The Chateau Diaries #4 Jarvis in Jeopardy

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
More and more on this thread, you can see who is a Patreon and who is not a Patreon.
It could be used by students in sociology / psychology for their case study šŸ˜‚
Fascinating.
University of La La Lande. BA (Hons) - Sociology with Social Psychology. UCAS code: CL83. Core Module ā€“ Donā€™t Fall Down The Rabbit Hole

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Well, as you can see from my first post earlier I am new here and not quite got the hang of it yet - I was trying to say well done to @ChocLili for the poem but the first bit of my reply disappeared.
Anyway, hello everyone and thanks so much to one and all for helping me escape from the clutches of the sugary sweetness of Lalande superfans. My wellies were being sucked off trying to wade through all that treacle on the SJ vlog comments and facebook page offerings. My own fault, I know, for falling under the spell of SJ and filling pointless hours with reading it all. I still love her youtube vlogs and admire so much about her, but have been increasingly uneasy about so much about the whole setup. I began to think I was a Very Bad Person, because all I could see were adoring comments. I now know (thanks to you all) that negative comments were deleted, but I am not very wise to the ways of social media etc. - and I thought I was the one out of step and shame on me for daring to think anything other than good things. I'm all for positive reinforcement, unconditional love and support, but come on, nothing is that good all the time! So, it's great to find a place where I can feel more at home and can feel human again.
Nothing is worse than tripping down a rabbit hole and not finding a single skeptic to talk about it with. I felt like I spent four months in a room full of women with no gaydar.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
My understanding, and I am quite prepared to be corrected on this, is as follows: SJ has handed over the running of the B&B and workshops to Nati, who is a paid employee, paid from the profit for these, or in the event of loss, costs are covered by SJ. B&B expenses will continue to at least cover the expenses of the volunteers and SJ herself with accommodation costs, food, car expenses etc. For personal income, SJ is and will use the ad revenue from all channels with the exception of the gift one. As well as her personal expenses, depending on income, she may be able to fund elements of the chateau works which do not meet the regulations of the not for profit Patreon account, e;g; the swimming pool. (although some of that might be able to be written off on B&B losses as guests will be able to use it), Expenses from you tube ad revenue that are for accommodation whilst filming, meals whilst filming, entrance fees, even clothes and items brought for demonstration, equipment for filming and editing should all be tax deductible from the monies before SJ receives a net amount. To me, all this is perfectly acceptable. SJ is providing content to subscribers in return for being paid. She therefore will not need, nor want to use Patreon funds for personal expenses. Obviously. if she has other income streams from inheritance, private investments, or subsidy from family, that is none of our business.
now she sure can do it like u said in case she had doubts =] swimming pool etc can be written of B&B and the whole filming gig can be marketing for the BB as well

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
To be fair .... if your of a certain age ... cough
The Rolling Stones ... brown sugar .....
Is in this modern times .... snow ā„

Think it was tounge in cheek no brown sugar here šŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜šŸ˜
@MojoDublin a comedy response for you ā„ šŸ¾ā„ 'its snowing champagne in wonderland' šŸ˜‡

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: 2
as
Actually I don't think she likes anybody. Selmar, Ian 1+2 and Dan are ok as long they do some work she benefits from. But I feel she won't miss Marie, Philip, Tomaz or even Nati. Marie does work but then it is only cooking to feed the volunteers. Putting some flowers in a vase she can do herself once a week. Nati is polite and all, but only because SJ considers her very organized and hard working because she does the boring desk job it does not mean she is superwoman. Opening the parcels and answering some emails is not overwhelming work and she can do it all dressed up. If French emails or business correspondence come in she still can't answer them. Or answer the phone. It would be more reasonable to hire a French person from the village. But then that's not their thingšŸ˜Š
as you correctly point out she doesn't like anyone because she likes herself and anyone who she can benefit from as a true narc would - no wonder there I suppose with one exception which would be her golden child - the princess Stef

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
I thought the same. My partner and I are seriously considering buying a money pit/chateau, so weā€™re learning French in order to really get involved in the community where we end up. Stephanie never seems to venture to the local town unless itā€™s to go to the Brocante. Even there she never sees people she knows unless itā€™s Dan and family.
The fact that she has plants for the garden (the dahlias that were sent to her London flat) shipped from the UK versus just purchasing down the road always perplexed me. She is not alone. Canā€™t remember the names of the other chateau where they did a massive lavender planting at their entrance and the plants all came from the UK. Seems very odd.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
It always strikes me how little they're integrated to the local community.
how would you intgrate a bubble? - it is like a tumor, it only grows but it is not absorbed
Anybody can spend their money however they choose I donā€™t have a problem with that......
What I do have issue with, and this is why I stopped watching ads etc is that SJ has very expensive tastes and those tastes are just everyday bits and bobs to her (regular champagne, expensive gins, Cire Trudon candles to name but a few). Yes she films videos for YouTube but itā€™s a free to view platform which is why she initially ā€˜took offā€™. When she ā€˜asksā€™ for funds to help her restore her home and then spends her own money on in my view luxuries, that is what I struggle with. If I have work needed on my home I donā€™t buy a fancy candle and show all and sundry and then hope someone will fix my front door.
and this my dears is precisely the narrative of the covert narc - pooor me I need help but I live in the castle and drink champagne in the evenings but I am really really poor and struggle to pay for rent once I buy some Hermes and not to forget I am so so soooo tired I need and I really need the luxury holidays because you know I work so hard so I need to relax to restore the balance

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
The fact that she has plants for the garden (the dahlias that were sent to her London flat) shipped from the UK versus just purchasing down the road always perplexed me. She is not alone. Canā€™t remember the names of the other chateau where they did a massive lavender planting at their entrance and the plants all came from the UK. Seems very odd.
I haven't seen a lot of the other chateau youtube channels, but the other owners seem to interact with their community even less. It looks like Dana is active locally and is friends with goat cheese guy, they appear to communicate with their neighbors off camera mostly (the water finder, and the satellite dish barn might be the same guy?) and there are a few videos where they are leaving for dinner in a local restaurant but only one video of them eating out locally. They should invite their postman to dinner. I bet they know him pretty well by now.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Ruthie (MPotts current gfriend) seems to barely tolerate being filmed. Oliverā€™s wife who is stunning only seemed to be jealous that SJ had fancier accommodations. Nicā€™s wife Marie does not seem to spend any one on one time with SJ either. It is very odd that a 45 year old woman does not have any female friends her age and from her same background ie: Oxford. And who wouldnā€™t want to come party in a ChĆ¢teau in France for the weekend? God knows her Uni crowd has means and most of them have had careers too. For friends SJ basically has sycophants ie volunteers.
She has the friend who lives in Scotland who married one of Nic's friends who they visit together once a year. She is godmother to her child. Also she replied to a comment re Ruth in an earlier vlog Ruth was a friend of hers. Michael met her through SJ. Once again can't believe I remember that.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 14
You may be right that they donā€™t interact much with locals or, and this is what Iā€™ve always thought, it may be that those locals donā€™t really want to appear on some unknown vlog filmed by an eccentric local (half) English woman.

Reactions: 8
random question but does anyone know why she doesn't have children? it wouldn't surprise me if the true reason is that she herself wanted to be a child forever

• Sad
You may be right that they donā€™t interact much with locals or, and this is what Iā€™ve always thought, it may be that those locals donā€™t really want to appear on some unknown vlog filmed by an eccentric local (half) English woman.
Or, maybe the locals know what's coming.............
Every patron (not just the higher tier donors) will receive - to quote SJ - "An annual invitation to a Summer Open Day at the Chateau de Lalande to see the progress of the renovations and to meet with me and the rest of the Lalande team". It is one of the benefits she offers. Covid, of course, put paid to it this year, but next year - ???
At present there are 2325 patrons. Obviously, not all will want to, or be able to go. But those that do will probably all want to bring their partner/friend/carer/probation officer with them, so it is more than likely to be a significant number turning up at the door, roughing up the pink gravel.
To my shame, my first thought when I found this out was: Souvenir Hunters! Lock up anything small and portable (although maybe this would be an ideal way to get rid of some of those tacky gifts).
My next thought (being ever practical) was: so many people, so few loos (better get cracking Selmar).
And then: SJ couldn't possibly play good hostess without, at the very least, bubbly and nibbles (going to need a bigger table Marie).
Also: whatever will the locals think if hundreds of superfans turn up at once? No doubt Mrs Gibbons will be offering bespoke coach tours for the chosen few.
I'm sure you will all have other takes on this, but I think it is asking for trouble.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 21
Or, maybe the locals know what's coming.............
Every patron (not just the higher tier donors) will receive - to quote SJ - "An annual invitation to a Summer Open Day at the Chateau de Lalande to see the progress of the renovations and to meet with me and the rest of the Lalande team". It is one of the benefits she offers. Covid, of course, put paid to it this year, but next year - ???
At present there are 2325 patrons. Obviously, not all will want to, or be able to go. But those that do will probably all want to bring their partner/friend/carer/probation officer with them, so it is more than likely to be a significant number turning up at the door, roughing up the pink gravel.
To my shame, my first thought when I found this out was: Souvenir Hunters! Lock up anything small and portable (although maybe this would be an ideal way to get rid of some of those tacky gifts).
My next thought (being ever practical) was: so many people, so few loos (better get cracking Selmar).
And then: SJ couldn't possible play good hostess without, at the very least, bubbly and nibbles (going to need a bigger table Marie).
Also: whatever will the locals think if hundreds of superfans turn up at once? No doubt Mrs Gibbons will be offering bespoke coach tours for the chosen few.
I'm sure you will all have other takes on this, but I think it is asking for trouble.
probation officer - I am dying

• Haha
Reactions: 10
You are very right , sadly. My wife (before we met, it wasn't me!) had a stalker, and that got very serious and still to this day is something she will never forget. People who are in the public eye can attract nutters easily. They create scenarious in their heads, and when it does not unfold the way they thought it would, they can flip. I would guess women more often than men attract stalkers, though of course (as we all know here) there are some female hatters as well, and one unhinged behaviour often leads to another (some people think flashing is harmless, but it is often the start of things that can lead up to rape, it is all about taking control). As Stephanie's fame grows, she will learn the hard way that you have to be careful in trusting strangers, I am sure this will be something Nic and Michael P will discuss with her. Sorry, getting quite serious here :oops:
also @Rory
On a serious note .. I've thought this since last year when I watched the London vlogs. Its so easy to pinpoint her flat location let alone book it and stay there. I thought at the time by eck you're a brave woman putting it all out there for the whole world to see when its your home and not just a rental property.
On the one hand I imagine Howard & Raj on The Big Bang Theory using satellites to find the house of models but on the other hand ... it only takes one loon. In comparison BG is completely harmless.

• Haha
also @Rory
On a serious note .. I've thought this since last year when I watched the London vlogs. Its so easy to pinpoint her flat location let alone book it and stay there. I thought at the time by eck you're a brave woman putting it all out there for the whole world to see when its your home and not just a rental property.
On the one hand I imagine Howard & Raj on The Big Bang Theory using satellites to find the house of models but on the other hand ... it only takes one loon. In comparison BG is completely harmless.
Soon we start to see selfies taken in her apartment on IG :confused:

• Wow
And poor Michael said in a Q&A that Stephanie is his best friend šŸ˜¢
Oh dear ! Thatā€™s sad to read šŸ˜¢ Iā€™m not a fan of his vlog & donā€™t watch it but I did give him a mercy-like in the beginning when he used to appear with SJ in the Chateau Diaries. He seemed so clever & artistic . He was so gauche but trying hard to fit in (although he never really did) that it almost pulled my heart strings šŸ˜„

Yes! I wholeheartedly agree. I cannot understand why people willingly give an already wealthy person money to fund their private vanity project. There are so many more deserving causes.
Before I found this eloquent & educated group here šŸ˜‰ I merely had myself to ask this very same question. I Always enjoyed SJā€™s vlogs (particularly those charming early ones) but when she set up Patreon I recall thinking, who on earth would give money to The Girl Who Has Everything ? I naively expected perhaps only a few ..... how wrong could I have been as the money has poured in . Although Iā€™m not a Patreon, I can understand people giving $5 a month say, for access to extra content but to give this privileged, indulged woman even more (albeit supposedly for the chateau), continues to amaze me - even though Iā€™m a big fan of LOTL šŸ˜

I wish someone would give me free money :)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 14
Yes Stephanie does give month to month breakdown of her patreon money. She has confirmed that patreon money will go to non profit. 100% of it will go into renovation and nothing else. Dan and selmar will be paid through patreon money as their work comes under restoration category

And there will be another business set up where the bnb and youtube money will go. It is through this that nati and marry poppins will be paid. This is part of Stephanie's personal income. So no i dont think she will give a breakdown of youtube income. Although she did mention that she was able to book for the first time 1st class flight ticket for isobel france to south africa in light of corona from youtube income.

He other income includes rent from her london apartments through airbnb. Although at the current situation i dunno if she is getting rent or not.

And if patreon money is going 100% to renovation which in turn benifits nic and potts. Even though all the efforts of patreon is Stephanie's. Nic and Micheal seeem to be essentially getting their house renovated for free. I am sure the 3 of them have an arrangement where nic and micheal pay stephanie some money as well.

Noticed that Nicā€™s new bathroom has linoleum floor unlike the stone and tile floor in the longest bathroom reno in the history of France. So I really think the renovations are separate or at least the materials must be. We all know SJ isnā€™t putting lino around her copper tub!

Also, I make sure to avoid any of the YT Q&A Live videos because it is basically a telethon. One question asked and answered followed up by (use the Gift Grab OTT voice) thank you Brenda Gibbons (or any super fan name) for (insert ridiculous over the top amount) we are just overwhelmed by your generosity etc etc etc. Instant gratification versus waiting months for SJ to open and swoon over peacock broach.

Not sure if that is tracked with ad revenue but it all has to add up. She is really making bank.

• Haha
  • Heart
SJ mentioned in one vlog that she had no input at all into Nic and Marie's bathroom and was curious to see what layout and fittings they had chosen. So they must be organising that without her. I don't recall any mention of how it was being paid for though.

Reactions: 5
Noticed that Nicā€™s new bathroom has linoleum floor unlike the stone and tile floor in the longest bathroom reno in the history of France. So I really think the renovations are separate or at least the materials must be. We all know SJ isnā€™t putting lino around her copper tub!

Also, I make sure to avoid any of the YT Q&A Live videos because it is basically a telethon. One question asked and answered followed up by (use the Gift Grab OTT voice) thank you Brenda Gibbons (or any super fan name) for (insert ridiculous over the top amount) we are just overwhelmed by your generosity etc etc etc. Instant gratification versus waiting months for SJ to open and swoon over peacock broach.

Not sure if that is tracked with ad revenue but it all has to add up. She is really making bank.
Itā€™s all revenue of course but do the YT ā€˜superchatā€™ donors know that for the instant gratification the YT cut is 40%?!

SJ mentioned in one vlog that she had no input at all into Nic and Marie's bathroom and was curious to see what layout and fittings they had chosen. So they must be organising that without her. I don't recall any mention of how it was being paid for though.
Through Nicā€™s appearances on ā€œThe Masked Singerā€.

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.