pay for food & rent? Volunteers who worked harder & stayed longer were not paid but Philip who is the least skilled & experienced was employed within 6-months of his arrival. He was an upholsterer, painter, videographer (that snorts behind the camera & talks over the person being filmed), editor (with weekly mistakes), travel companion & now his office is beside SJ's room even though there's lots of empty spaces around the chateau. He even took SJ's car to Netherlands. Phil & SJ's relationship is very odd (unprofessional?), some might feel she's using him because he's younger but he is the one who went to the chateau pretending to have all those skills & pretends to know about antiques & century buildings.

Selma - I don't know how he can plan to buy a property with someone he barely knows & who is obviously using him for her business & social media following but they all use each other.

Mary Lee came for a short visit to the chateau because (I think) she was told (by lalande) her blog was mentioned on this forum. She made a post about it where she mentioned people were gossiping about her blog. instagram.com/p/CUcoVwOI_QZ/ That was a planned visit.

SJ - she no longer needs YTube as she earns most of her income from patreon, YTube just advertises her business. She's a YTuber who got lucky on patreon. There are others who have stayed respectful & professional at the chateau the Ians, Dan & Amaury.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Hello dear tattlers... No one asked, but I have you know that my clients survived the great FB crash of 2021, but I have not yet recovered mentally! So, here is some bi*ching to make me feel better.

Am I the only one who got really worried when SJ said every week she has Americans who want to buy a chateau?
As someone who actively uses "trends" in her work, I can spot one from a mile away... and god help those poor chateaus when the trend dies down and after their enthusiastic owners have faced the truth about hard work and expenses and the fact that owning a chateau doesn't mean Live Laugh Love Party everyday!

can you imagine a bunch on people who most likely know nothing about history and design, except for their exposure to SJ's vlogs, coming in hot and renovating historic buildings to their taste? My heart breaks! 💔

I guess the real winner here is the French Government who receives these incoming dollars from US... and the real looser is those doe eyed Patrons who will support these future chateau owners!

This didn't really make feel better.. but oh well... Rant over!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 30
Hmmmm. Looks like Dan's videos featuring Amaury, shirtless if possible, glean 15-17K more viewers than Dan renovating.
I wonder if the same is true for SJ.
I am thinking over the plausibility of the scenario that Amaury was sent by IJ and her sister to prevent PJ from taking the money, by marrying SJ or just taking it.
That's why, it seems to me, Amaury needs to win the battle of the radiators -- ie., get SJ to repair geothermal system. If, as suggested, IJ is behind his move there, she perhaps is already on board for this battle. Altho she's cheaper than a day old herring, too.
I'd like to know what her fiduciary stake in the chateau and SJ's businesses are -- as @LaFrancaise123 has shown, SJ is the only listed director in the post Patreon companies. Can IJ still whup ass from SA? I have me doubts.
But thousands more viewers per appearance gives Amaury some power in this universe. Interesting to see Nati offering him the option not to be on camera during the radiator meltdown. That was a power play and I'll be interested to see if he doles out camera time to SJ.
Keep your shirt on, Amaury. It's shirts vs. skins and you're not the skin.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
Am I the only one who got really worried when SJ said every week she has Americans who want to buy a chateau?
Those dreadful women at the birthday party reminded me of the SATC girls 30 years later. Only now it's Sex and the Chateau for the long in the tooth and not too well heeled. I suspect that's SJ's chateau-hunting clientele.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
The thumbnail for this appeared in my youtube recommendations and I thought it was Brenda Gibbons ! :eek::ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 16
I definitely heard Jamaican....'Genovia' only exists in 'The Princess Diaries' :ROFLMAO:
but maybe she's also a fantasist and meant 'Genovia' !
It seems that 2 men "created" this fictional country for real (in 2019).

See my post above...:eek:

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.